SOUTHAMPTON WORLD and STAR BAR:........
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EVERTON AT ST MARY'S

3 posters

Go down

EVERTON AT ST MARY'S Empty EVERTON AT ST MARY'S

Post  SaintMike Fri 24 Nov 2017, 10:53 am

Everton are having a very poor run, they must be glad they are due to play Saints, a great chance for them to get some points!
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male
Number of posts : 15087
Job/hobbies : Trying to control users of Southampton World
Humor : Forgotten what that is
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://www.ohwhenthesaints.net

Back to top Go down

EVERTON AT ST MARY'S Empty Re: EVERTON AT ST MARY'S

Post  matty07uk Sun 26 Nov 2017, 11:54 am

Well definitely a 6 pointer, cannot see us not conceding so going for a 1-1 draw.

If he starts Tadic, Redmond and Boufal I sort of hope we lose as it should be his last act as manager. I don't want to sack him yet like to be given a chance with a couple of his own signings no Black screwing up on training ground and see what he can do. However if he starts this 3 again, especially as we have no Romeau then and Lemina 50/50 he truly is clueless. As to take a risk on Lemina as a game we must win, pointless saving him for City away What a Face
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male
Number of posts : 3461
Job/hobbies : Golf
Humor : The Simpsons
Registration date : 2009-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Sun 26 Nov 2017, 8:51 pm

Well a pleasant surprise, we won! Shocked And we scored 4 Goals Shocked All from open play Shocked

Well I wasn't convinced by team selection as just Austin up front but at least no Redmond and with JWP and Hojberg expected some effort and wasn't disappointed. We started well much quicker than previous weeks and seemed a determination to pass quicker, even if it was sideways. Austin had a chance with a flick on from Van Dijk but couldn't keep down and blazed over, bearing in mind his lack of game time no real surprise. Tadic once again gave the ball away in front of our goal which allowed Everton a shot on goal, fortunately tamely wide. Cedric was causing all sorts of problem on the right hand side and having barged Signudson out of the way, good body strength for a small player hit in a low hard cross and Austin so unlucky as his shot hit the outside of the post. Saints took the lead with a well worked goal, ball played out deep from defence, Bertrand, who plays so much better when Redmond not there, ran though and played a great ball to Tadic who looked like he might play for a penalty with a defender on his heels but managed to play the ball past Pickford, not much pace but rolled it into the empty net.

Boufal hit a decent cross into the box, unfortunately was Ward Prowse at far post and went over him, heading not his forte! Was all saints then as you know with this saints team always a mistake there. Davis at fault playing around on the left side, 2 or 3 chances to clear, failed to do so, ball went to Signurdsson who had acres of room to pick out his dipping shot that when in off bar and post, for once no blame on Forster. So instead of going in 1 up we go in level and expected a tough second half.

We started very slowly , another invigorating half time talk as we went back to slow build ups. But we finally took the lead with again good work down the left side, Boufal flicked the ball over the top, Bertrand overlapping hit a great cross with power and Austin did the rest. Flick header with the pace of the cross went in off the bar with Pickford nowhere, You know with Everton they are at their weakest when they concede so was great to see saints keep on the pressure and a very similar goal for number three. Tadic went in for a challenge having lost the ball and it bounced toward their corner flag, only Tadic actually reacted and chased down the loose ball, hit a similar cross and Austin got in between the two defenders and placed his header in the far corner. Three goals and all from open play.

Forster had very little to do, Lookman came on and looked quite useful but was isolated and their only chances were long range shots from Signurdsson, one blazed high and wide. The final goal came with a few minutes left and credit to Ward Prowse, he played a neat one two with Cedric, showed great control to bring the ball down in the box, laid off to Davis who hit a curling shot into the far corner of the goal with again Pickford no where near the ball. Subs made were Lemina on for Tadic with 15 minuets left, Long for Austin with 10 minutes left and Yoshida for Boufal with 5 minutes left. For once sensible subs at the right time, Austin was shattered

So a great confidence booster, and a much better team performance. Hojberg had a great game, winning tackles taking the ball forward, probably the best game he has had for saints. Ward Prowse worked his socks off and when played on the right can do a decent job, Cedric was brilliant at bombing forward, Bertrand a different player when Redmond not playing and Austin at last with service delivered the goals

Forster 6 didn't do anything wrong, but a very quiet afternoon, Everton had little threat.
Cedric 8 really did create them problems all game in getting forward,
Van Dijk 7 looked in control for most of the game.
Hoedt 7 a solid display and seems to be getting some strength with his headers
Bertrand 7 great cross for the second goal and also played a key role in the first.
Hojberg 8 some great tackles, carried the ball and seemed to revel in the space he had.
Davis 6 still quite negative when he receives the ball turning back and at fault in build up to their game, goal cancelled that out
Ward Prowse 7 worked hard great support player and decent deliveries
Tadic 7 still frustrating as at times in first half just disappeared but a goal plus an assist, notable when he was on the left, stay there Dusan.
Boufal 6 frustrating player at times but helped set up second goal and great close control, if he can learn when to cross or shoot could be a real threat
Austin 8 one over the top, one hit the post then 2 headed goals, give him the service and he will get us goals, not the most mobile but play to his strengths

Subs all 6 to little time for anything but Lemina looked assured.

Everton look in a mess, little shape old at the back, Baines went off injured first half and Williams and Jagialka look liabilities and no threat up front.

matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete from Oz Mon 27 Nov 2017, 5:42 am

Thanks Matty. A pleasing result.
Pete from Oz
Pete from Oz
A VOICE TO BE LISTENED TO
A VOICE TO BE LISTENED TO

Male
Number of posts : 716
Humor : Improving
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintMike Mon 27 Nov 2017, 9:18 am

Thanks Matty.....4 goals from open play, 2 of them headers!! Quite a day.......

I watched it on Sky and must say it was pleasing to see the team, as a whole, put in some effort for once. For me, the weakest links were Tadic and Davis. If I were in charge, I'd play Boufal in preference to Tadic.

I thought Hoedt played at least as well as VVD....... both full backs were brilliant...... Ward-Prowse had one of the best games I've seen him play...... Austin made a tremendous difference up front. But I feel really sorry for Hojberg..... he was massive yesterday, but if Lemina and Romeu are available to play what chance does Hojberg have of a regular spot in the team? I thought he played better than Romeu has played sometimes this season but a little harsh to drop Romeu. Would it work if all three played and Davis was left out??

My armchair ratings:
Forster 6
Cedric 8
Hoedt 8
VVD 7
Bertrand 8
Hojberg 8
Davis 6
Ward-Prowse 8
Boufal 7
Tadic 6
Austin 9
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male
Number of posts : 15087
Job/hobbies : Trying to control users of Southampton World
Humor : Forgotten what that is
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://www.ohwhenthesaints.net

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Mon 27 Nov 2017, 2:07 pm

Mike

agree with your observations. We were saying at game that of the starting 3 midfield, Davis looked the weakest so should be dropped when Romeau and Lemina available. I suspect may nurse Lemina back and Hojberg will I suspect be rested for City. What Hojberg did was definitely play himself into the squad and starting 11, away from home he could always play 4 in midfield with Hojberg or Lemina slightly forward. I also think this means Redmond should be on the bench for some time, JWP earned his place in the team.

As a big critic of Tadic and still frustrating at time yesterday probably his best game for some time but he was played on the left side where he is at his best. Interesting with Tadic left and JWP right we looked balanced and they stayed wide and crossed the ball with their best foot. When he plays Redmond left and Tadic right they always want to come inside where congested to get on their favourite foot.

Maybe, just maybe he is beginning to recognise what the players are best at and playing them in that role as opposed picking his favourite 11 and making them fit into his formation
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content