SOUTHAMPTON WORLD and STAR BAR:........
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Claus View...

2 posters

Go down

The Claus View... Empty The Claus View...

Post  SaintMike Mon 13 Oct 2008, 11:52 am

From Echo website:

Claus: Mix has to be right
6:00am Monday 13th October 2008

FORMER Saints skipper Claus Lundekvam has praised some of the football played by Jan Poortvliet's team this season – but believes a lack of experience is to blame for their inconsistent results.

Lundekvam has been watching from the sidelines this season after hanging up his boots due to injury following his swansong testimonial against Celtic in July.

That game atracted a crowd of 18,664 to St Mary’s – over 4,000 more than watched the last Championship game at the stadium against Norwich.

The Norwegian is still one of the club’s biggest supporters and tries to do what he can to mentor and encourage the club’ young players. He has been delighted with some of the nice football the team has played. But the man who spent 12 years at Saints as a player fears that the lack of a few experienced heads alongside the talented youngsters may well restrict what they can achieve. He said: “It has been the same story of the last few seasons and that is inconsistency really. “We play some great stuff and create some pretty good chances most games. “But on the other side we’ve been a little naive in a way which you get with a young side thrown in at the deep end. “Without that experience it can be difficult to win games in this league more than any other. “I’ve been to a couple of home games and watched all the Sky games. “When I was at St Mary's for the win against Norwich in the second half there was some excellent football played, but then they went to Coventry and got a hammering really. “That’s inconsistency and we just need to look at what we’ve got and how we’re playing. “We’ve got some talented players but experience for me is key in this division.

You need players who have been there and done it before as well as the young players to get the mix right.” Lundekvam and his family have remained in Southampton since his retirement and it seems the fans’ favourite has adjusted to life after football – even enjoying venturing back to St Mary’s to watch games. “It’s been alright. Last season prepared me mentally a little bit because I watched a lot of games when I was injured,” he said. “When I go down to the dressing room and see the players I do wish I could be there with them. “I’d love to be able to help, but on the other side I’m very happy to sit on the sidelines and watch. “I’ve got over the stage where I’m feeling sorry for myself and I know this is it. I’ve done my duties and had to leave it, but I’ve got no regrets. “It is still good to go back and speak to the players because the club still has a special place in my heart.”

Your Say YourEchoUTS, says...
8:38am Mon 13 Oct 08
100% spot on Claus with your comments regarding team balance and experience.

Director of football 'Lowe' take note.

oops all a bit late now eh Rupert 100% spot on Claus with your comments regarding team balance and experience. Director of football 'Lowe' take note. oops all a bit late now eh Rupert
Report this post ยป
jezza, Stanstead Abbotts says...
9:11am Mon 13 Oct 08
Fair play to Claus. I respect his opinions, and his commitment to the club is unquestioned, but....

....I also think it could be argued that it was the senior, experienced players who took us out of the Premiership and then failed to get us back up in the three years since.

The current crop may be raw and untried, but they are certainly good enough to be a viable alternative to what we have had in the last few years.

We all want the club to do well, but I'm not sure that ex-players being critical is the way forward. Fair play to Claus. I respect his opinions, and his commitment to the club is unquestioned, but.... ....I also think it could be argued that it was the senior, experienced players who took us out of the Premiership and then failed to get us back up in the three years since. The current crop may be raw and untried, but they are certainly good enough to be a viable alternative to what we have had in the last few years. We all want the club to do well, but I'm not sure that ex-players being critical is the way forward.

PAUL C, SOUTHAMPTON says...
11:27am Mon 13 Oct 08
the way ahead is already underway for all to see young talent with a desire to play football, which will put us back in the top flight within the next couple of seasons,be patient and get behind our team staying at home on a saturday does not help at all UP THE SAINTS
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male
Number of posts : 15087
Job/hobbies : Trying to control users of Southampton World
Humor : Forgotten what that is
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://www.ohwhenthesaints.net

Back to top Go down

The Claus View... Empty Re: The Claus View...

Post  SFC Forever Mon 13 Oct 2008, 9:03 pm

There is a hell of a lot of good stuff written there. It all seems to come down though to the lack of support being given to the cause by the missing thousands. The lost money in the end will cost us dear if the trend continues.
SFC Forever
SFC Forever
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male
Number of posts : 12257
Job/hobbies : Hoping to see Saints win
Registration date : 2008-09-01

http://www.southampton.vitalfootball.co.uk

Back to top Go down