SOUTHAMPTON WORLD and STAR BAR:........
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anthony Gerrard in January?

4 posters

Go down

Anthony Gerrard in January? Empty Anthony Gerrard in January?

Post  SaintMike Fri 05 Sep 2008, 12:14 pm

Pinched this from another website, do you think it would be worth Saints making an effort to sign him?

'Having failed in our bid to lure Steve’s cousin Anthony Gerrard to Southampton on deadline day, the focus will now be on raising the capital to make a fresh approach for the transfer-listed wantaway in the new year. Walsall manager Jimmy Mullen is clearly worried that his two-time player of the season might be making plans already, so much so that he has issued a warning to Gerrard about his future.

Mullen is reported in the Midlands paper The Express & Star as saying “Anthony is a very, very important member of our first team squad and if he plays to his capabilities he is a very big player for us.

“He has to clear his mind, because what I can’t afford is for anything to get in the way, in terms of his thoughts being elsewhere. I cannot afford to have players like that in the team.

“He has got to be bright and clear about the job in hand. I have told him if he is not 100 per cent right then he doesn’t play.”

There was rumoured interest from both Birmingham and Reading, but Southampton are believed to have made a firm offer for the player at the dusk of the transfer window. This was instantly rejected by chairman Jeff Posner, who has suggested that “a substantial offer” would be required, even though he hinted Gerrard himself may well have been keen on the move.

The obstacles in our way are that Saints don’t have the money for “a substantial offer” of the kind Posner most likely has in mind. Also, Birmingham and Reading realistically offer Gerrard the greater chance of Premiership football next season. However, with four months left to go, Saints have time to put things in place and we have plenty to attract a 22-year-old looking to establish himself up a level before making the big leap to the top flight.

So don’t hold your breath, but this story could well reignite come January. Or maybe sooner, but let’s hope we don’t stoop to tapping him up. Because that would just be wrong, wouldn’t it? ;-)

In this modern age, with increased player power and agents controlling things ever more, will Walsall be able to keep hold of Gerrard when he’s stated his wish to leave and approaches are being made? And if not, do you think we stand a better chance of signing him in January?'
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male
Number of posts : 15087
Job/hobbies : Trying to control users of Southampton World
Humor : Forgotten what that is
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://www.ohwhenthesaints.net

Back to top Go down

Anthony Gerrard in January? Empty Re: Anthony Gerrard in January?

Post  bloop Fri 05 Sep 2008, 1:11 pm

If he's over 6ft, has a bit of pace and half the skill of his cousin, would certainly be a good signing.

I've never seen him play, so can not judge really. 2 times player of the season is a good sign of his consistency. How much money do we have, considering we made the offer at the end of the transfer window, probably knowing we couldn't shift Skacel or Euell?
bloop
A VOICE TO BE LISTENED TO

Male
Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2008-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  SFC Forever Sat 06 Sep 2008, 10:27 pm

What beats me is why Lowe waited till too late to try to buy him. Has Jan just realised how badly we need someone for the back row? Or is he (Lowe) playing mind games with us all? We all know how much Schneiderlin cost so is there some more that he has been hanging onto?
There isn't a football follower in the country that doesn't know of our defensive problems. Every man and his dog could and some people do take great pleasure in letting us know about our frailties. The manager has by now a good idea of who is going to make it and who isn't.
Now I have to ask whether any of our forum members know much about Wallsall's star player over the last two years. Is he worth the money? And, more importantly, if he is any good why didn't Lowe find an answer sooner? Take him on loan. Offer a price with the current offer as a downpayment. Does this man not realise how often we have accepted a lower price than we wanted for a player? Is his visor only able to work one way?
I have loved my football team since the year dot. I will never understand fully the ramifications of ownership. That though does not stop me from wanting more and more information about my team. We all love our team but everyone of us will know exactly what I mean when I say that, from the minute I wake and occasionally, even in my dreams Southampton is MY TEAM. All day and everyday it is MY TEAM. As a young boy I would dream about playing for MY TEAM. Now I can only pray that my youngest will be good enough to play for DADDYS' TEAM.
I could go on but one day we all want to see the SAINTS back in the Premiership. I just cannot see Lowe staying the course. How good this player is can not be as important as how much money Lowe has left to spend. There were and are ways to get players in to help. Lowe will never convince me that he has turned every stone to endeavour success in bringing players to OUR CLUB. It is still possible to bring in players.
I would not be at all surprised to see this particular player move in the January window.I would be if it was to Southampton. I hope that I am wrong and Lowe does know what he is doing.
My apoligies for rambling on for so long but the original question showed exactly how we are being run.
SAINTS FOR EVER
SFC Forever
SFC Forever
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male
Number of posts : 12257
Job/hobbies : Hoping to see Saints win
Registration date : 2008-09-01

http://www.southampton.vitalfootball.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlie Wayman Sun 07 Sep 2008, 5:11 pm

Let's be honest with ourselves, Liverpool lads do not play soccer the way Jan Poortvliet (and most fans) want it played. Steven Gerrard is a physical player. He runs with the ball and through other players, he does not make the ball do the work. There is no craft or subtlety to his play and in a couple of years when his energy starts to sag he will become useless. Chances are any relative of his will be of the same mold as indeed have been most of the Scouse loanees who let's be honest, have hardly graced our lawn with silky skills over the past few years. If we want to nich yougsters then we should be eyeing up The Emirates not The Kop.
Charlie Wayman
SILENT OBSERVER
SILENT OBSERVER

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintMike Mon 08 Sep 2008, 9:07 am

Charlie Wayman wrote:Let's be honest with ourselves, Liverpool lads do not play soccer the way Jan Poortvliet (and most fans) want it played. Steven Gerrard is a physical player. He runs with the ball and through other players, he does not make the ball do the work. There is no craft or subtlety to his play and in a couple of years when his energy starts to sag he will become useless

I always thought Steven Gerrard was below Saints' standard...! ;)
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  bloop Mon 08 Sep 2008, 9:13 am

Charlie Wayman wrote:Let's be honest with ourselves, Liverpool lads do not play soccer the way Jan Poortvliet (and most fans) want it played. Steven Gerrard is a physical player. He runs with the ball and through other players, he does not make the ball do the work. There is no craft or subtlety to his play and in a couple of years when his energy starts to sag he will become useless. Chances are any relative of his will be of the same mold as indeed have been most of the Scouse loanees who let's be honest, have hardly graced our lawn with silky skills over the past few years. If we want to nich yougsters then we should be eyeing up The Emirates not The Kop.

He does let the ball do the work sometimes. For instance; at the end of a match when he no longer has the energy to bundle through defenders, he'll boot it from 30 yards into the back of the net.
bloop

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintMike Wed 10 Sep 2008, 1:03 pm

It seems Coventry could also be in for the boy... http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=857367
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  bloop Wed 10 Sep 2008, 1:23 pm

Can they compete with our revolutionary coaching setup?
bloop

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintMike Wed 10 Sep 2008, 1:29 pm

Could they pay more?
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  bloop Wed 10 Sep 2008, 1:39 pm

SaintMike wrote:Could they pay more?

Would we want to? I still haven't seen him play, so not particularly sure of his value.
bloop

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  SFC Forever Thu 11 Sep 2008, 9:47 am

Looking around I have seen more clubs seem to be taking notice of him. Will only push price up beyond us if we don't do something fast.
SFC Forever
SFC Forever
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  bloop Thu 11 Sep 2008, 9:57 am

His price should only go up to his value, there's plenty more fish in the sea and all that.

For every Viafara, there's a Schneiderlin etc etc. If we don't get him, they'll be someone else as good or better available I'm sure.
bloop

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  SFC Forever Thu 11 Sep 2008, 11:16 am

Agreed. I'm still wondering whether we will ever see Jan bring a player from his old team or league to Saints.
SFC Forever
SFC Forever
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down