SOUTHAMPTON WORLD and STAR BAR:........
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AFTER-MATCH ANALYSIS: BRENTFORD

+5
The Liebherr Bird
village idiot
matty07uk
SFC Forever
SaintMike
9 posters

Go down

AFTER-MATCH ANALYSIS:  BRENTFORD Empty AFTER-MATCH ANALYSIS: BRENTFORD

Post  SaintMike Fri 21 Aug 2009, 11:38 pm

At the end of each month I intend to hold a poll to vote on members' posts commenting on Saints' League and Cup matches. Please get in the habit of giving us a detailed post after each match saying what you thought of the performance, who played best, who didn't, who should have been playing, what you would have done if you were manager etc., etc.
It doesn't matter if you weren't there.....you can still say what you think.

If you are impressed by a particular member's post please let me know so that I will be sure to include the post in the poll.

Your analysis of Saints-Brentford should go on this thread please. There is a separate thread in the Amusement Section's Competition League where the table showing the points gained for the analysis will be shown.
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male
Number of posts : 15087
Job/hobbies : Trying to control users of Southampton World
Humor : Forgotten what that is
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://www.ohwhenthesaints.net

Back to top Go down

AFTER-MATCH ANALYSIS:  BRENTFORD Empty Re: AFTER-MATCH ANALYSIS: BRENTFORD

Post  SFC Forever Sat 22 Aug 2009, 8:55 pm

I am not sure what to make of todays performance. AP seems to like playing without width, though that could just be his belief that we are not good enough in the wingers available situation. Mills isn't quick but he was building a good partnership with Harding. Our weakness at the moment is the right side of the pitch.Trotman played well and apart from a couple of blunders could well be an imprtant player for us. Hammond showed enough to make us believe he will do well for us especially at this level. He also looks good enough to make it at a higher level.
So with us in need for time we have just to wait for the new arrivals to gel and then todays promise could be fulfilled. The most disappointing aspect of the game was the way we folded after taking the initiative. We had started to play well and actually had a couple of moves using the wings. Harding was involved in the move which led to his goal and for a moment we believed we were going to get our first win. All of a sudden though the players seemingly began to panic as they realised that they were in front. Mistakes started appearing and our shape disappeared.
AP will hopefully be able to use the Birmingham game to get the team used to playing together and is a match with little at stake other than pride. He will hopefully have Murty and Mills back and with them we could hopefully look more ready for the battle ahead.
The team is slowly taking shape and Tuesday could see something akin to this:- Davis,Murty,Trotman,Perry,Harding,Mellis,Schneiderlin,Hammond,Mills,Lambert,Saga
Subs:- Bart,Gobern,Thomas,Rasiak,Holmes/Thomson,Lallana,James

It was interesting to see Perry picked in front of Thomas and he did make a few good tackles. Still not tall enough though and we must get another strong CB. I feel another 3 players could make us a damn good side. So though disappointed by the finish I left the ground feeling a darn site better than when leaving Swindon's on Tuesday. We have made the first step.
SFC Forever
SFC Forever
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male
Number of posts : 12257
Job/hobbies : Hoping to see Saints win
Registration date : 2008-09-01

http://www.southampton.vitalfootball.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Sat 22 Aug 2009, 10:43 pm

Well lets start with the positives. Most of APs signings did well, Trotman looked pretty solid at CB and Hammond got through a lot of work and Harding had a good game. Lambert didnt do a great deal but plenty of flick ons and his free kicks were on target but the service he got was pretty poor all game with no width. Mellis though had quiet first half and subbed.

On the less positive side the Right hand side especially in second half was poor. James is back to playing with little confidence at RB, rarely gets on the overlap to provide width and doesnt get his foot in. He wasnt helped when Thomson came on for 2nd half. No pace, didnt take on players and offerred no defensive cover to James, the goal being a disaster in that neither James or Thomson put in a tackle. Just got to hope Murty gets fit soon, dont play him against Birmingham save him for the league. I think I would prefer Wotton at RB even without any pace at least he would tackle. Thought Lallana and Sneiderlin for all their talent had poor games and failed to stamp any authority in midfield. Patterson didnt have great game but may have had loss of confidence after missing sitter in 1st minute. Saganoski did okay in second half.

There were some signs there that improving, plenty of set pieces dealt with comfortably and if we get Murty at RB then back line looks okay. Midfield like last season is getting over run and if Lallana and Sneiderlin dont step up to plate soon would pick Gillet, not that skilled but gives his all.

Think AP would be glad if Saga and Rasiack go as wants players who want to be there and may offer a chance to get in replacements. To be honest think we still need 1 defender, CB midfield player capable of playing at RB if required, a winger with pace and 1 other striker. Other changes can wait to transfer window. If we got those in I would loan out Thomson and Gobern as dont think they should be in the team at this stage
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male
Number of posts : 3461
Job/hobbies : Golf
Humor : The Simpsons
Registration date : 2009-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post  village idiot Sun 23 Aug 2009, 4:12 pm

I thought we looked a decent side in the making yesterday.Trotman looked good alongside Perry in the centre and i felt we looked much more solid all round. I do feel that Lallana must be played wide right which i think will happen when Mills & Holmes are fit, he does not look the same player on the left.I hope Rasiak & Saganowski depart soon to enable us to bring players in who want to play for Southampton F.C. All in all i am more optimistic than i have been for along while.Patience is key for this club and its fans at the moment.
village idiot
village idiot
OCCASIONAL WORDS OF WISDOM
OCCASIONAL WORDS OF WISDOM

Male
Number of posts : 74
Job/hobbies : saints,nature, esp.birds of prey
Humor : milligan,phython etc
Registration date : 2009-07-22

Back to top Go down

AFTER-MATCH ANALYSIS:  BRENTFORD Empty The Sting

Post  The Liebherr Bird Sun 23 Aug 2009, 11:36 pm

Liebherr Birds and The Bees

Nothing sexy about this football match, and not a great deal of forward play.
Almost hit THE G with Trotman, but the Saints Virgin managed to miss the target from close in.

It was a frustrating match, until 73 minutes in. Harding pushed up and fired home.
Southampton looked like they were going to go all the way. Not so.

The Bees had a sting in Taylor. On 83 minutes, Cleveland ruined the affair.

THANK GOD, Bees only sting ONCE!

pale
The Liebherr Bird
The Liebherr Bird
REGULAR CONTRIBUTOR
REGULAR CONTRIBUTOR

Male
Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2009-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Perennial Underachiever Mon 24 Aug 2009, 8:53 pm

It sounded okay on the radio (couldn't post here as I was rearranging furniture and cleaning the house and my computer was buried under the debris!) but again, same old mistakes, going to sleep once we'd gone ahead and chucking away two points. It did sound like we'd made a lot more chances than before but we couldn't put 'em away. Disappointing.

Two or three more of the right signings, get rid of the not-up-to-it/unmotivated ones and we'll start to do well. Trouble is, this needs to be sooner rather than later. I'd like to see Gillett in instead of either Lallana or Schneiderlin maybe?
Perennial Underachiever
Perennial Underachiever
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Number of posts : 2374
Job/hobbies : Wildlife, photography, travel
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Mon 24 Aug 2009, 10:25 pm

Interesting point about Gillet. I'm not a great fan as think his distribution is not good and his lack of height hurts us in this league. That said he does put in a great amount of work and does break up play, bit like Marsden used to. On Saturday's performance would certainly have done a better job than Mellic or Thomson, so think he might get a run out tomorrow night.
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male
Number of posts : 3461
Job/hobbies : Golf
Humor : The Simpsons
Registration date : 2009-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post  SFC Forever Mon 24 Aug 2009, 10:29 pm

To be fair to Morgan he has had nobody capable of helping him up until now. Mellis I am still undecided about but all our other signings have shown that they can do the job. Harding has done well and so has Murty. Lambert can't do it on his own but will score if we can make the chances for him. Hammond did well and stiffened the midfield and Trotman was excellent for the majority of his debut. After Stockport we will have a better idea as to how we are doing. I agree that we still need a couple of players and players of stature as well.
SFC Forever
SFC Forever
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male
Number of posts : 12257
Job/hobbies : Hoping to see Saints win
Registration date : 2008-09-01

http://www.southampton.vitalfootball.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Alf Tupper Thu 27 Aug 2009, 5:37 pm

Some pictures I took at the Brentford game:

AFTER-MATCH ANALYSIS:  BRENTFORD 5695_262556500226_752645226_8493748_5814988_n

AFTER-MATCH ANALYSIS:  BRENTFORD 5695_262556530226_752645226_8493749_5724131_n

AFTER-MATCH ANALYSIS:  BRENTFORD 5695_262559180226_752645226_8493838_6151394_n

AFTER-MATCH ANALYSIS:  BRENTFORD 5695_262559190226_752645226_8493839_3665714_n

AFTER-MATCH ANALYSIS:  BRENTFORD 5695_262565630226_752645226_8493925_5753422_n

AFTER-MATCH ANALYSIS:  BRENTFORD 5695_262570930226_752645226_8494061_5276085_n

AFTER-MATCH ANALYSIS:  BRENTFORD 5695_262844330226_752645226_8500085_7840660_n

AFTER-MATCH ANALYSIS:  BRENTFORD 5695_262881070226_752645226_8500787_2872642_n

AFTER-MATCH ANALYSIS:  BRENTFORD 5695_262992875226_752645226_8503472_3611371_n
Alf Tupper
Alf Tupper
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male
Number of posts : 2108
Job/hobbies : Media Operations
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 02 Sep 2009, 11:07 pm

Great Alf.........please keep 'em coming!! :?:
Admin
Admin
Forum Admin

Male
Number of posts : 1526
Registration date : 2008-08-29

https://ohwhenthesaints.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete from Oz Sat 05 Sep 2009, 11:52 am

Great Alf,

Being on the other side of the world and (of course) not being able to attend games, these type of match photos and match reports are really useful to me.

Cheers mate
Pete from Oz
Pete from Oz
A VOICE TO BE LISTENED TO

Male
Number of posts : 716
Humor : Improving
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Alf Tupper Sat 05 Sep 2009, 2:37 pm

Thanks for the positive feedback. Unfortunately I am on call for work this weekend so will not be at St Marys - and next week I am off on holiday for a couple of weeks so it will be a while before I can get down to see the lads while carting the box Brownie along with me.
Alf Tupper
Alf Tupper
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male
Number of posts : 2108
Job/hobbies : Media Operations
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete from Oz Tue 08 Sep 2009, 8:14 am

Mate, enjoy the break. You have probably earned it.
Pete from Oz
Pete from Oz

Male
Number of posts : 716
Humor : Improving
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content