SOUTHAMPTON WORLD and STAR BAR:........
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WHICH HIT YOU WORST?

5 posters

Go down

WHICH HIT YOU WORST?

WHICH HIT YOU WORST? Vote_lcap42%WHICH HIT YOU WORST? Vote_rcap 42% 
[ 24 ]
WHICH HIT YOU WORST? Vote_lcap46%WHICH HIT YOU WORST? Vote_rcap 46% 
[ 26 ]
WHICH HIT YOU WORST? Vote_lcap12%WHICH HIT YOU WORST? Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 7 ]

Total Votes : 57

WHICH HIT YOU WORST? Empty WHICH HIT YOU WORST?

Post  Nostromo Sun 22 May 2011, 10:49 pm

Listening to Radio 5 Live's coverage of the final-day Premier League relegation scrap made me think of our two relegations in recent seasons. Over on Saints Web a thread was posted asking people which one was the most painful and I thought it's a question probably worth asking on here.
So, which was the more painful? 2005 or 2009? Or even, if you remember it, the relegation under McMenemy back in 1974?

For me, it was 2005, purely for the fact that it was all so unnecessary: the late capitulations when we should have taken all three points, the walking out of Strachan and the appointment of Sturrock only for Sturrock to be fired, the appointment of Steve Wigley and him being kept on in the job when he was plainly not up to it, getting stuffed 5-2 by Watford in a cup game, the sheer uselessness of Harry Redkrapp and his seeming disinterest in keeping us up (probably not helped by little backing from Lowe), the rabbits-in-headlights impression by the players at Fratton Park - for me, as I guess for most Saints fans, apart from the relegation itself, the Skate shambles was the absolute low(e) point of that season - the thumbs up of Redkrapp to then skate owner Mandaric (wtf what that about? I'd be interested in 'Arry's explanation of that one)...it was a hugely disappointing season ending in disaster.

2009 didn't seem quite as bad as I think the writing was on the wall before a ball had even been kicked. Boardroom trouble, the removal then return of Lowe, fighting between fans and the demonstrations were downright unpleasant but, as the team had lost its best players and had to resort to kids who were way out of their depth and with two clueless Dutch clowns to manage them, the outcome was inevitable, especially when the club went into administration. At least in 2005 we had a chance of getting out of trouble on the final day, but in 2009 we were looking really bad for a long time and, strange as that may sound, it seemed to soften the blow. At least for me, you may disagree.
It didn't seem like it at the time but it - and admin - was a blessing in disguise of sorts as at least it enabled the club to start again, with new owners and a brighter future.
Nostromo
Nostromo
A VOICE TO BE LISTENED TO

Male
Number of posts : 774
Humor : Warped
Registration date : 2010-10-03

Back to top Go down

WHICH HIT YOU WORST? Empty Re: WHICH HIT YOU WORST?

Post  DellBoy Mon 23 May 2011, 10:05 am

All 3 were awful, I think I was too drunk each of those times to give a balanced decision!!
DellBoy
DellBoy

Male
Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2009-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostromo Mon 23 May 2011, 1:26 pm

Thanks to whoever put the poll up. I didn't include 1974 in my original post as it was before my (Saints supporting) time, so I didn't think of it.
Nostromo
Nostromo

Male
Number of posts : 774
Humor : Warped
Registration date : 2010-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Mon 23 May 2011, 7:09 pm

Think 2005 for me, have always hated redknap for coming to us, he should never have come and think the most overrated manager around. In 2009 there were some positives, knew there had to be a better future and that Lowe would be gone for once and all.
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male
Number of posts : 3461
Job/hobbies : Golf
Humor : The Simpsons
Registration date : 2009-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Jillyanne Tue 24 May 2011, 5:29 pm

This is soooo hard! not sure
Jillyanne
Jillyanne

Female
Number of posts : 690
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Saturday-Fever Fri 27 May 2011, 12:07 am

Easy for me this time.
Saturday-Fever
Saturday-Fever
SILENT OBSERVER
SILENT OBSERVER

Male
Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down