SOUTHAMPTON WORLD and STAR BAR:........
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IT'S NIGEL ADKINS WEEK: 8th to 14th May

5 posters

Go down

IT'S NIGEL ADKINS WEEK:   8th to 14th May Empty IT'S NIGEL ADKINS WEEK: 8th to 14th May

Post  SaintMike Sun 08 May 2011, 1:45 am

IT'S NIGEL ADKINS WEEK:   8th to 14th May Nigel-Adkins-Saints_2559940

Nigel Howard Adkins was born 11 March 1965 in Birkenhead.

Playing career
As a player, Adkins was goalkeeper for Tranmere Rovers, Wigan Athletic and Bangor City.[1] He graduated from the University of Salford in Physiotherapy.

Managerial career
Adkins was in charge of Bangor City in the League of Wales, where he was at the helm for the Citizens' title wins in 1994 and 1995.

Scunthorpe
Adkins was appointed caretaker manager by Scunthorpe chairman Steve Wharton in November 2006, following the departure of the previous manager, Brian Laws. Adkins had previously held the role of physio at the club. After his spell as caretaker he was appointed as permanent manager on 7 December 2006.

As Adkins had been promoted to the manager's seat from the role of club physiotherapist, Scunthorpe supporters chanted "Who needs Mourinho, we've got our physio!" on the terraces of Glanford Park in his honour.

Adkins guided Scunthorpe to promotion from League One to the Championship with three matches to spare on 14 April 2007, and they went on to seal the divisional title to end an absence of more than 40 years from the league's second tier. The Sun newspaper named Adkins the "emergency boss of the year" in an article that looked at the match winning average of replacement bosses in the 2006–07 season following the departure of the previous manager.

Scunthorpe were relegated from the Championship the following season, but returned via the League One playoffs in May 2009, playing at Wembley in consecutive months, having played Luton in the final of the Football League Trophy on 5 April.

They struggled once again in the higher division, but this time avoided relegation by finishing 20th and being five points clear of Sheffield Wednesday – the last relegated club.

Southampton
Adkins joined Southampton on 12 September 2010 after the Saints and Scunthorpe United agreed a compensation package. Adkins has signed a three year contract, and is joined there by his former assistant at Scunthorpe, Andy Crosby. Nigel gained his first victory in charge in his third game winning 1–0 at Sheffield Wednesday, with Lee Barnard scoring the only goal. The good start to his tenure continued and he guided Southampton into the play-off part of the table for the first time in League One on 2 November 2010 after a 4–0 win over Dagenham & Redbridge.

After this result, the club joined the League One promotion rush, which was expected of them at the start of the campaign, and before the slow start. On the clubs 125th anniversary match, Adkins saw his side beat Peterborough 4–1. This was the sixth home win in a row, the best home form for the football club since 1992. Adkins guided his team into the top two for the first time since being relegated, after a 4–0 win over Exeter City on New Year's Day 2011 and managed a victory against Premier League opposition in Blackpool just one week later, taking his side into the 4th round of the FA Cup. Just three days later it got even better for Nigel as he led his side to a 6-0 win away to Oldham Athletic and in the process recorded their fifth straight victory. During Adkins' first transfer window at the club, he secured the contract of highly rated winger Adam Lallana for a new 4 and a half year contract. He signed winger Dany N'Guessan on loan from Leicester City, and signed Jonathan Forte on a 3 and a half year contract from Adkins' former club Scunthorpe United. Under the guidance of Adkins,

The Saints achieved a club record of clean sheets in one season. Beating the previous record of 19 set by Peter Shilton in the early 80s. Adkins guided his side to promotion into the The Championship after a 3-1 win away to Plymouth Argyle on May 2 2011, earning his 3rd Football League One promotion in his managerial career. He also got acknowledged by the footballing authorities as he won the League One Manager of the Month for April 2011 after winning seven of the eight games that month and putting Southampton on the brink of promotion.

Honours As a manager
Bangor City
League of Wales: 1993–94, 1994–95
Scunthorpe United
League One champions: 2006–07
League One Play-off winners 2008–09
Football League Trophy Runners-Up 2009
Southampton
League One Runners-Up: 2010–11
IndividualLeague One Manager of the Month February 2007 Scunthorpe United
League One Manager of the Month April 2011 Southampton
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male
Number of posts : 15087
Job/hobbies : Trying to control users of Southampton World
Humor : Forgotten what that is
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://www.ohwhenthesaints.net

Back to top Go down

IT'S NIGEL ADKINS WEEK:   8th to 14th May Empty Re: IT'S NIGEL ADKINS WEEK: 8th to 14th May

Post  matty07uk Sun 08 May 2011, 10:35 am

While in my opinion sometimes tries to be to clever, the dreaded diamond formation, he has really engendered a team spirit in the camp with the players, something missing with Pardew. He now has a decent squad with a few additions could challnge towards the top of championship and will be a real tets now for him can he personally take the next step.

I hope so as he is one of the most genuine, nice guys. A mate at Plymouth who has a friend who worked behind the scenes at a couple of clubs said that Adkins would always talk to anyone at the ground including all the ball boys. No arrogance or airs and graces
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male
Number of posts : 3461
Job/hobbies : Golf
Humor : The Simpsons
Registration date : 2009-07-11

Back to top Go down

IT'S NIGEL ADKINS WEEK:   8th to 14th May Empty Re: IT'S NIGEL ADKINS WEEK: 8th to 14th May

Post  Nostromo Sun 08 May 2011, 12:52 pm

I was initially sceptical when Nigel Adkins was appointed, distinctly underwhelmed as I think I wrote at the time. I was wrong and I'm glad to be so. He seems a nice guy and I hope he can take us to more successes. Very Happy
Nostromo
Nostromo
A VOICE TO BE LISTENED TO

Male
Number of posts : 774
Humor : Warped
Registration date : 2010-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete from Oz Mon 09 May 2011, 9:14 am

Nice words Matty and Nostromo. It's been a good few weeks.
Pete from Oz
Pete from Oz

Male
Number of posts : 716
Humor : Improving
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Mon 09 May 2011, 9:09 pm

Glad to hear from you Pete, yes has been a good few weeks. Might get withdrawal symptons as have had a couple of away games, Orient and Brentford with the home games. Mind you a few weeks off the beer on a saturday might not be a bad thing!
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete from Oz Tue 10 May 2011, 5:52 am

Matte,

Yeah, I know what you mean about the beer. I had a couple on Saturday, the first for a while mind you, and at my age that was enough. Anyhow mate enjoy the warmer weather when it arrives. No more stress (well Saints-related anyway) for a few months.

Pete from Oz
Pete from Oz

Male
Number of posts : 716
Humor : Improving
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post  sibster Tue 10 May 2011, 6:59 pm

I have had the pleasure to meet Nigel when he gave a talk to my referee's association at Saint Marys a couple of months ago and I can honestly say that he is as genuine a guy as you could ever hope to meet. When the rumours first came out that he may be coming to us I was overjoyed as he had previously worked miracles at Scunthorpe on a much reduced budget and seemed to have all the attributes to become a really successful manager. This has proved to be correct and hopefully he will be able to work his magic in the championship and we can be celebrating again come April 2012. This will at least mean that I will be able to enjoy the celebrations in person as I had to work for the Walsall match and had to rely on videos and photos!!
sibster
sibster
PARKS REFEREE

Male
Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintMike Wed 11 May 2011, 12:14 am

You're a ref Sibster? At which level are you refereeing??
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  sibster Wed 11 May 2011, 7:09 pm

Currently I am at level 6 Mike which sees me in the middle for local parks football and on the line for the Wessex League. I was hoping to get promotion to level 5 last season but a long term injury put paid to that-I was out for almost three months with an adductor strain-as I needed to referee a minimum of 20 games plus three assessments to fulfill the criteria. I am currently in the process of working out a plan for next season with my county FA to manage promotion next season but this will again be difficult as I have a new job that involves working most Saturdays. Fingers crossed though!
sibster
sibster
PARKS REFEREE

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintMike Wed 11 May 2011, 11:37 pm

Interesting, thanks for that Sibster. Best of luck to you.
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Thu 12 May 2011, 7:43 pm

Best of luck sibster for a thankless task, will try and remember to be kinder to refs in my match day reports, but wouldnt bank on it!
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  sibster Thu 12 May 2011, 7:48 pm

Cheers Mike and Matty-you don't have to be too nice to referees though. Like I say we are well used to getting abused and quickly develop a thick skin!!
sibster
sibster
PARKS REFEREE

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostromo Sat 14 May 2011, 10:51 am

Nigel has been given a new four-and-a-half year deal, which will keep him at the club until 2015.
Nostromo
Nostromo

Male
Number of posts : 774
Humor : Warped
Registration date : 2010-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Sat 14 May 2011, 1:51 pm

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

deal seemingly done in January.

Last edited by matty07uk on Sat 14 May 2011, 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add in soem comments)
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down