SOUTHAMPTON WORLD and STAR BAR:........
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PETERBOROUGH: Post-match reaction

4 posters

Go down

PETERBOROUGH:  Post-match reaction Empty PETERBOROUGH: Post-match reaction

Post  SaintMike Sat 20 Nov 2010, 4:08 pm

Put it here..........
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male
Number of posts : 15087
Job/hobbies : Trying to control users of Southampton World
Humor : Forgotten what that is
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://www.ohwhenthesaints.net

Back to top Go down

PETERBOROUGH:  Post-match reaction Empty Re: PETERBOROUGH: Post-match reaction

Post  Nostromo Sat 20 Nov 2010, 5:48 pm

Excellent! Four goals from all over the team (striker, defender, midfield and a substitute), and a great performance. It could have been a lot more but their keeper made some great saves and Guly missed an open goal. Now for more of the same against Brighton, please.
Nostromo
Nostromo
A VOICE TO BE LISTENED TO

Male
Number of posts : 774
Humor : Warped
Registration date : 2010-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Sat 20 Nov 2010, 6:54 pm

Didnt think we played that well, really good in patches but rest average. Lambert major concern as another poor game Full match report to follow as have to go out with missus and having had a couple of pints at St Marys already after game pushing my luck to write more now!
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male
Number of posts : 3461
Job/hobbies : Golf
Humor : The Simpsons
Registration date : 2009-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete from Oz Sat 20 Nov 2010, 10:11 pm

Matty that's no excuse ... just joking.
Pete from Oz
Pete from Oz

Male
Number of posts : 716
Humor : Improving
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Sun 21 Nov 2010, 6:50 pm

Hey Pete I need a pass out for Tuesday night as missus birthday so not pushing it any further!

Didn't mean to sound to negative as we looked really good in patches. Indeed we got off to a very lively start and for first 15 minutes pinned Peterborough back. Chamberlain had an early shot then skinned the full back knocking ball past him one side and ran past the other side, then hit great cross with Lallana running in made good contact and think the ball just hit the goalie rather than him saving and just went wide. Barnard then nearly got through but last minute tackle blocked shot, Fonte had a free header and got power behind it but went straight to Goalie. They did look dangerous on the break and Fonte slipped allowing one of their forwards a run on goal but Kelvin pulled off a great stop. As often happens we then seemed to run out of ideas, They slowed the game down taking time on everything and game got scrappy for about 20 minutes before Barnard got the breakthrough. Lambert laid the ball through to Barnard on the right side of the penalty box and although under pressure from a defender blasted the ball early. It looked like it might go over but flew into the top near corner of goal with goalie beaten by sheer pace. Barnard again showing at least he is still a threat as oppose poor Ricky who first half had a free kick which went wide hitting the side netting as only chance. Not a great deal then to half time though we did have a break away right in injury time and Barnard probably should have passed to Lambert who was in a better position but cant blame him for going alone.

Second half was only about a minute old when Hammond got down the left, hit a deep cross and Fonte rose high to head back across goal. Goalie never moved and seemed to go in to the side of the goal. Header didnt look to have a lot of pace on it but was just well placed. Two up and buzzing third goal was not long in coming. Chamberlain released Hammond this time on the right, he hit another inviting cross and Chaplow who has been tussling with a boro player trying to keep up with play was on the end to hit on volley past goalie. Probably good that Chaplow didn't really have time to think about it as when he does he misses but a good finish.

Adkins then took Barnard off, not sure if resting him for Tuesday and brought Guly on up front. Seemed to go off the boil then and invited Boro to come forward conceding possession. Kelvin came for a couple of crosses which had us bit nervous and had to deal with some shots from outside the box which he saved at second attempts. Then some slack marking let McClean in, Kelvin came out, bit late I thought and McClean slotted over Kelvin into side of goal. Bit disappointing that we had given them a lifeline but didnt take to long to get the three goal back. Guly had a chance with a header that was well saved before a free kick from Holmes was glanced in by Guly. Guly then had a chance to make it 5 with great through ball from Holmes but with goal at his mercy dragged wide to right of goal. 5 minutes of extra time didnt bring any drama. earlier Holmes had come on for Chamberlain who was less effective second half and Connolly for last 10 minutes for Lambert.

So still not firing on all cylinders and good going forward though still leave some gaps at the back. Dickson and Richardson had good games at full back and Jaidi has a good game with a couple of headers on goal. Thought Holmes made a good case for himself coming on for last 20 minutes. Delivered some good crosses and fought back defensively when he lost the ball which for me suggests he may be the wide player to start away from home as willing to do the defensive bit. Hammond had a good game, seems to enjoy playing alongside Chaplow and was involved in 2nd and 3rd goal with crosses from right and left.

Only really disappointing part is still Lamberts form. Some said down to fitness but don't believe that he has been training for weeks so no excuses there. Dave Merrington on Solent before the game said give him the supply and he will get goals but today there was plenty of supply but Lambert simply doesn't get himself in the box to take the chances. If Lambert was playing to last seasons form we would be looking at automatic spots with confidence but while he is misfiring we will struggle to win away from home,, at St Marys the whole team are a threat, which will probably mean play offs.

Looking forward to Tuesday night which will be a big challenge as Brighton seem to be the best team not just as at top but they have been playing good football. Plus we need to get revenge for last seasons defeat at St Marys

Davis 7 couple of dodgy moments but great save in 1st half to keep goalless
Richardson 7 Looks like decent right back gets forward well
Fonte 7 scored one could have had another but caught sleeping in 1st half which could have lead to goal.
Jaidi 7 Had a solid game
Dickson 7 didnt do much wrong so Harding could be waiting some time, wasnt even on the bench which I think is harsh
Lallana 7 Bit flash at times, trying to beat players to many times but still a class act.
Hammond 7 couple of misplaced passes but key role in two goals
Chaplow 7 glad he got his goal as deserved it, actually didnt think it was his best game for saints but was official mom
Chamberlain 7 great run in first half but didn't seem to want to go wide in 2nd half, pretty good for a 17 year old though
Barnard 7 usual pain in the backside for defenders and took his goal really well.
Lambert 6 another poor show though did lay on the ball fro Barnard for first goal. Just doesnt look like scoring unless a dead ball situation

Subs
Guly 7 not sure about him but think he had 3 headers on goal and fluffed the 1 on 1 but thats four chances to Lamberts 0
Holmes 7 very busy for his 20 minutes, good crosses and won the ball back if he lost it.
Connolly 6 no time really to make any impression this week.
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete from Oz Mon 22 Nov 2010, 8:46 am

Thanks Matty, a marathon offering that was well worth waiting for. Re the missus' birthday, that was a good move as well.

How's it going over there ? Us Aussies are getting a bit nervous about the Ashes.
Pete from Oz
Pete from Oz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Mon 22 Nov 2010, 7:07 pm

and so you should be getting nervous! That said never like when England are favourites as have a habit of failing to deliver but certainly lead up to Ashes is looking good for England. Think Swann could well be the key so need him to stay fit. Still Englands cricketers are a bit like footballers so get some free beer and few good looking girls in short skirts and guarantee a scandal to affect their play!!

Just to cover myself I got 40 -1 for Aussies to win series 1 nil. Did back England on 2 - 1 and 2- 0 but couldnt resist a 40 to 1 punt
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostromo Mon 22 Nov 2010, 8:42 pm

I'd love England to whitewash the Aussies on Australian soil but I don't think that's likely, so I'll settle for a 3-2 or 4-1 series win.
Nostromo
Nostromo

Male
Number of posts : 774
Humor : Warped
Registration date : 2010-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete from Oz Tue 23 Nov 2010, 8:01 am

As I said I'm not feeling at all confident, so I'd be happy with 1-1 or perhaps 2-2. Still we'll see soon.

I can't wait actually, the Ashes is the only contest left in cricket that still has any meaning as far as I'm concerned.
Pete from Oz
Pete from Oz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintMike Wed 24 Nov 2010, 10:05 am

SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male
Number of posts : 15087
Job/hobbies : Trying to control users of Southampton World
Humor : Forgotten what that is
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://www.ohwhenthesaints.net

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Thu 25 Nov 2010, 8:06 pm

Not a great start by England, battling for a draw after 1 day!
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content