SOUTHAMPTON WORLD and STAR BAR:........
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Be realistic

+6
get stuck in
The Liebherr Bird
manifest10
kempez
saintscottofthenortham
soundofthesouth
10 posters

Go down

Be realistic Empty Be realistic

Post  soundofthesouth Wed 29 Jul 2009, 8:10 pm

Looking through this site & others.I believe that a lot of our fans need to realise that we are a L1 club now.We are not going to attract some of the names that have been linked to Saints. I feel that it will take 2 or 3 years to get out of this division and maybe another 2-3 to get in the prem. We need to be very very patiant & I feel that it will come.

It makes sod all difference that we have a prem ground & facilities.....we have the same poor team we had last season but with -10pts.

I would like to see us get a few loans in this season and a good striker if ms,gr & sj are not up for it!!!

Still got my ticket for Millwall & very very excited about this season...COYR!! Smile
soundofthesouth
soundofthesouth
SILENT OBSERVER
SILENT OBSERVER

Male
Number of posts : 8
Job/hobbies : Community worker,Football,Badminton.
Humor : Poor
Registration date : 2009-07-14

Back to top Go down

Be realistic Empty Re: Be realistic

Post  saintscottofthenortham Wed 29 Jul 2009, 8:38 pm

Good post soundofthesouth.

Fully agree with what you are saying. It's gonna be tough attracting decent players, we are gonna be having some over the hill but experienced players, aswell as we are going to have to settle with taking chances on some players. Pards has been here before, he knows the score.

Can't emphasise enough to some saints fans that patience really is needed during whats going to be a very tough good few years. Jumping on the managers/players backs after a few defeats in a row wont help either, we need to be right behind everyone at all times. In Pards I trust... Think there couldn't be a better manager we could have had for the situation were in.

My Season Ticket is ready & waiting, as are my Northampton, Huddy & Swindon tickets and I am raring to get behind the lads!

Come on You Saints... The FUTURE is bright, It's RED & WHITE! Just gonna take a fair old while, but have faith...

SaintScottoftheNortham
saintscottofthenortham
saintscottofthenortham
SILENT OBSERVER
SILENT OBSERVER

Male
Number of posts : 7
Job/hobbies : Electrician
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post  kempez Wed 29 Jul 2009, 9:07 pm

Agreed we're going to have to be patient, but one thing we cannot afford to do is start losing and get relegated. I am expecting mid-table at least hopefully. Once we've had a year with the new owners behind us, we can build and build.

Due to commitments (wedding etc), I couldn't really spend £300ish on a season ticket, but I may well pick up a 1/2 season ticket after my expensive year is over :p
kempez
SILENT OBSERVER
SILENT OBSERVER

Male
Number of posts : 3
Job/hobbies : IT consultant. Play football, swim, badminton, like PC's and AV.
Registration date : 2009-07-22

http://www.overclock3d.net

Back to top Go down

Post  saintscottofthenortham Wed 29 Jul 2009, 10:02 pm

kempez wrote:Agreed we're going to have to be patient, but one thing we cannot afford to do is start losing and get relegated. I am expecting mid-table at least hopefully. Once we've had a year with the new owners behind us, we can build and build.

Due to commitments (wedding etc), I couldn't really spend £300ish on a season ticket, but I may well pick up a 1/2 season ticket after my expensive year is over :p

Well if your missus' was any good she'd put the wedding back so you can get ya season ticket then get married when ya can afford it... tut tut tut. lol.

On a serious note, yes mid table would be a succesful season to me. Just get us on firm footings after all the abuse this club has took from a certain fox hunter.
Looking forward to it though...
saintscottofthenortham
saintscottofthenortham
SILENT OBSERVER
SILENT OBSERVER

Male
Number of posts : 7
Job/hobbies : Electrician
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post  manifest10 Wed 29 Jul 2009, 11:22 pm

i am very much looking forward to the start of the season we've had a nightmare few months an im so glad it has come to an end.
we have a new owner an manager an things are looking up, this league should be good for some of our youngsters if we get a few more experienced players then i think we'll make top half and playoffs would be a bonus we cant get to confident but....
OH WHEN THE SAINTS OH WHEN THE SAINTS
manifest10
manifest10
SILENT OBSERVER
SILENT OBSERVER

Male
Number of posts : 20
Job/hobbies : Glazier. Football an music
Humor : not bad
Registration date : 2009-07-15

Back to top Go down

Post  The Liebherr Bird Thu 30 Jul 2009, 8:44 am

I think the main concern at the moment, is that our squad is actually weaker than the one we had last year, which would have also struggled in this league ( especially with a 10 point deficit ). This league is every bit as competitive as the Championship. You don't need me to remind you of Cup exits at the hands of Rotherham and Bristol Rovers in recent years. And these are not clubs that have done well in the lower leagues themselves.

The Hearts win was encouraging, but we also have to acknowledge that the goals they conceded against us were awful ( defensively ), and that the only other results we have to go by so far, are non-league defeats.

What is disturbing is that other clubs are putting deals together ( especially with our players ) in quick time, but nothing seems to be happening very fast at St. Mary's. Not even a realistic sniff of recruitment from official sources yet.

I am optimistic we can finish in the middle of the table, but that prediction requires some anticipated spending ( especially down the all important core of the team ). We can't afford to start 10 points adrift, with a weakened squad. As AP stated when he arrived, a lot of these young lads just need a confidence boost. Seeing all the better players leave, isn't going to give them that.

How I wish we could find three players like Dave Watson, Jimmy Case and Frank Worthington.

Last edited by The Liebherr Bird on Thu 30 Jul 2009, 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total
The Liebherr Bird
The Liebherr Bird
REGULAR CONTRIBUTOR
REGULAR CONTRIBUTOR

Male
Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2009-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post  The Liebherr Bird Thu 30 Jul 2009, 8:45 am

These three were seemingly finished, but knitted all the younger players together, and were a great mental influence.
A little bit of know-how wouldn't go amiss right now.
The Liebherr Bird
The Liebherr Bird
REGULAR CONTRIBUTOR
REGULAR CONTRIBUTOR

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  The Liebherr Bird Thu 30 Jul 2009, 8:47 am

I remember fans singing "We want our Frankie back" the season after he left.
This, after a season where he only notched three goals in a central striker position. He was a key ingredient.
The Liebherr Bird
The Liebherr Bird
REGULAR CONTRIBUTOR
REGULAR CONTRIBUTOR

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  The Liebherr Bird Thu 30 Jul 2009, 8:48 am

Having said that, it was a bit easier getting the likes of them to come and play top flight football, than it is to entice past masters to play League One ( third tier ) football.

Still optimistic though!

affraid COME ON YOU SAINTS!
The Liebherr Bird
The Liebherr Bird
REGULAR CONTRIBUTOR
REGULAR CONTRIBUTOR

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  get stuck in Thu 30 Jul 2009, 12:10 pm

Surely Pardew must know SOME usefel players he can entice here?
get stuck in
get stuck in
OCCASIONAL WORDS OF WISDOM

Male
Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2009-07-30

Back to top Go down

Post  village idiot Thu 30 Jul 2009, 6:10 pm

I think we just need to be patient. I think we have had enough of under achieving players.I would rather Pardew took his time and got the right ones rather than go for some knee jerk reaction just to keep the fans happy. I think he knows better than us what he is doing and will get it right for us.It was not long ago that we were happy just to have a club.so keep calm, everything will come good in the end. (hopefully).
village idiot
village idiot

Male
Number of posts : 74
Job/hobbies : saints,nature, esp.birds of prey
Humor : milligan,phython etc

Back to top Go down

Post  The Liebherr Bird Thu 30 Jul 2009, 8:02 pm

You're right Village Idiot. Although that's a sentence I never imagined I would use in my lifetime!

Very Happy

Lovin' the AVATOR 'GetStuckIn'

:lol:
The Liebherr Bird
The Liebherr Bird
REGULAR CONTRIBUTOR
REGULAR CONTRIBUTOR

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Thu 30 Jul 2009, 10:53 pm

Agree we have to be patient and no doubt Pardew is doing all he can to get players in. My concern is AP has been there 2 weeks now yet no news all week about his assistants (Dillon and Downes were previously mentioned. He said himself he cant do everything and thanks to Pinnacle bid we lost 3 weeks which are critical if we want to be ready for Millwall game. We dont have a board in place and these aspects you would think could be sorted out quickly as must have ideas of what they were going to do. The club themselves said hope to have the assistants in soon over a week ago yet not a mention on the official website, which is par for course. If there is going to be a delay due to contracts or something tell us, if nothing else bring Doddsy in for a few months to provide AP some help.

Think the fans with over 10000 season tickets sold are doing their bit so a little more communciation from the club with the fans would not be a bad idea.The club website is probably the last place any fans go to to get any news!!
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male
Number of posts : 3461
Job/hobbies : Golf
Humor : The Simpsons
Registration date : 2009-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post  The Liebherr Bird Thu 30 Jul 2009, 11:04 pm

Agree, Matty
The Liebherr Bird
The Liebherr Bird
REGULAR CONTRIBUTOR
REGULAR CONTRIBUTOR

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Vegassaint Thu 30 Jul 2009, 11:12 pm

matty07uk wrote:Agree we have to be patient and no doubt Pardew is doing all he can to get players in. My concern is AP has been there 2 weeks now yet no news all week about his assistants (Dillon and Downes were previously mentioned. He said himself he cant do everything and thanks to Pinnacle bid we lost 3 weeks which are critical if we want to be ready for Millwall game. We dont have a board in place and these aspects you would think could be sorted out quickly as must have ideas of what they were going to do. The club themselves said hope to have the assistants in soon over a week ago yet not a mention on the official website, which is par for course. If there is going to be a delay due to contracts or something tell us, if nothing else bring Doddsy in for a few months to provide AP some help.

Think the fans with over 10000 season tickets sold are doing their bit so a little more communciation from the club with the fans would not be a bad idea.The club website is probably the last place any fans go to to get any news!!

100% what every fan is thinking mat
Vegassaint
Vegassaint
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male
Number of posts : 1537
Job/hobbies : DARTS FOOTBALL GOLF DRINKING
Humor : mock the week,porridge
Registration date : 2008-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  SFC Forever Fri 31 Jul 2009, 12:28 pm

I really believe the general consensus is that we will struggle early season but pick up as the season advances towards Xmas. AP has till the end of the month to bring in players and then there are the loanies which I feel certain will be coming in. Last season we were given some truly disastrous loanies and they helped put us where we are today. Even though I have said we will finish in the top 6 that is to a large extent wishful thinking. Heart ruling the head you may well suggest.
I still feel confident that our kids with some help could do well. We have probably the most experienced quality keeper and hopefully Murty will secure the RB slot. Mills and Harding could tie down the left flank though I would love to see a good fleet footed winger on the flank. Especially if he was able to track back and tackle. Spiderman could do a good job for us this season if we give some muscle in the form of a big strong hard tackling midfield general. Gillett is ok but he might well be found short of strength and speed this time around. James hasn't shown a lot preseason and for that he concerns me a little. Wotton I don't rate at all and can see his slowness being a magor handicap. He will get himself booked again and again because of his lack of speed.Gobern showed glimpses last season as did Paterson. Rasiak would be a gigantic bonus if he stayed and I still think he could be persuaded with the right remuneration. The man could have a decent wage plus a good bonus scheme for points and or goals scored.
I still feel that we could do well given a boost by a couple of really good buys.
SFC Forever
SFC Forever
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male
Number of posts : 12257
Job/hobbies : Hoping to see Saints win
Registration date : 2008-09-01

http://www.southampton.vitalfootball.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  village idiot Fri 31 Jul 2009, 4:43 pm

S.F.C. FOREVER. Agree about Wotton.However i disagree about Raisaik, i feel he is lazy and money orientated, he seems not to give a monkeys about our club,i hope he goes soon and if £500,000 has been bid for him as is .rumoured i would snap their hands off.money saved on wages and the fee could buy us someone who really wants to play for us. I know he scores goals but if he does not want to be here let him go.
village idiot
village idiot

Male
Number of posts : 74
Job/hobbies : saints,nature, esp.birds of prey
Humor : milligan,phython etc

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Fri 31 Jul 2009, 5:31 pm

Happier today with news of APs assistants, might not be high profile names but think good for us. Wilkinson supposedly a bit of a fitness freak, guess Saga and Raziak will want out even quicker! He did well at Brighton and thought he had a raw deal there, and importantly know players in this league. Murdoch dont know much about him but has experience in the lower leagues which I am afraid is where we are and what we need! AP says expects to bring in a couple of players soon so hopefully a couple of signings soon.
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male
Number of posts : 3461
Job/hobbies : Golf
Humor : The Simpsons
Registration date : 2009-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post  SFC Forever Fri 31 Jul 2009, 9:43 pm

The interesting thing for me is that AP has chosen two relatively unknown people to help him. He must know something himself and as you say one is heavily into fitness. When fit injuries are less likely to happen so hopefully our wafer thin squad won't catch us out.
SFC Forever
SFC Forever
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male
Number of posts : 12257
Job/hobbies : Hoping to see Saints win
Registration date : 2008-09-01

http://www.southampton.vitalfootball.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content