SOUTHAMPTON WORLD and STAR BAR:........
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DO WE WANT SAINTS IN EUROPE NEXT SEASON??

+2
SaintsChick
SaintMike
6 posters

Go down

SAINTS IN EUROPE?

DO WE WANT SAINTS IN EUROPE NEXT SEASON?? Vote_lcap33%DO WE WANT SAINTS IN EUROPE NEXT SEASON?? Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 5 ]
DO WE WANT SAINTS IN EUROPE NEXT SEASON?? Vote_lcap40%DO WE WANT SAINTS IN EUROPE NEXT SEASON?? Vote_rcap 40% 
[ 6 ]
DO WE WANT SAINTS IN EUROPE NEXT SEASON?? Vote_lcap27%DO WE WANT SAINTS IN EUROPE NEXT SEASON?? Vote_rcap 27% 
[ 4 ]
DO WE WANT SAINTS IN EUROPE NEXT SEASON?? Vote_lcap0%DO WE WANT SAINTS IN EUROPE NEXT SEASON?? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 15

DO WE WANT SAINTS IN EUROPE NEXT SEASON?? Empty DO WE WANT SAINTS IN EUROPE NEXT SEASON??

Post  SaintMike Tue 16 Apr 2013, 8:54 am

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/10356449._/?

Would this be a good thing or a distraction?
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male
Number of posts : 15087
Job/hobbies : Trying to control users of Southampton World
Humor : Forgotten what that is
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://www.ohwhenthesaints.net

Back to top Go down

DO WE WANT SAINTS IN EUROPE NEXT SEASON?? Empty Re: DO WE WANT SAINTS IN EUROPE NEXT SEASON??

Post  SaintMike Tue 16 Apr 2013, 10:05 am

On Facebook Joe Jarvie has sent me a message saying....

As much as I Want to see us.playing teams in Europe and have a bit of a tour, I don't think saints have the squad to commit to playing that and the league without maybe struggling, so 1 more season, bring few new faces in, then.we can think about that.. progressing little bit at a time... COYR's
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male

Back to top Go down

DO WE WANT SAINTS IN EUROPE NEXT SEASON?? Empty Re: DO WE WANT SAINTS IN EUROPE NEXT SEASON??

Post  SaintsChick Tue 16 Apr 2013, 10:13 am

Ive just been reading something about this, here is the link
http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/fb_news.php?storyid=31859
SaintsChick
SaintsChick
A VOICE TO BE LISTENED TO

Female
Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2009-07-30

Back to top Go down

DO WE WANT SAINTS IN EUROPE NEXT SEASON?? Empty Do we want saints in europe?

Post  James Palmer Tue 16 Apr 2013, 2:28 pm

I think overall the answer has got to be yes. Although you could say it would hinder our premier league performances and playing on Sundays isn't ideal especially for supporters who plan to go to games 3pm Saturday. But in my opinion for Southampton to grow as a club and progress, Europe is the next level and we should not shy at the prospect of playing at this level. The question of not enough depth in the squad will also be on people's mind, I believe that while we don't now, after some summer acquisitions I think we will have more than enough to cope with the demands of Europe. Another huge positive to us being in Europe will be the extra first team experience our young players coming through with massive potential will gain from a European campaign. Even looking at the squad now you could say our centre midfield could cope with Europe as Ward-Prowse has been making short cameo appearances from the bench for the majority of the campaign which is not the greatest for his development. You can also argue we could cope in the centre half area as we have a 4 million pound player yet to make an Appearance for us and Fonte on the bench for the past 6 or so games. Then there's a 5 million pound striker who hasn't made an appearance since Christmas. So if a wide man/striker with pace, Right back and left back as cover for Shaw and Clyne are signed I definitely wouldn't mind saints taking on Europe
James Palmer
James Palmer
SILENT OBSERVER
SILENT OBSERVER

Male
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post  half pint Wed 17 Apr 2013, 9:17 am

At least Europe would give us more games to think about. There are a lot less games to watch when in the Prem than in the championship.
half pint
half pint
REGULAR CONTRIBUTOR
REGULAR CONTRIBUTOR

Male
Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2010-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintMike Wed 17 Apr 2013, 9:23 am

James Palmer wrote:I think overall the answer has got to be yes. Although you could say it would hinder our premier league performances and playing on Sundays isn't ideal especially for supporters who plan to go to games 3pm Saturday. But in my opinion for Southampton to grow as a club and progress, Europe is the next level and we should not shy at the prospect of playing at this level. The question of not enough depth in the squad will also be on people's mind, I believe that while we don't now, after some summer acquisitions I think we will have more than enough to cope with the demands of Europe. Another huge positive to us being in Europe will be the extra first team experience our young players coming through with massive potential will gain from a European campaign. Even looking at the squad now you could say our centre midfield could cope with Europe as Ward-Prowse has been making short cameo appearances from the bench for the majority of the campaign which is not the greatest for his development. You can also argue we could cope in the centre half area as we have a 4 million pound player yet to make an Appearance for us and Fonte on the bench for the past 6 or so games. Then there's a 5 million pound striker who hasn't made an appearance since Christmas. So if a wide man/striker with pace, Right back and left back as cover for Shaw and Clyne are signed I definitely wouldn't mind saints taking on Europe

A great first post James, thanks for that!! Welcome to our little forum and please come back regularly..... welcome
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostromo Wed 17 Apr 2013, 10:26 am

I think it might be too early. I would rather Saints consolidated our position in the PL first (I am unsure if it's safe to assume we'll stay up but, for the purposes of the discussion I will assume just that), as there's always the danger of 'second season syndrome'. Our squad doesn't have the depth or quality to compete on two fronts on either level. Strengthen over the summer, have a good pre-season, stay in the PL and then see if we can't qualify next season.

However, I think it's the top three countries who qualify via 'fair play' and England currently lie fourth. I also think there are one or two clubs - Fulham and Liverpool? - ahead of us as well.
Nostromo
Nostromo

Male
Number of posts : 774
Humor : Warped
Registration date : 2010-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Thu 18 Apr 2013, 9:50 pm

IF we did get in, and not sure that Rodgers might get overruled at Liverpool and told to play as expect their sponsors wont be happy at no European exposure, I would use to blood our youngsters especially in the early rounds. We have plenty of squad players who would also benefit from the games so providing we focus on pre season training as first priority then would not object, though staying up is first priority, get that first then lets see what happens.
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male
Number of posts : 3461
Job/hobbies : Golf
Humor : The Simpsons
Registration date : 2009-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintMike Mon 29 Apr 2013, 7:32 am

I imagine we are out of the running for this now.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/10385255._/?
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintMike Fri 03 May 2013, 5:20 pm

SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down