SOUTHAMPTON WORLD and STAR BAR:........
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FIRST TIME LOWE HAS MET THE PLAYERS?

3 posters

Go down

FIRST TIME LOWE HAS MET THE PLAYERS? Empty FIRST TIME LOWE HAS MET THE PLAYERS?

Post  SaintMike Wed 29 Oct 2008, 6:54 pm

Taken from the BBC Sport webpages....

Lowe gave Saints pre-match talk

Chairman Lowe addressed the Saints players in the dressing room
Southampton striker David McGoldrick revealed that chairman Rupert Lowe addressed the team in their dressing room before the 1-1 draw with Coventry.

McGoldrick, 20, told BBC Radio Solent: "It was good for the players to meet him, I don't think many had met him.

"He [Lowe] has come back and it is a young squad. He clarified the position the club is in.

"They cannot afford the money at the minute, so the top wage earners had to come out."
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male
Number of posts : 15087
Job/hobbies : Trying to control users of Southampton World
Humor : Forgotten what that is
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://www.ohwhenthesaints.net

Back to top Go down

FIRST TIME LOWE HAS MET THE PLAYERS? Empty Re: FIRST TIME LOWE HAS MET THE PLAYERS?

Post  Jimmy Melia's Barber Thu 30 Oct 2008, 11:15 am

Had to laugh at this:

What did Woopert say to the players? By Del Killjoy
Posted on Thursday 30 Oct 2008 08:37:00

In an interview with BBC Radio Solent, Saints’ top scorer David McGoldrick revealed that Southampton Plc Chairman Rupert Lowe spoke to the players before kick-off in order to explain to them the club’s financial situation. Were there any of them who were not aware of this? If not, what else did he have to say to them that could possibly have helped?

McGoldrick revealed that “It was good for the players to meet him, I don't think many had met him. He has come back and it is a young squad.”

In many ways, it is therefore a healthy sign that Lowe was keen to introduce himself to a squad facing a difficult situation. But immediately before a match? How was this going to motivate them?

“He clarified the position the club is in. They cannot afford the money at the minute, so the top wage earners had to come out.”

It is inevitable that with Stern John now missing, together with so many others, the young players would be concerned about the direction of the club. And I suppose for an effective speaker there would be a positive spin to put on the situation, letting the youngsters know that they had their chance to shine. However, I can’t imagine that this little talk was going to do the squad a great deal of good, moments before they were to go and out and try to take vital points to get themselves out of the relegation zone; something they failed to do.

So what did he say? Here’s my estimation:

“Hello there, chaps. I’m Rupert Lowe, the guy responsible for the fact you’ll be playing in an empty stadium this evening. As you may have noticed from looking around you this season, all the players with any proven quality have now left the club, basically because we’re skint. You on the other hand, are cheap, so I like you. Bradley, this doesn’t apply to you. The moment any of you get good, I’m going to sell you, so if you like it here then don’t bother yourself too much and if you want shot of this place then this is your opportunity to play for yourself.

“I’m not particularly interested in football, so don’t you worry about that. But if you know what’s good for you then you’ll do as Mr Poortvliet says, as Mr Poortvliet is more than aware of who pays HIS wages. And they’re not much either, by the way. That’s why I hired him.

“You’ve probably worked out by now that he doesn’t really know what he’s doing. Well, that’s because I’m telling him, and as I said, I don’t know much about football. I’m a businessman you see. Anyway, the point I’m getting at is don’t worry about the fact that the club is going down the pan, because if you’re any good we’ll sell you very soon, so let that be your motivation. Now, go out there and have a good game!”

Perhaps I’m wrong, but what else would he have to say?
Jimmy Melia's Barber
Jimmy Melia's Barber
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male
Number of posts : 1049
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

FIRST TIME LOWE HAS MET THE PLAYERS? Empty Re: FIRST TIME LOWE HAS MET THE PLAYERS?

Post  SFC Forever Thu 30 Oct 2008, 11:43 am

"Have you all filled in your benefit forms yet as we just got rid of all the medical staff?"
SFC Forever
SFC Forever
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male
Number of posts : 12257
Job/hobbies : Hoping to see Saints win
Registration date : 2008-09-01

http://www.southampton.vitalfootball.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down