SOUTHAMPTON WORLD and STAR BAR:........
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MILLWALL POST-MATCH REACTION

5 posters

Go down

MILLWALL POST-MATCH REACTION Empty MILLWALL POST-MATCH REACTION

Post  SaintMike Sat 16 Jan 2010, 11:13 am

Put it here.....
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male
Number of posts : 15087
Job/hobbies : Trying to control users of Southampton World
Humor : Forgotten what that is
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://www.ohwhenthesaints.net

Back to top Go down

MILLWALL POST-MATCH REACTION Empty Re: MILLWALL POST-MATCH REACTION

Post  Perennial Underachiever Sat 16 Jan 2010, 5:04 pm

We need a midfield player or two, as what we have ain't good enough. They were anonymous by the sounds of things and only Antonio's introduction livened things up. Consequently the strikers get sod-all service. The new defence did well, until going to sleep in the last few minutes and throwing away a 1-0 lead acquired only seconds before.

And this just goes to show that if we are 1-0 up with mere seconds left you can't rely on the dozy sods to hang onto that lead, no matter who the playing staff are or manager is. We STILL let in stupid late goals. Up until we scored, I would have been happy with a point, but the fact we took the lead and then immediately conceded makes it feel like a defeat. I felt like checking my wallet for missing cards and money as I feel like I have been mugged! Evil or Very Mad
Perennial Underachiever
Perennial Underachiever
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Number of posts : 2374
Job/hobbies : Wildlife, photography, travel
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintMike Sat 16 Jan 2010, 5:45 pm

Hear bloody hear.
Hearing occasional scores on radio I was happy enough at 0-0, but it was horrific to hear it had gone to 1-1 after leading 0-1 so late,
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male
Number of posts : 15087
Job/hobbies : Trying to control users of Southampton World
Humor : Forgotten what that is
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://www.ohwhenthesaints.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Perennial Underachiever Sat 16 Jan 2010, 5:47 pm

What I want to know is how did that THREE minutes of injury time magically become FIVE minutes? The Millwall sickener happened in the fifth minute of injury time.

On a positive note, if I may, we have actually moved up a place, to 13th.
Perennial Underachiever
Perennial Underachiever
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Back to top Go down

Post  detergent Sat 16 Jan 2010, 7:15 pm

Perennial Underachiever wrote:What I want to know is how did that THREE minutes of injury time magically become FIVE minutes? The Millwall sickener happened in the fifth minute of injury time.

On a positive note, if I may, we have actually moved up a place, to 13th.

Time added on on top of injury-time for Lambert's celebration, I suspect
detergent
detergent
SILENT OBSERVER
SILENT OBSERVER

Male
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Perennial Underachiever Sun 17 Jan 2010, 1:06 pm

Stupid, I know, and it's really not a huge disaster in the grand scheme of things (as making the play-offs this year would be a bonus, imo), but I am actually more annoyed about that late Millwall goal today than I was last night. As sickeners go that is right up there with the best (worst) of them, due to the timings of the goals. Other teams, having scored a 90th minute or injury-time goal can reasonably be expected to go on and take all three points (unless they are at Old Trafford and eight minutes plus of Fergie Time is being played). Not Saints. We always let in late goals. There was no excuse for them to go to sleep like that and let Millwall get a jammy equaliser (leaving aside the fact that we didn't really deserve anything from the game). Even with less than a minute to go, you DON'T sit back and think 'job done', it's unprofessional, you play to the final whistle.

That was a poor performance, even allowing for a new defence - in fact the defence, especially Fonte, sounded as if they did quite well, apart from that infuriating late goal. The midfield were at fault and AP really has to address this. What is the point of having a creative midfielder like Morgan Schneiderlin who doesn't actually create anything?

Apparently Lambert was absolutely incensed at the final whistle and I don't blame him. He, rightly, thought he had the points in the bag for Saints only for them to blow it.

I have a suggestion - next time the team score late on, maybe they shouldn't celebrate it or the bloody ref will just add the time on. Evil or Very Mad
Perennial Underachiever
Perennial Underachiever
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Sun 17 Jan 2010, 7:32 pm

Gutted like most but does raise the point that still areas in the side which must be improved. Midfield has been a problem all season and with hammond injured will be a big problem. Millwall appear to have controlled much of the match and that is because our midfield doesnt impose itself. AP keeps saying Schneiderlin is a class player but for me never does give the commitment and if its a toss up between a striker and midfeld player for me in transfer window must be midfield player such as Danns from Palace. To many games where the other teams have dominated because we dont the foot in and win the ball. Defence is now well sorted for all sorts of options and while another striker would be nice midfield is critical to future wins
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male
Number of posts : 3461
Job/hobbies : Golf
Humor : The Simpsons
Registration date : 2009-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Perennial Underachiever Mon 18 Jan 2010, 6:51 pm

I have just seen the goals on South Today. Our team were entirely at fault for the Millwall goal, they stood there like a bunch of statues and just let the Millwall players ponce past them and score. Evil or Very Mad
Perennial Underachiever
Perennial Underachiever
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Back to top Go down

Post  SFC Forever Tue 19 Jan 2010, 11:04 pm

They probably felt guilty winning with such a soft deflected free kick.

We need two midfield players. Hammond has not inspired greatly me from day one and since being made captain he seems to have lost something.
Schneiderlin is a real class act according to AP I wish he would use some of it for us.
Lallana was best as LM and scored most of his goals coming in from the left. He is not a striker though in a pure striker sense.

Otsemobor was a disappointment to me on saturday.
Seaborne struggled but did keep battling away. He showed enough for me to give him another chance. Our defence was left alone to defend again and again as is normal for the team we have. No midfield strength at all and slow and sluggish.

The manager doesn't help with his substitutions either.
SFC Forever
SFC Forever
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male
Number of posts : 12257
Job/hobbies : Hoping to see Saints win
Registration date : 2008-09-01

http://www.southampton.vitalfootball.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content