SOUTHAMPTON WORLD and STAR BAR:........
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CHELSEA CROWELL, SINGING GRANDDAUGHTER OF JOHNNY CASH

+2
ChelseaJaneCrowell
SaintMike
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

CHELSEA CROWELL, SINGING GRANDDAUGHTER OF JOHNNY CASH Empty CHELSEA CROWELL, SINGING GRANDDAUGHTER OF JOHNNY CASH

Post  SaintMike Sun 28 Aug 2011, 1:06 am

Young singer/songwriter Chelsea Crowell, daughter of Roseanne Cash and Rodney Crowell, granddaughter of the legend Johnny Cash, is about to join us.........please give her a warm welcome!!

CHELSEA CROWELL, SINGING GRANDDAUGHTER OF JOHNNY CASH Tu091229Chelsea_Crowell_The_480x172

From rivettingriffs website....

Singer-Songwriter Chelsea Crowell’s music sounds like what one might expect if Alison Krauss were to go to a party and upon arriving there she decided to jam with Joan Baez and the Los Angeles band Raining Jane. On her website, Chelsea Crowell’s biography describes her music as a mixture of country and alternative pop genres, and this writer would suggest that that is too limiting of a description for the musical influences that we hear in her songs. Chelsea Crowell borrows more from traditional folk, or what some might call Americana, with some bluegrass influences. She also creates a hybrid of pop and what we will describe as alt noire folk and yes she does have some country grooves as well.

CHELSEA CROWELL, SINGING GRANDDAUGHTER OF JOHNNY CASH ChelseaCrowell01

One should not be surprised that Chelsea Crowell’s musical influences are so eclectic for her mother, Grammy Award winning singer – songwriter Rosanne Cash, also pulled from a number of genres and sub-genres, Ms. Crowell’s grandfather was country music legend Johnny Cash and her father is Grammy Award winning Country / Americana singer-songwriter Rodney Crowell. Even though Ms. Crowell moved from Nashville to New York City with her mother when she was ten years old, the influences of the deep south also inform her music, and perhaps not surprisingly, considering she attended colleges in Memphis, Charleston and Nashville.

CHELSEA CROWELL, SINGING GRANDDAUGHTER OF JOHNNY CASH 5050464788_851a829531_z
CHELSEA WITH HER MOTHER ROSEANNE CASH

What Chelsea Crowell has successfully done with her first album is establish herself as an artist who is not afraid to experiment and who is willing to dabble in several musical genres and sub-genres, while pulling it off in style.
We would strongly suggest that music fans pick up a copy of Chelsea Crowell’s self-titled album, because someday it will be a collector’s item. This is the first step in what looks like it will be a long and successful career by a gifted singer-songwriter who is about to follow in the footsteps of her illustrious family, only she is doing it her way, with her own signature sound.

CHELSEA CROWELL, SINGING GRANDDAUGHTER OF JOHNNY CASH Studio_tub_close_resized

There’s something very appealing about an artist who actually has a little bit of self doubt in this world of overly confident pop stars who more often than not are filled with about as much substance as the pouch of sour patch kids I had for breakfast. It also evokes a bit of a Punk ethos, in that the artist doesn’t hold themselves above you and I. Relatable isn’t a bad thing.

Upon mentioning this to Crowell, I discover I wasn’t far off the mark. “Oh yeah, I was a diehard Misfits, Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedy’s fan. I wore the bondage pants and hung out on St. Marks street and went to The Casualties’ shows when I was way underage.”

She continues on enthusiastically, “I was really passionate about music from early on but I was really passionate about listening to it. I didn’t really start playing until I was older. I have very vivid memories of the first song I ever heard that affected me. I think I was like four and it was an Everly Brothers’ song, “Cathy’s Clown”. I remember having a god like experience going, ‘Oh my god. This is out here? I’m totally in for life, I’m ready’”.

In the studio now working on a new record, Crowell says that fans can expect a similar tone to her debut, “I’ve actually been thinking a lot about that, comparing the two but not in a vain way. I just don’t it want it to be worse than my last record cause that was kind of disastrous. A lot of the songs are still moody and they’re in the same sort of writing style. I’m just trying to make them a little bit more matured and correct anything I thought of as mistakes on the last album.”

CHELSEA CROWELL, SINGING GRANDDAUGHTER OF JOHNNY CASH Chelsea%20crowell%20guitar%20cropped
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male
Number of posts : 15087
Job/hobbies : Trying to control users of Southampton World
Humor : Forgotten what that is
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://www.ohwhenthesaints.net

Back to top Go down

CHELSEA CROWELL, SINGING GRANDDAUGHTER OF JOHNNY CASH Empty Re: CHELSEA CROWELL, SINGING GRANDDAUGHTER OF JOHNNY CASH

Post  ChelseaJaneCrowell Sun 28 Aug 2011, 1:31 am

Thanks for the warm welcome Mike. x
ChelseaJaneCrowell
ChelseaJaneCrowell
SPECIAL GUEST
SPECIAL GUEST

Female
Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-08-28

Back to top Go down

CHELSEA CROWELL, SINGING GRANDDAUGHTER OF JOHNNY CASH Empty Re: CHELSEA CROWELL, SINGING GRANDDAUGHTER OF JOHNNY CASH

Post  SaintMike Sun 28 Aug 2011, 1:39 am

Hi, your music seems to be a mix of country, bluegrass, folk, pop and various other forms. Who do you think influenced you? When you started singing who did you want to be?
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintMike Sun 28 Aug 2011, 1:42 am

I read that when you were very young you were affected by the Everly Brothers' classic Cathy's Clown. Can you tell us about that please?
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  North End Mam Sun 28 Aug 2011, 1:45 am

Hi
Thanks for doing this for us.
Were you very close to your grandfather Johnny Cash? Did you ever sing with him? Can you tell us any stories about him?
North End Mam
North End Mam
A VOICE TO BE LISTENED TO

Female
Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2009-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post  North End Mam Sun 28 Aug 2011, 1:47 am

Not easy, but could you try to give us your biography in a couple of paragraphs?
North End Mam
North End Mam

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  North End Mam Sun 28 Aug 2011, 1:49 am

Have you ever visited the UK? if you have, what memories do you have of the country?
North End Mam
North End Mam

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  DellBoy Sun 28 Aug 2011, 1:52 am

Hi, There is a picture of you on your back in a bathtub. What is that about? Was it to promote a record?
DellBoy
DellBoy

Male
Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2009-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post  DellBoy Sun 28 Aug 2011, 1:54 am

Have there been some times things have not gone quite right for you? Any embarrassing moments?
DellBoy
DellBoy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  DellBoy Sun 28 Aug 2011, 1:56 am

Do you have any ideas about how you want your music to progress? Do you plan to change direction in any way?
DellBoy
DellBoy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Jillyanne Sun 28 Aug 2011, 1:58 am

Welcome!! I see you write your own songs. Have any of your songs been recorded by other artists?
Jillyanne
Jillyanne

Female
Number of posts : 690
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Jillyanne Sun 28 Aug 2011, 2:00 am

Have you always sung solo? Or have you sung with a group?
Jillyanne
Jillyanne

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Jillyanne Sun 28 Aug 2011, 2:01 am

Are there any singers you would particularly like to sing with?
Jillyanne
Jillyanne

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintsChick Sun 28 Aug 2011, 2:02 am

Hiya! Are you superstitious in any way? Is there anything you do for good luck?
SaintsChick
SaintsChick

Female
Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2009-07-30

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintsChick Sun 28 Aug 2011, 2:05 am

Have any of your recordings or songs been used in movies?
SaintsChick
SaintsChick

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintsChick Sun 28 Aug 2011, 2:06 am

Is there any chance you will appear on television soon, anything likely to be shown in the UK?
SaintsChick
SaintsChick

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintsChick Sun 28 Aug 2011, 2:10 am

if you were not a singer/songwriter what job would you like to do?
SaintsChick
SaintsChick

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintsChick Sun 28 Aug 2011, 2:17 am

Answer these so we can see what makes you tick?

1. Do friends have a pet name or nickname for you?

2. At school were you well-behaved or how did you get in trouble?

3 What hobbies do you pursue?

4 Do you drive? What would be your ideal car to drive?

5 If you were offered a part in a TV series, which series would you choose?

6 What sort of music do you listen to and who are your favourite singers/groups (past or present)?

7 What are or were your favourite TV programmes?

8. What are your favourite plays?

9. What are your favourite books?

10 Who is your favourite actor? And actress?

11 What product would you like to be given a contract to advertise?

12 Do you have any pets?

13 What is your favourite meal?

14 What is your favourite drink?

15. What musical instruments can you play?

16. Which colours do you prefer wearing?

17. What is your ideal holiday/vacation?

18 Are you married or do you have a partner? And children?

19 What is your favourite joke?

20 Is there anything you regret not having done in your life so far and do you have any ambitions you hope to fulfil?
SaintsChick
SaintsChick

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  ChelseaJaneCrowell Wed 28 Sep 2011, 1:42 pm

oh shit. i feel like the dog ate my homework. sorry for taking so long.
ChelseaJaneCrowell
ChelseaJaneCrowell
SPECIAL GUEST
SPECIAL GUEST

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  ChelseaJaneCrowell Wed 28 Sep 2011, 1:43 pm

SaintMike wrote:Hi, your music seems to be a mix of country, bluegrass, folk, pop and various other forms. Who do you think influenced you? When you started singing who did you want to be?

hmm, i don't think i was self aware enough to know what influenced me. i wanted to be debbie harry. i suppose just constantly being around music is what influenced me.

ChelseaJaneCrowell
ChelseaJaneCrowell
SPECIAL GUEST
SPECIAL GUEST

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  ChelseaJaneCrowell Wed 28 Sep 2011, 1:44 pm

SaintMike wrote:I read that when you were very young you were affected by the Everly Brothers' classic Cathy's Clown. Can you tell us about that please?

my first memory of music. made me like life.
ChelseaJaneCrowell
ChelseaJaneCrowell
SPECIAL GUEST
SPECIAL GUEST

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  ChelseaJaneCrowell Wed 28 Sep 2011, 1:45 pm

North End Mam wrote:Hi
Thanks for doing this for us.
Were you very close to your grandfather Johnny Cash? Did you ever sing with him? Can you tell us any stories about him?

don't want to answer this.
ChelseaJaneCrowell
ChelseaJaneCrowell
SPECIAL GUEST
SPECIAL GUEST

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  ChelseaJaneCrowell Wed 28 Sep 2011, 1:46 pm

North End Mam wrote:Not easy, but could you try to give us your biography in a couple of paragraphs?

i really like beer and laying by the pool. otherwise there are too many things to say.
ChelseaJaneCrowell
ChelseaJaneCrowell
SPECIAL GUEST
SPECIAL GUEST

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  ChelseaJaneCrowell Wed 28 Sep 2011, 1:48 pm

North End Mam wrote:Have you ever visited the UK? if you have, what memories do you have of the country?

i saw forest gump in london and had a crush on some boy that i hung out with when i was 12 in london.

ChelseaJaneCrowell
ChelseaJaneCrowell
SPECIAL GUEST
SPECIAL GUEST

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  ChelseaJaneCrowell Wed 28 Sep 2011, 1:49 pm

DellBoy wrote:Hi, There is a picture of you on your back in a bathtub. What is that about? Was it to promote a record?

thats just how i was rolling that day. i wanted the reverb from the bathtub in a vocal take we were recording and i usually am prone to lay down when given the chance. i really like to do as many things as i can laying down. so it was a win/ win situation and Loney documented it.
ChelseaJaneCrowell
ChelseaJaneCrowell
SPECIAL GUEST
SPECIAL GUEST

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next