SOUTHAMPTON WORLD and STAR BAR:........
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HOME TO LIVERPOOL

3 posters

Go down

HOME TO LIVERPOOL Empty HOME TO LIVERPOOL

Post  SaintMike Thu 15 Aug 2019, 1:16 pm

On paper this one is a foregone conclusion........ but, at the moment, the vibes are telling me that Saints won't lose!! We'll see......
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male
Number of posts : 15087
Job/hobbies : Trying to control users of Southampton World
Humor : Forgotten what that is
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://www.ohwhenthesaints.net

Back to top Go down

HOME TO LIVERPOOL Empty Re: HOME TO LIVERPOOL

Post  matty07uk Fri 16 Aug 2019, 6:52 pm

Will need Ralph to get the selection right, we need to strengthen the midfield so cannot start Ings, Redmond and Adams, I would leave Ings on the bench but doubt that will happen, 4 at the back with Yoshida in, so a chance to play 4222, Romeau and Danso as the defensive midfield, Hojberg and Ward Prowse attacking midfield with Adams and Redmond up front.

If he plays that formation then think will be closer than people think but if we play 5 at the back or 3 up front will concede at least 3 goals. Hoping he picks right shape and going with a 2 - 1 defeat but a boost for confidence with Brighton and Bournemouth coming up
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male
Number of posts : 3461
Job/hobbies : Golf
Humor : The Simpsons
Registration date : 2009-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Sun 18 Aug 2019, 8:01 pm

Well a better performance but similar to last season we do not take our chances when on top then made individual errors at the back to concede. With only one new player on the pitch no real surprise that still the same. Yoshida started and went with two up front which I think did help us though we still have 5 at the back due to the poor standard of defenders at the club.

Slow to start Liverpool had three chances in the first 5 minutes but after about 20 minutes we started to get into the game and did create chances. Adams was holding the ball up well and showed his upper body strength. Liverpool were not that great and caused themselves  few problems with playing the ball around at the back, Ward Prowse charged a clearance down but went wide, Ings was to have more, luck later but showed a complacency in their team,. Plus Van Dyke was constantly berating his colleagues, even for his own mistakes, He maybe a great player but he is a complete arrogant jerk. We created a few problems from corners, good to see Adams stay beyond the far post as we never normally play anyone there. Yoshida just missed getting a deflection on a ball in from a corner from Ward Prowse. From another corner, Yoshida completely lost Van Dyke, met his header well but Adrian made a good reflex save. Adams should have opened his account with a cross in from the right and though under some pressure should have hit the target but headed over.

Although we now have VAR the problem is it doesn't raise the standard of poor refereeing that we have seen over the last few years, in fact may increase their poor performance as they know VAR will sort out wrong decisions around goals. His booking of Romeu a complete joke, Romeu was playing really well in the middle, he stretched for the ball but got there, Robertson falls down, and not only does Mariner give a free kick when it wasn't but books Romeu, 10 minuets later Milner takes out Ward Prowse and just spoken to. Mane also made a  bad foul off the ball when it had gone out for a throwing and no card.  Referees are far to "friendly" with players at the big clubs as they like to be seen as their "mates".

Having outplayed Liverpool from 20 minutes yet again went to sleep right on the stroke of half time, from a corner ball ended up with Mane, Bertrand gave him far to much space allowing him to create space to get a shot in as he does often and gave Gunn no chance, second half  we were on the back foot and Gunn made some good saves. Valerey was in my view hopeless, he was caught out of position so often which pulled a central defender across. Ings came on for Romeu, think Ralph figured Mariner would send him off given half a chance but left us with two in midfield and conceded almost immediately, the second goal was an individual error, with Bedanek dithering on the ball and not clearing allowing Firmino the chance to shoot past Gunn but all came from the right hand corner and Valerey  no where to be
seen. Appreciate Cedric is less of a threat going forward but he is a better defender.    

Ings had a good shot just past the post, Adrian then saved well from a Liverpool defender and then we got a lifeline when Adrian did the same as first half and Ings closing got the rebound to spark the crowd. Ings should then have equalised when he had a great chance but failed to make a decent connection and no one at the back post to tap in. Djenepo came on and booked for his first tackle, then hacked down no foul given, really does make you wonder about the integrity of referees.  such as Mariner. His first touch looks pretty poor at the moment but then so was Mane when he first joined so hopefully will turn out like him, Mane undoubtedly the best player for Liverpool, Salah some nice flicks but dived constantly, Dyche will love it when they play Burnley. So 2 games and no points, Brighton will be tough as they are playing well. As mentioned at start only 1 new player on  the pitch so hardly a surprise we do not look much better than last season. Gao has shown to be  a dodgy owner, borrowed the money to buy the club, dubious past with Chinese Govt, and probably the most bizarre sponsorship deal ever taken place, with still no first team shorts in the store. In a way poetic justice as he is looking to fleece the fans so less money for him to make. Cannot see Ralph being here at the end of the season and a good manager but not a miracle worker.

Gunn 7 no chance with the goals but made several good saves.
Bertrand 6  should have done better with the first goal, but knows he is a regular as no alternative
Yoshida 7 a couple of errors and a couple of decent attempts on goal but our best defender
Vestergard 6 decent first half in heading clear poor second half like Bambi on ice and so slow.
Bedanek 5 at fault for the second goal and not sure improving.
Valerey 4 very disappointing, out of position, looked short of fitness yet start of season and only 19. Had hands up his sleeves, it was hot and needs a kick up his rear
Romeu 7 good game ruined by Mariner, plenty of good tackles and blocks
Ward Prowse 6 decent corners and worked hard but still looked lightweight
Hojberg 6 okay performance but still gives the ball away in dangerous positions
Redmond 6 poor at tracking back, not at his best
Adams 6 held the ball up well, looksl like he needa to play alongside a CF so maybe strat him and Ings, should have scored
Subs

Ings 6 good shot, got a goal but missed a sitter
Djenepo 6 has raw pace not sure what else but I remember Mane when he first started so hope
Armstrong 5 ran about a bit but didn't really do anything. would have preferred Danso to have been given 10 minutes in midfield.
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete from Oz Mon 19 Aug 2019, 10:12 am

Thanks Matty.
Pete from Oz
Pete from Oz
A VOICE TO BE LISTENED TO

Male
Number of posts : 716
Humor : Improving
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintMike Mon 19 Aug 2019, 11:14 am

Thanks Matty.

I watched the full game on Sky and agree with much of what you say.   I was not impressed with Armstrong's performance and don't think he should be a starter.   I'd prefer to see Boufal given another try.
I think you were a little hard on Djenepo........ he looked dangerous whenever he got the ball and I think he deserves more game time.
I agree Adams could benefit by having a striker alongside him but I am not too sure about Ings.   Maybe Ings and Obafemi could both be given time alongside Adams.
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male
Number of posts : 15087
Job/hobbies : Trying to control users of Southampton World
Humor : Forgotten what that is
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://www.ohwhenthesaints.net

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Mon 19 Aug 2019, 8:38 pm

Armstrong will only be a squad player on the subs bench but lacks the physical strength to make an impact, I would rather see Danso add some bite to midfield. Think Boufal will be fighting for a place with Djenepo. I didn't think I was being hard on Djenepo, was saying he reminded me of Mane when he first arrived, if he turns out like Mane I will be more than happy Very Happy . Has raw pace and that will cause problems but his first touch wasn't great and needs to stay on his feet, didn't see what his shooting is like.
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete from Oz Tue 20 Aug 2019, 8:05 am

Thanks guys. Still just the three of us eh ?

Pete from Oz
Pete from Oz

Male
Number of posts : 716
Humor : Improving
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content