SOUTHAMPTON WORLD and STAR BAR:........
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SOME THOUGHTS ON PARDEW

+3
Saint_Sista
matty07uk
SaintMike
7 posters

Go down

SOME THOUGHTS ON PARDEW Empty SOME THOUGHTS ON PARDEW

Post  SaintMike Sat 13 Mar 2010, 10:25 am

Found this on another website following the Tranmere match....

The two five goal tallies at St Mary's glossed over how bad Saints were at Wycombe and once again Saints went to a club fighting relegation and underperformed.

It all started badly with a goal conceded after only 3 minutes, but when that deficit was quickly retrieved with Lee Barnard once again showing his predators instinct, you hoped that Saints might be able to go on and put the Merseysiders to the sword, but it wasnt to be the case.

Over recent weeks there has been this air of "Excuse" around SMS, people are far too easily prepared to gloss over Saints failings in the past three months and there is this attitude amongst the fans, that next season we will walk this division, ask Leeds fans about that !

So why did Saints once again fail on the road against a lowly side ? the truth of the matter is its about leadership and tactical awareness, when Saints can dominate like they did in the last two home games its a pleasure to watch, but on the road when a side gets behind the ball and digs in we are stumped and its this run of away fixtures that has cost us dearly, since beating Tranmere at home in December and finding ourselves seven points off the play offs we have consistently failed to win on the road.

Eight games have been played and in those games we have only won once, ironically at the league leaders Norwich, four draws aded to that means that out of that run of games we have only got seven points and that is nowhere near acceptable.

As the game approached the final 15 minutes, with Saints not exactly looking like scoring and a draw not being any more use than a loss, you wondered why Alan Pardew didnt try something different, take a defender off and go three up front, for instance, but his eventual decision, replacing Lallana and Barnard with Waigo and Antonio in a like for like change, was a case of too little too late and Tranmere coped easily with the fact that nothing really changed.

You just have the feeling that Alan Pardew's heart just isnt in it as it was earlier in the season, he is almost going through the motions, and that seems to be filtering through to the performances on the pitch, in this eight game appalling away run, we have played three of the bottom six and our tally of points from a possible nine is two !

If you look at all the possible reasons for losing on Saturday it comes down to one worrying fact, it cant be the players we have the biggest and best squad and we had everyone bar Lloyd James available on at Prenton Park, that being the case its not injury problems either. Nor could the pitch be blamed on this occasion, whilst it wasnt the best it was reasonable, it wasnt missed chances or poor refereeing, whilst yes the ref was appalling and the spot kick that won it for Tranmere was dodgy, that cant be used as an excuse, truthfully, with respect to Tranmere, we should have put them out of sight, long before this.

So it comes down to one factor and that is the manager, now Im not using this to advocate sacking Alan Pardew, far from it I feel he has done a reasonable job so far, that is reasonable, not good or brilliant, I also feel that he can take Saints forward, but for some reason he is not doing it at present.

Team selections are sometimes strange and predictable, although sometimes players seem to be in favour one minute and then back to obscurity, substitutions are again somewhat baffling sometimes and in games like Saturday he often appears to be happy with a point, rather than going for the jugular, and if the manager isnt prepared to think outside the square, then that filters down to the players.

In the last ten minutes on Saturday we didnt appear to be concerned that we were about to drop two points effectively ending our promotion hopes once and for all, we didnt go hell for leather and at least lose the game trying to win all three, we were content to let the game peter out to a draw and we paid the price, not that it really mattered, a draw was no worse than a defeat to be honest in our situation.

Clearly if Alan Pardew is to be the man to lead Saints next season then he has to be happy at the club and he is clearly not, whatever the reason for that there are only two ways forward, either Pardew sorts out the problems he has behind the scenes or he leaves.

Now despite my critiscisms in this article, I do believe that Alan Pardew, I do feel he is the man to take Saints forward and I know that the supporters are behind him 100%, the irony of this is that direct comparisons can be made with the problems at the club six years ago when the departure of Gordon Strachan saw a flurry of managers come and go. Back then the supporters were quick to blame the Chairman for meddling with the playing side of things and for not letting the manager manage, back then nobody knew the true state of affairs and the same can be said today, however unless something is sorted at SMS quickly, I feel that history could start repeating itself.
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male
Number of posts : 15087
Job/hobbies : Trying to control users of Southampton World
Humor : Forgotten what that is
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://www.ohwhenthesaints.net

Back to top Go down

SOME THOUGHTS ON PARDEW Empty Re: SOME THOUGHTS ON PARDEW

Post  matty07uk Sat 13 Mar 2010, 9:37 pm

I think more people are making something out of AP and NC comments from weeks back. Personally I think AP is not brilliant at tactics and changing the games when not going well. That said he has basically started from scratch, we were not great last year and then lost, Rasiak, Euell, Stern John, Surman, and effectively Saganoski before season started. he had to bring in players and most have been excellent signings. I am sure he believes still 2 or 3 short, notably midfield where we have plenty of players not that good, Thomson, Gobern, Gillet, Pulis.

I think he has also got some of the basics in place with scouts and assistant which had all gone from before. It wasn't just the 10 points that hurt us it was the loss of players, the inability to bring in new players early enough to gell as a team. Is he the perfect manager, no but then who is. We need stability and in view of the circumstances at beginning of season I think he has done a good job to date.
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male
Number of posts : 3461
Job/hobbies : Golf
Humor : The Simpsons
Registration date : 2009-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Saint_Sista Sun 14 Mar 2010, 4:11 am

SaintMike wrote:
Team selections are sometimes strange and predictable, although sometimes players seem to be in favour one minute and then back to obscurity, substitutions are again somewhat baffling sometimes...

I realise that these are not your words, SaintMike, but are there examples you can quote?

Personally I was dismayed by AP's miserable interview a couple of weeks back, I thought it was really sad that he couldn't (wouldn't?) put on a more positive face; but similarly I was dismayed by Cortese publicly undermining Pardew with the BBC interview (and his grudge-holding against the Echo). Whatever anyone says, I don't get the impression there is mutual confidence there.

I haven't yet had the chance to catch up on the origin of Cortese's "new stadium" remarks, but they don't fill me with confidence - what is he thinking? Rolling Eyes

That's just some random thoughts from someone who's not often wide awake and on the ball Sleep

Sista

Last edited by Saint_Sista on Sun 14 Mar 2010, 4:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Another thought!!!)
Saint_Sista
Saint_Sista
OCCASIONAL WORDS OF WISDOM

Female
Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Sun 14 Mar 2010, 9:16 pm

[
I haven't yet had the chance to catch up on the origin of Cortese's "new stadium" remarks, but they don't fill me with confidence - what is he thinking? Rolling Eyes

Having heard Cortese after the game think he was really thinking longer term and if they are to be a premiership side would need a stadium with a bigger capacity to make financially viable. Didnt rule out expanding St Marys but was interested in other developments in the area and transport. Clearly a lot of work going on behind the scenes to use St Marys more for income. More about all options were on the table but he also said this was longer term not for the immediate future. In terms of business savvy he came across very shrewd, on footballing side he still has much to learn but he did say he recognises that the successful teams are ones with stability.

I suspect a few more "disagreements" between AP and NC as both know what they want. Might not be a love in all the time but I think can be a successful team.

By the way he also said the Director of Football was still an idea he wants to pursue but seemed pretty clear in the context of running a premiership side, so again one for the future, hopefully not distant future! Smile
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  village idiot Mon 15 Mar 2010, 11:49 am

I think Cortese will be on Pardews case until we get to the championship.I heard his interview on Solent and he knows exactly what he wants.I think Pardew will keep his job this season but if it looks like we are off the pace for promotion next season he will be fired early,I think most fans would agree with Cortese that promotion is a must next year.Pardew has done a good job this season in my view,his signings have been good,a trip to Wembley, and a decent enough league campaign.I hope Pardew lasts the course as I do rate him and I think he will deliver, but Cortese is an ambitious chairman and I don't think thats a bad thing, it keeps everyone on their toes.I do agree with Cortese that the points gap between ourselves and Norwich & Leeds is to much,and putting a wee bit of pressure on is sometimes a good thing,as long as it does not become habitual.
village idiot
village idiot

Male
Number of posts : 74
Job/hobbies : saints,nature, esp.birds of prey
Humor : milligan,phython etc
Registration date : 2009-07-22

Back to top Go down

Post  SFC Forever Mon 15 Mar 2010, 2:37 pm

From what I have seen this season I have my ideas about AP.

He is more than capable of building us a good team.

He does seem to struggle when he needs to make changes to get the team running better.

He has by his selections, at times, shown a worrying tendency to be negative. This shows lack of faith in the team/squad?
SFC Forever
SFC Forever
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male
Number of posts : 12257
Job/hobbies : Hoping to see Saints win
Registration date : 2008-09-01

http://www.southampton.vitalfootball.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  SFC Forever Fri 19 Mar 2010, 7:32 pm

I firmly believe that Pardew is on borrowed time. If this is the case then I think the least Cortese can do is change things once we have gone to Wembley.
Pardew seems capable of building a relatively useful team but incapable of changing things when they don't work.
SFC Forever
SFC Forever
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Sat 20 Mar 2010, 11:06 am

I think the problem is he doesn't have much faith in other than his first 11 and that shows. Against leeds last week although we played well midfield was knackered with 15 mins to go especially Puncheon but clearly no one on the bench Pardew fancied to bring on. That's a worry to me and I think those not in the first 11 seem to think they wont get to play so why bother. Think he has to ship out quite a few in summer and bring in players he rates, preferably some muscle in midfield where all season we struggle against teams who fight and scrap for every ball.
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  SFC Forever Sun 21 Mar 2010, 11:11 am

+1

Head on the nail there Matty.

However I am leaning slightly towards us getting another man in sooner rather than later.

I have been screaming from the roof tops how badly we need more muscle to counter the more abrasive teams. Alan has brought in a teams worth of players and most have done well. He has not though brought in anybody who can drag us through a battlefield and onto a place where we can play.
SFC Forever
SFC Forever
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male

Back to top Go down

SOME THOUGHTS ON PARDEW Empty AP'S JOB ON THE LINE?

Post  half pint Wed 05 May 2010, 10:06 am

On Echo website yesterday.

SAINTS this morning declined to comment on a national newspaper report claiming Alan Pardew is fighting to hold onto his job.

Pardew has won widespread praise from fans and former Saints players in recent months for injecting some feelgood factor back into the club.

He led the club to their first major piece of silverware since 1976 – the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy – and but for a 10-point deduction would be going into the last game of the 2009/10 League One campaign in a play-off place.

But the report suggests chairman Nicola Cortese is unhappy with Pardew failing to land a top six finish after he was handed £3m to spend on new players.

A Saints spokesman said: "We won’t be commenting."

Pardew has recently been linked with Celtic and West Ham, but said: "I have a three year contract here and the owners of this club said I would be judged in 18 months.

"What I think they meant by that was ‘get us out of this division in 18 months’.

"I think that’s what they meant and that’s what I intend to do."

And today.

LAWRIE McMenemy fears Alan Pardew could end up leaving Saints if chairman Nicola Cortese does not get “right behind” his manager.

The Saints legend believes Pardew’s achievements this season will mean “he will be in demand” from other clubs seeking a new boss.

McMenemy has urged the entire club to make Pardew aware they do not want to lose him.

His comments come in the wake of a national report suggesting Pardew’s job was at risk because Cortese was unhappy at failing to make the League One play-offs.

“I just think he (Pardew) needs to be assured by everybody that they are right behind him,” said McMenemy.

“The supporters have already done that.”
half pint
half pint
REGULAR CONTRIBUTOR
REGULAR CONTRIBUTOR

Male
Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2010-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Wed 05 May 2010, 8:25 pm

Hard to say if anything in the story Daily Echo just repeating some gossip from a national tabloid. Shame though that club didnt simply say they are happy with the progress made so far rather than just "No comment".

Bottom line is the fans know that stability is the key to success and NC may be a successful banker but he needs to recognise that sometimes in football you don't always get what you deserve. Stick with AP and I am confident we will go up next year.
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  village idiot Thu 06 May 2010, 2:19 pm

I agree that we must keep Pardew.I think it will be majorly disruptive to change manager yet again.Cortese has been fantastic for us,getting Marcus to buy us and making sure funding is available for the team and training ground.I hope he just remains focused on the five year plan he started with and applies a little bit of patience to his undoubted drive.Pardew has in my opinion,done more than enough to be given a chance to get this team up,we would just start the merry go round again by losing him.I feel if the two of them work together, great things can be achieved for this club, but it needs egos to be put aside,and whatever the conversations were in the January transfer window between them to be forgotten.Cortese was right to question Pardew on the performances of the team after the funding,but it should not have been done in print.Pardew has though nearly delivered what he allegedly promised,and I think performances lately have been superb with every player playing for the shirt,lets just hope both parties see sense for the sake of unity at the club.
village idiot
village idiot

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  SFC Forever Thu 06 May 2010, 6:53 pm

I do sometimes think that the media comes out with this rubbish to see what they can start.
SFC Forever
SFC Forever
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  teamsaint Thu 06 May 2010, 6:54 pm

SFC Forever wrote:I do sometimes think that the media comes out with this rubbish to see what they can start.

Agree with you SFC. I take nothing for news unless reported by the OS or BBC
teamsaint
teamsaint
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male
Number of posts : 1498
Registration date : 2008-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Saint_Sista Sun 09 May 2010, 9:55 am

Don't quite know where to post this rumour-mongering - hope I don't get a slap Evil or Very Mad

What's all this about Markus not attending the final match of the season because he was unhappy about performance (equals, we didn't make the play-offs), and the BBC radio commentator reporting that there is to be a "meeting" at SMS on Wednesday next?

Then there's the shock-horror because the match programme was pulled at the last minute - but someone who got one has stated that there's nothing contentious in it Shocked

Sista
Saint_Sista
Saint_Sista

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Sun 09 May 2010, 11:17 am

Afraid Radio Solent like the Echo do like to make stories run and heard Adam Blackmore say he had the information re Markus from a "reliable source" at the club. Unless Markus or Nicola then not sure how reliable. So reliable he had no knowledge of no programmes at the game despite the commentary team getting single sheet of A4 for Team sheets and no programme.

The club dont help though as nothing on the website so that would suggest something amiss and on several sites there is talk of comments from AP have upset NC, but who knows. Would be nice is someone who has one of the few that were sold, from the club shop I understand, can quote APs comments.

Mtg on Wed would I suspect have been planned as end of season and targets to be sorted out, Season ticket prices etc but no doubt could address AP's future is the two are still arguing.

Guess just have to wait and see what happens, sincerely hope nothing happens, we need stability more than anything at the club and must start letting managers get on with the job of getting the results on the pitch and AP has done that this season. Trouble is NC is use to being a senior executive who probably doesnt take criticism from employees very well.
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  SFC Forever Thu 13 May 2010, 9:18 am

Markus not being a the game had nothing to do with all Europes planes being grounded again then.
SFC Forever
SFC Forever
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintMike Thu 13 May 2010, 4:23 pm

Cortese has issued a statement on the OS this morning.

Everything was just evil rumours and Pardew stays. Much said in criticism of the Echo and former Saints who said things against the present regime.
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male
Number of posts : 15087
Job/hobbies : Trying to control users of Southampton World
Humor : Forgotten what that is
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://www.ohwhenthesaints.net

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Thu 13 May 2010, 7:10 pm

Glad it has now been cleared up. Could have been done earlier but we all have to accept that NC is the CE and will do his things his way including making announcements so lets just get on with it. Can now plan properly for the push next season for the top spot.
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  SFC Forever Thu 13 May 2010, 10:24 pm

Must admit I felt relieved when I read his statement. It was clear and gave a lot of detail as to what he wants as well in the near future.
SFC Forever
SFC Forever
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Saint_Sista Fri 14 May 2010, 8:22 am

I think that Cortese could express himself in a more conciliatory manner, which would be beneficial for all aspects of the Club. His criticism of MLT's Pinnacle involvement deserves special mention, IMO.

Sista Evil or Very Mad
Saint_Sista
Saint_Sista

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  village idiot Fri 14 May 2010, 8:44 am

As much as I love Matt Le Tiss.,Cortese is right, Matt did not help himself or us by getting taken in by the Pinnacle group.I think the Echo are now just trying to stir things up by using Matt again as a stick to beat Nicola with.It appears that Matt,Lawrie & Frannie have the right to say what they like about our club and its owners,but if the owners respond with criticism of their own the fans & critics consider that unacceptable.People should not judge others if they themselves do not want to be judged.I for one am delighted that we have a united club and firmly believe we will make massive progress this year.
village idiot
village idiot

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content