SOUTHAMPTON WORLD and STAR BAR:........
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A LITTLE MATTER OF THE LEAGUE CUP.......

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A LITTLE MATTER OF THE LEAGUE CUP....... Empty A LITTLE MATTER OF THE LEAGUE CUP.......

Post  SaintMike Tue 28 Aug 2012, 12:33 am

Away to Stevenage tomorrow, could be tricky I think. I imagine that, as is now the fashion, a large number of changes will be made to the starting line-up. I read somewhere that Lee is likely to play. Good idea, but not if he is going to get injured again and be out of the team once more......let's face it, that's the sort of thing that would happen to a Saints player. Sad

Now, do we want to win this game or is it just a nuisance when we are trying to concentrate on the League? My first thought was that it might be best to lose this so the team can concentrate all their efforts on the League...... but then I thought again. I have felt all along that if Saints can just scrape survival in the Premiership I shall view this as a satisfactory season, but if we can couple scraping survival in the Premiership with reaching the final of one of the Cup competitions then I would view this as a successful season (not just a satisfactory one). So, I should like to see us do well in the cups.

As for the Stevenage match tomorrow, like I said, I think this is going to be tricky. I'd like to see us win, to remind the squad what winning feels like, but a draw (possibly 1-1) is what we might be happy to settle for I think.
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male
Number of posts : 15087
Job/hobbies : Trying to control users of Southampton World
Humor : Forgotten what that is
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://www.ohwhenthesaints.net

Back to top Go down

A LITTLE MATTER OF THE LEAGUE CUP....... Empty Re: A LITTLE MATTER OF THE LEAGUE CUP.......

Post  matty07uk Tue 28 Aug 2012, 8:26 pm

I see none of the starting 11 from saturday though I would have included Fonte and Guly though guess his drink drive arrest may not have helped. Bench is full of kids except Kelvin the team which shows why we still need a goalie. Richardson playing at CH again hope Cortese is watching!

just heard a rumour Walcott mught be at St Marys, that would be a turn up if true.
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male
Number of posts : 3461
Job/hobbies : Golf
Humor : The Simpsons
Registration date : 2009-07-11

Back to top Go down

A LITTLE MATTER OF THE LEAGUE CUP....... Empty Re: A LITTLE MATTER OF THE LEAGUE CUP.......

Post  Nostromo Tue 28 Aug 2012, 9:38 pm

Good 4-1 win in the end after a dodgy first half.
Nostromo
Nostromo
A VOICE TO BE LISTENED TO

Male
Number of posts : 774
Humor : Warped
Registration date : 2010-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintMike Tue 28 Aug 2012, 11:57 pm

4 good goals for Lee, Sharp, Puncheon and Reeves by the sound of things.
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostromo Wed 29 Aug 2012, 1:37 pm

The Puncheon one was spectacular by all accounts and the Reeves one wasn't bad either.
Nostromo
Nostromo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintMike Sun 23 Sep 2012, 1:01 am

SaintMike wrote:Away to Stevenage tomorrow, could be tricky I think. I imagine that, as is now the fashion, a large number of changes will be made to the starting line-up. I read somewhere that Lee is likely to play. Good idea, but not if he is going to get injured again and be out of the team once more......let's face it, that's the sort of thing that would happen to a Saints player. Sad

Now, do we want to win this game or is it just a nuisance when we are trying to concentrate on the League? My first thought was that it might be best to lose this so the team can concentrate all their efforts on the League...... but then I thought again. I have felt all along that if Saints can just scrape survival in the Premiership I shall view this as a satisfactory season, but if we can couple scraping survival in the Premiership with reaching the final of one of the Cup competitions then I would view this as a successful season (not just a satisfactory one). So, I should like to see us do well in the cups.

It would be nice to see a win for Saints against Wednesday for the reasons in the second paragraph above. Imagine it will be a very different line-up from the Villa game, plus I guess Boruc will get his first appearance.
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostromo Tue 25 Sep 2012, 7:12 pm

Saints team for this evening: Gazzaniga, Richardson, Yoshida, Hooiveld (c), Seaborne, Cork, Ward-Prowse, Chaplow, Guly, De Ridder, Rodriguez

Substitutes: K Davis, Butterfield, Dominic Gape, Andy Robinson, Hoskins, Sinclair, Reeves
Nostromo
Nostromo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Tue 25 Sep 2012, 9:43 pm

Solid 2 - 0 win with Rodrigues scoring both which has to be good. A clean sheet as well, first of the season!!

Good workout for a number of players
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintMike Tue 25 Sep 2012, 10:06 pm

No Tad Lee again, is he still injured? Dominic Gape is a new name to me...
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintMike Wed 26 Sep 2012, 11:47 am

SaintMike wrote:No Tad Lee again, is he still injured? Dominic Gape is a new name to me...

On the OS.....

“Luke Shaw has been ill for the past few days and we can’t risk him on the back of his illness,” he revealed.

“Unfortunately Tadanari Lee has got an elbow injury which might keep him out for a week or so, whilst Emmanuel (Mayuka) got a block tackle when he nearly scored on Saturday and has hurt his ankle a little bit which isn’t anything major and should be back in the next couple of days.”
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Wed 26 Sep 2012, 6:34 pm

Just shows with injuries 3 players who would have thought would play not available. disappointing about Tadanari lee, hopefully just a run of unlucky injuries but hasnt been fit very often yet.

Obviously Boruc not considered fit enough which is a shame as I think he will end up first choice and be interesting who plays at Everton, Gazzinga made some good stops by all account but dodgy on a couple of crosses. On basis of played 2 won 2 guess it has to be Gazzinger to start
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintMike Wed 26 Sep 2012, 11:36 pm

Next round away to Leeds.
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Thu 27 Sep 2012, 7:52 pm

Crap draw, would rather have had Arsenal, Chelsea or Man U. problem with Leeds and Warnock is will look to kick us off the park so picking up injuries a real issue. Stick with the same 11 as started against Sheff Wed, maybe resting Yoshida.
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintMike Sun 28 Oct 2012, 11:27 pm

Away to Leeds Tuesday, tough but getting closer if we can make it through.....
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostromo Tue 30 Oct 2012, 4:11 pm

I can see a defeat coming on here. Hope not, if only for the fact that my ex-brother in law supports them and he's a first-class c**t.
Nostromo
Nostromo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostromo Tue 30 Oct 2012, 8:22 pm

1-0 down and our successful season continues Rolling Eyes . I only have the radio commentary to go by but Saints sound awful; no cutting edge and defending like clowns despite it being a completely different team. It sounds as if Guly is our best player. Shocked
Nostromo
Nostromo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Tue 30 Oct 2012, 8:33 pm

I do despair at times, how could he possibly expect Lee and Mayuka to form a partnership? No height between them cant speak any english and you wonder why we are all over the place, we have no attack. Thought he would have had one proper centre forward either playing or at very least on the bench.
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostromo Tue 30 Oct 2012, 8:39 pm

I know that Adkins probably doesn't want to risk first team players, especially as they played 48 hours ago, but why not put out some of that team out tonight or at least have some of them on the bench, ready to bring on when needed? A good result would do wonders for their probably fragile confidence. Fringe players are involved, there are kids - some who I have never heard of! - on the bench so we have no experience there. Nigel may not be taking the cup seriously but going behind in each and every game has got tiresome.

I see a much changed Arsenal team are 4-0 down to Reading - who have put out a near full-strength team. If Reading can do it, why can't we? Watch them get some confidence and string together a few results.

I can hear chants of 'One Nigel Adkins' but, honestly, he's lost the plot. Loyalty is very nice and Nigel is a nice bloke but these results are embarrassing.

Hope he and they can turn things round in the second half.

Last edited by Nostromo on Tue 30 Oct 2012, 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nostromo
Nostromo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Tue 30 Oct 2012, 8:46 pm

The problem is nothing on the bench, at least if he had put a couple of experienced players on the bench he would have had some options. de ridder, lee and mayuka or in the same team? Where's the balance? I think the average age of the bench will be about 19!

Will be amazed if he turns this around down to the squad he has picked, know Pardew hacked Cortese off when he was told promotion was the key and to ignore the cups, maybe he said the same to Adkins who has duly delivered as to sacred of the sack to do anything different.
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostromo Tue 30 Oct 2012, 8:51 pm

Well, if results across the board don't improve, then Adkins will get the boot anyway. There's not point sacking him for the sake of it and without a replacement lined up, but this disastrous run of results is just grim and something has to give. I feel sorry for the travelling fans who paid to watch this crap.

This is still woeful, into the second half.
Nostromo
Nostromo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostromo Tue 30 Oct 2012, 9:04 pm

"I have yet to write down, on the hour mark, any chances of note for Saints" said Adam Blackmore just now. Says it all.
Nostromo
Nostromo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Tue 30 Oct 2012, 9:14 pm

Theres no excuse for putting out a side with no ambition, no clue and no hope. Players would have known that at the start.
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostromo Tue 30 Oct 2012, 9:18 pm

Youngster Lloyd Isgrove sounded useful when he came on, but that's about it. This isn't dire. It's worse than that. It's insipid and clueless.
Nostromo
Nostromo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostromo Tue 30 Oct 2012, 9:30 pm

2-0 with a couple of minutes to go. We're not going to score if we were there until next week, so this one can be written off.

That was crap. Utter crap. Yes, this is a cup game with a completely changed team but this result can't be taken in isolation. The season, so far, is a disaster. Evil or Very Mad

The one ray of sunshine was Isgrove, he sounded useful but the rest of them, particularly Seaborne, are shite.
Nostromo
Nostromo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Tue 30 Oct 2012, 9:35 pm

Really do wonder about Adkins now and whether finding it just to much. He could have played some of the first team if only for 45 mins, dont play till next Monday, Lambert and Rodrigues could easily have done 45 min which would have boosted the rest of the team. Playing Mayuka and Lee was simply a poor manager decision and shows no fight which worrying is what the team have been doing recently. Could have played Puncheon and Davis. Have no doubt now Cortese has made up his mind to replace Adkins but will mean the players also know he is on the way out.

matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next