SOUTHAMPTON WORLD and STAR BAR:........
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WEST BROM AT ST MARY'S....

3 posters

Go down

WEST BROM AT ST MARY'S.... Empty WEST BROM AT ST MARY'S....

Post  SaintMike Fri 10 Jan 2014, 10:04 am

Can Saints pick up a much-needed win?   West Brom now have their new coach in place which may be a bad sign.

Tino has said that Artur Boruc is back in full training but I imagine this Saturday may be too soon for him.

I am really trying to see us win this.......but sorry to say I just can't!!   Sad

It's starting to get tight in the middle to bottom half of the table now, we are 6 points and 5 places above the Baggies.....if we had lost against them on the opening day we would now be on the same number of points!
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male
Number of posts : 15087
Job/hobbies : Trying to control users of Southampton World
Humor : Forgotten what that is
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://www.ohwhenthesaints.net

Back to top Go down

WEST BROM AT ST MARY'S.... Empty Re: WEST BROM AT ST MARY'S....

Post  matty07uk Fri 10 Jan 2014, 7:52 pm

I think we might well scrape this one by the odd goal, still not firing on all cylinders and need Wanyama back and 2 more games without Osvaldo but hopefully can get that elusive win, 2 - 1 saints
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male
Number of posts : 3461
Job/hobbies : Golf
Humor : The Simpsons
Registration date : 2009-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Sat 11 Jan 2014, 9:17 pm

well said it would be a close game with one goal in it and glad it proved that way with saints getting that so all important win. Just as important for the confidence is the fact no goals conceded. Very similar to the WBA away game at start of season I went to, saints dominating possession knocking the ball around and looking very comfortable without creating that many chances, taking a one nil lead but then a brilliant save by Boruc to prevent a draw in the last minute, Deja Vu!

saints started brightly and sprayed the ball around, Lallana had a shot from edge of area but was comfortable for Foster then Lambert had a shot from left side of box and went just wide of the right hand post. Foster was wasting time almost from the start, a clear tactic to slow the pace of the game down and there must have been at least 6 signals from Webb to speed up before he actually warned Foster, do not understand why when a player continues to cheat, time wasting is supposed to be an offence, the referee tales no action. Webb while getting most of the early decisions right did make a couple of poor decisions later on which showed the lack of consistency that frustrates players and fans alike.

saints then became a little frustrated, and players started long range shots, Cork, Davis and Schneiderlin but all really wide. I do want saints to shoot more but would prefer that came from our strikers. WBA had little real threat, a mistake by Lovren let them in down the right but recovered to give a corner which Boruc punched clear. Then a series of free kicks slowed the game down, then a great example why fans get fed up with referees even the likes of Webb, Lovren went in for tackle and played ball but caught Long. first foul by Lovren, Long plays as if dead off the pitch so Webb books Lovren. WBA player then takes ages to take the free kick waiting to see if Long is okay, how is that not dissent? Free kick comes to nothing but within a minute Long is sprinting down the pitch chasing a long ball. Do they have no shame? he acted as if his leg was broken then a minute later could have given Usain Bolt a run for his money. saints ended the half with 2 more shots this time by Lambert and Rodrigues but well over.

Second half slow to start, Poch really needs to change his half time talk. Rodrigues had a chance when he won the ball in the middle of the park and went on one of his runs on goal but again had left his shooting boots behind and ball went wide. Then came the example why I have little support for referees especially likes of Webb who are supposedly ranked no 1 in England, Shaw broke forward and Anelka cynically scythed down. That must have been Anelka's 4th or 5th foul, as bad if not worse than Lovrens yet no booking. Referees should be expected to come out and explain their decisions after the game. Needless to say Anelka kept on fouling eventually being booked . Long also kicked out at Shaw and no action taken. Ramerez came on for Cork and took a free kick but easy save for Foster, should have left for lambert. however he did have a real impact on saints goal, the ball was rolled to Ramerez and Lallana was on a run into the box and he passed the ball straight into his path, and Lallana coolly finished. Then another good example of Webb for me bottling it, Lallana was on for a break on the halfway line and taken out with a high tackle by Olson. Based on criteria of high tackle, violent and studs showing could easily have been red but not for Mr Webb, plus Olsen could easily have been booked earlier.

As you would expect WBA made a few subs to bring on extra strikers and saints were beginning to look a little stretched but still Boruc had not had any major saves to make. Then with 5 minutes left Lallana was taken of with Ward Prowse coming on, strange decision for me as Adam had not tired, was holding the ball well and offered us an outlet. Couple of real scares towards the end as WBA suddenly started finding away through, perhaps they shouldn't have been so negative from the start. Real defining moment was on 90th minute when WBA opened us on the right hand side cut inside the box, pulled the ball back to Long about 6 yards out with goal at mercy, side footed his effort but some how Boruc standing tall managed to knock the ball away, saints broke away and Ramerez had a great opportunity but probably should have passed but took a shot which was fairly easy for Foster. last minute of extra time Shaw had a shoulder challenge on WBA striker given as a free kick couple of yards outside box and from by-line, Brunt swung the free kick to far post and Boruc palmed over for a corner, Foster was up for the corner but hit deep then as Foster looked to hook back in, final whistle went.

So the run of games at home with no wins has ended and saints are back to winning ways. Good to have Boruc back but we didn't look that threatening up front. Rodrigues and Lambert looked tired, Rickie had a pretty awful game to be honest. Ramerez showed his good and bad side, great creative pass to set up the goal but often lost the ball in the middle of the park. Hopefully Osvaldo will come back fully fit and add some competition up front, plus hopefully Wanyama will be back soon.

Boruc 8 not may saves to make but great instinctive save right at end
Cline 7 good defensively could probably have done better with his crossing
Lovren 6 not his best game made a few errors early but generally recovered
Fonte 8 very dominate at the back and decisive.
Shaw 8 very good defensively and also won several key headers towards the end.
Davis 6 plenty of effort though didn't have his shooting boots on
Schneiderlin 6 okay but has played better.
Cork 6 some really good work but un done by poor distribution, tried to be to clever
Lallana 9 really is on song at the moment, another goal and held the ball so well
Rodrigues 6 one good run at goal but otherwise didn't look like scoring
Lambert 5 poor game for me one of his worst all season, little movement and seems averse to being in the box.

Subs

Ramerez 7 his pass for the goal offsets his ability to give the ball away, we do however need creativity so don't see him going.
Ward Prowse 6 didn't do much but only on for about 10 minutes
Guly 6 only on for extra time but think he touched the ball more than Ward Prowse.

Oh and top marks to the female lino on the right hand touchline, looked like she got just about everything right and flagged early, not waiting for the ref to show the way.
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete from Oz Sun 12 Jan 2014, 8:11 am

Thanks Matty, another top report.
Pete from Oz
Pete from Oz
A VOICE TO BE LISTENED TO
A VOICE TO BE LISTENED TO

Male
Number of posts : 716
Humor : Improving
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Sun 12 Jan 2014, 10:02 pm

Thanks Pete, glad I didn't have to report on the English cricket team!
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintMike Sun 12 Jan 2014, 11:20 pm

Thanks Matty, relieved I got it wrong this time.

Good to see Boruc back and Lallana having another great game. I feel Ramirez is starting to playing his part at last.
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male
Number of posts : 15087
Job/hobbies : Trying to control users of Southampton World
Humor : Forgotten what that is
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://www.ohwhenthesaints.net

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Mon 13 Jan 2014, 6:34 pm

SaintMike wrote:Thanks Matty, relieved I got it wrong this time.

Good to see Boruc back and Lallana having another great game.  I feel Ramirez is starting to playing his part at last.

At least he is beginning to make a positive contribution though he is not much good at defensive duties so if we start with 2 strikers and Lallana then think we become unbalanced. Worked on Saturday as WBA were clearly intent on a draw so not a great threat to the midfield and we needed to unlock them but not sure I would start him at Sunderland unless we start with 1 striker
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down