SOUTHAMPTON WORLD and STAR BAR:........
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PHILIP MARTIN BROWN.......GRANTLY BUDGEN

+21
LennyLion
Jimmy Melia's Barber
Its All SouthamptonFC
AlbionBandMarchesOn
GROUCHO
SaintRobbie
DellBoy
Give it some Welly
Hot Cross Ben
get stuck in
SaintsChick
play it again sam
half pint
another fine mess
saint_lambden
Bantly Grudgen
Owen D Saints
North End Mam
Jillyanne
Bob's your Uncle
SaintMike
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

PHILIP MARTIN BROWN.......GRANTLY BUDGEN Empty PHILIP MARTIN BROWN.......GRANTLY BUDGEN

Post  SaintMike Mon 20 Jun 2011, 9:51 am

Those of us who watch television's Waterloo Road will be well acquainted with Grantly Budgen, the teacher well known for his cynical views on the teaching profession.

I am sure you will be pleased to know that Philip/Grantly has agreed to come on Southampton World and answer questions from anyone interested.

PHILIP MARTIN BROWN.......GRANTLY BUDGEN 091021_172140_WaterlooGrantlyBudgen

What Wikipedia says about him....

Philip Martin Brown (born 9 July 1956) is an English actor, born in Manchester. He attended Barrow-in-Furness Grammar School for Boys, where his favourite subject was English. At the end of his fifth year at the School, Brown was asked to leave the school, later stating that he was a 'dreadful troublemaker'.
Brown has starred in many TV shows and movies in a career that has spanned nearly 4 decades. Brown first appeared on UK television screens playing the role of 'Sam Potter' in 'A Horseman Riding By' (1978).
He is perhaps best known for his role as Grantly Budgen in the television series Waterloo Road. One of the most frequently appearing characters, Brown has appeared in nearly 60 episodes of the series. He has also worked on The Professionals, The Bill, where he appeared in 10 episodes as Seth Mercer, and has made appearances on many other British dramas, including Heartbeat, Midsomer Murders, Hetty Wainthropp Investigates, New Tricks and Doctors.
His most prominent role in a drama before Waterloo Road was his portrayal of Eddie Vincent in Casualty, where he starred in 17 episodes between 2002 and 2003. He also played John Adams in the film The Bounty. he also appeared in Sharpes Justice in 1995.
He lives in Paddock Wood, Kent with his wife Pip. They have two children, Jodie and Rupert. In 2010, Brown was nominated for Best Actor prize in the 2010 TV Choice Awards. When not acting, Brown works as a supply teacher at Mascalls School in Paddock Wood.

Please leave messages and questions for Philip on this thread..........I should perhaps warn you that he has a habit of switching around letters in his words so you may have to work out what he is saying!! Shocked
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male
Number of posts : 15087
Job/hobbies : Trying to control users of Southampton World
Humor : Forgotten what that is
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://www.ohwhenthesaints.net

Back to top Go down

PHILIP MARTIN BROWN.......GRANTLY BUDGEN Empty Re: PHILIP MARTIN BROWN.......GRANTLY BUDGEN

Post  SaintMike Mon 20 Jun 2011, 10:02 am

What the BBC says about PMB.....

Philip's acting career has spanned nearly four decades with his TV credits including The Professionals, The Bill, Heartbeat, Midsomer Murders, New Tricks, Doctors and Casualty. He is married with two children and is a huge Manchester United Fan.

PHILIP MARTIN BROWN.......GRANTLY BUDGEN 1132091143-Philip_Martin_Brown

And what the BBC says about Grantly Budgen....

A relic of the English department, and nearing retirement age, Grantly has had many years to perfect his cynical disenchantment with the teaching profession. He’s slightly scruffy, tired and lacks conviction about anything - especially since he failed to write the novel he’s always believed he had in him. He’s sarcastic, but is often witty with it, and his asides in the staff room often prompt a giggle from his colleagues - many of whom have a soft spot for him.

The only love in his life is his wife, Fleur, who he adores. He has old-fashioned values and believes marriage should be forever – and after a little blip in the marriage in series four, Grantly and Fleur realised they couldn’t be without each other. Grantly was heartbroken when Fleur was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in series six and tried to care for her whilst hiding his living situation from his colleagues. When Steph returned to Waterloo Road, she finally persuaded Grantly that the kindest thing he could do for Fleur was to put her in a care home.

Partial to a drink and a flutter on the horses, Grantly wants an easy life and thinks school is a much nicer place when the kids aren’t there.

PHILIP MARTIN BROWN.......GRANTLY BUDGEN Grantly-ruth-waterloo

PHILIP MARTIN BROWN.......GRANTLY BUDGEN 0
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male
Number of posts : 15087
Job/hobbies : Trying to control users of Southampton World
Humor : Forgotten what that is
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://www.ohwhenthesaints.net

Back to top Go down

PHILIP MARTIN BROWN.......GRANTLY BUDGEN Empty Re: PHILIP MARTIN BROWN.......GRANTLY BUDGEN

Post  Bob's your Uncle Mon 20 Jun 2011, 10:52 am

Fantastic to see you here PMB. Disappointed to see you have no taste and support Man United but hope Saints will be back up with you in the top flight soon. The two teams have had some great clashes in the past.

Have you any memories of Southampton you can tell us about or have you never been down our way?
Bob's your Uncle
Bob's your Uncle
A VOICE TO BE LISTENED TO

Male
Number of posts : 845
Humor : Yep, I laugh whenever I look in a mirror
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Jillyanne Mon 20 Jun 2011, 11:05 am

welcome Terrific to see you here, I try never to miss Waterloo Road.

You surprised me a few months ago when I saw you doing a dance routine for Comic Relief. You are an accomplished dancer, have you received dance training or worked as a dancer?

I found this picture:
PHILIP MARTIN BROWN.......GRANTLY BUDGEN C_71_article_1409337_image_list_image_list_item_0_image
Jillyanne
Jillyanne

Female
Number of posts : 690
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post  North End Mam Mon 20 Jun 2011, 11:12 am

Waterloo Road is great entertainment although the storylines can be a little far-fetched sometimes, you might agree. Are there any amusing behind-the-scenes stories or bloomers you can tell us about please?
North End Mam
North End Mam

Female
Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2009-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Owen D Saints Mon 20 Jun 2011, 11:17 am

hi

The acting when Fleur had to go into care was absolutely great, you deserved an award for that. What memories do you have of those scenes?
Owen D Saints
Owen D Saints

Male
Number of posts : 474
Registration date : 2009-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Bantly Grudgen Mon 20 Jun 2011, 12:31 pm

Hi, I'll be on the case within 48 hours
Bantly Grudgen
Bantly Grudgen
SPECIAL GUEST
SPECIAL GUEST

Male
Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2011-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post  saint_lambden Mon 20 Jun 2011, 5:10 pm

Hi Phil, great fan of Waterloo Road and the drama involved every week.

Do you think it is important that scenes/events on programmes like Eastenders and Waterloo Road, examples being the Ronnie Mitchell 'baby snatch' storyline and Denzil's daredevil stunts recently, are broadcasted on TV as they create debate and controversy?

Football related ones - do you see United often or does your work restrict you? Do you think the club will be as successful after Sir Alex leaves or will it take time for a similar level of success to be obtained? Are you as concerned as other United fans about the Glazers and the huge debt that is rising at the club through their spending?

saint_lambden
saint_lambden
SPEAKS WHEN HAS TO
SPEAKS WHEN HAS TO

Male
Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2009-12-22

Back to top Go down

Post  another fine mess Tue 21 Jun 2011, 1:50 am

The Waterloo Road series has thrown up many memorable characters over the years........which actors and actresses were the 'characters' behind the scenes? Who were the jokers/pranksters? Who were the serious joes?

Which actors and actresses have you been closest friends with?

Did you, or any of the others, have superstitions you can tell us about please?
another fine mess
another fine mess
OCCASIONAL WORDS OF WISDOM

Male
Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2010-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post  another fine mess Tue 21 Jun 2011, 1:54 am

Apparently this was you as John Adams in 'The Bounty'. You have changed a lot!! Was it a wig?

PHILIP MARTIN BROWN.......GRANTLY BUDGEN 67821-2295
another fine mess
another fine mess

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  another fine mess Tue 21 Jun 2011, 2:02 am

Who do you think is the dishiest actress you have worked with?
another fine mess
another fine mess

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  another fine mess Tue 21 Jun 2011, 2:05 am

Of the many young actors and actresses who played pupils at Waterloo Road, who would you say showed most promise and are likely to have a successful acting career ahead of them?
another fine mess
another fine mess

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  another fine mess Tue 21 Jun 2011, 2:10 am

How do you think Waterloo Road compares to earlier school series such as Grange Hill?

Sorry that's rather a lot of questions.
another fine mess
another fine mess

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  half pint Tue 21 Jun 2011, 10:21 am

hello Philip!!

I think you are great in Waterloo Road. I have googled you and see that, apart from the programmes mentioned above, you have also featured in Coronation Street and Juliet Bravo.

I used to follow Heartbeat, Casualty, Juliet Bravo and Coronation Street regularly. Can you tell us a little about your roles in those series please.......and, if possible, an amusing story about your time in them! Thanks.
half pint
half pint
REGULAR CONTRIBUTOR
REGULAR CONTRIBUTOR

Male
Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2010-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post  half pint Tue 21 Jun 2011, 10:54 am

I can never get the hang of it, but if you are cleverer than me, could you please put some more photos on here for us?
half pint
half pint
REGULAR CONTRIBUTOR
REGULAR CONTRIBUTOR

Male
Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2010-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post  play it again sam Tue 21 Jun 2011, 10:58 am

hello
You have played in many different series over the years, which have you enjoyed most? Which roles are you proudest of? (And are there any you are perhaps just a little embarrassed about?)
play it again sam
play it again sam

Male
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2010-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintsChick Tue 21 Jun 2011, 11:06 am

Hi,

Answer these so we can see what makes you tick?

1. Do you have a wife and children? What are their names?

2 If you had not become a famous actor what job would you have liked to do?

3 What hobbies do you pursue?

4 What car do you drive?

5 What would be your ideal car to drive?

6 What sort of music do you listen to?

7 Who are your favourite singers/groups (past or present)?

8 What are or were your favourite TV programmes?

9 What are your favourite films?

10. What are your favourite plays?

11. What are your favourite books?

12 Who is your favourite actor?

13 Who is your favourite actress?

14 Who is your favourite comedian /funnyman?

15 Do you have any pets?

16 What is your favourite meal?

17 What is your favourite drink?

18 Is there anything you regret not having done in your life so far and do you have any ambitions you hope to fulfil?
SaintsChick
SaintsChick

Female
Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2009-07-30

Back to top Go down

Post  get stuck in Tue 21 Jun 2011, 11:18 am

Hi THERE,
Danny Wallace was one of my Saints heroes and I was heartbroken when he left for Old Trafford.... Sad ..... Did you see him play for Man United?
get stuck in
get stuck in

Male
Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2009-07-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Hot Cross Ben Tue 21 Jun 2011, 2:38 pm

Owen D Saints wrote: hi

The acting when Fleur had to go into care was absolutely great, you deserved an award for that. What memories do you have of those scenes?

Was it for that story line that you were nominated for the Best Actor Award last year?
Hot Cross Ben
Hot Cross Ben
SPEAKS WHEN HAS TO
SPEAKS WHEN HAS TO

Male
Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2010-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Give it some Welly Tue 21 Jun 2011, 3:02 pm

Wiki says you had to leave school because you were a troublemaker.......please tell us what you had been up to!! Did your parents take it ok or were you in the doghouse at home too?
Give it some Welly
Give it some Welly
SILENT OBSERVER
SILENT OBSERVER

Male
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post  DellBoy Tue 21 Jun 2011, 3:06 pm

Hi there. Are there any games between Manchester United and Saints that you remember seeing?
DellBoy
DellBoy

Male
Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2009-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintRobbie Tue 21 Jun 2011, 4:05 pm

Hi Philip. Thanks for honouring us.

Do you have anything apart from Waterloo Road in the pipeline at the moment? Anything else we can see you in?
SaintRobbie
SaintRobbie
SILENT OBSERVER
SILENT OBSERVER

Male
Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post  GROUCHO Tue 21 Jun 2011, 4:25 pm

Hi Philip and welcome from me too.

Are your wife and children in acting too? Or what do they do?

Do you go over with your family what has been going on in the studio or do you switch off when you're at home? Are they fans or critics of your work??
GROUCHO
GROUCHO
SILENT OBSERVER
SILENT OBSERVER

Male
Number of posts : 23

Back to top Go down

PHILIP MARTIN BROWN.......GRANTLY BUDGEN Empty Bantly Grudgen

Post  Bantly Grudgen Tue 21 Jun 2011, 5:26 pm

Bob's your Uncle wrote:Fantastic to see you here PMB. Disappointed to see you have no taste and support Man United but hope Saints will be back up with you in the top flight soon. The two teams have had some great clashes in the past.

Have you any memories of Southampton you can tell us about or have you never been down our way?

hi , I beg to differ on the matter of taste ! I too hope to see "The Saints" back where they belong . I remember watching the FA cup final when you pulled off a shock result against us . Still getting over it ! I once did a series for the Beeb which was shot in and around Soton . "The Chain" I think it was called . I brought my son to your fair city to look around the Uni but ( hock shorror ) he chose Pompey !
Bantly Grudgen
Bantly Grudgen
SPECIAL GUEST
SPECIAL GUEST

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Bantly Grudgen Tue 21 Jun 2011, 5:38 pm

Jillyanne wrote: welcome Terrific to see you here, I try never to miss Waterloo Road.

You surprised me a few months ago when I saw you doing a dance routine for Comic Relief. You are an accomplished dancer, have you received dance training or worked as a dancer?

I found this picture:
PHILIP MARTIN BROWN.......GRANTLY BUDGEN C_71_article_1409337_image_list_image_list_item_0_image
hi Jillyanne , I surprised myself a few months ago when I agreed to do "Let's Dance" for Comic Relief . I don't think I've ever been so nervous . Breakdancing LIVE in front of 8,000,000 people ! No , no formal training at all - just a misspent youth . I spent alot of my teenage years in Northern soul discos . If you fancy it then you and all the members of this site can follow me on twitter ( PhilipMartinB )
Bantly Grudgen
Bantly Grudgen
SPECIAL GUEST
SPECIAL GUEST

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next