SOUTHAMPTON WORLD and STAR BAR:........
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IN ORDER OF PREFERENCE......

+5
littleoldladysaint
SaintMike
SFC Forever
Perennial Underachiever
Admin
9 posters

Go down

IN ORDER OF PREFERENCE...... Empty IN ORDER OF PREFERENCE......

Post  Admin Sun 12 Jul 2009, 9:38 am

Place these names, 1 - 12, to show who you would like to see as Saints manager. We will see who are the forum's favourites and who we would fear!! Shocked
PLEASE PLACE ALL 12 IN ORDER.

Micky Adams

Tony Adams

Steve Coppell

Alan Curbishley

Iain Dowie

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink

Glenn Hoddle

Kevin Keegan

Nigel Pearson

Peter Reid

Alan Shearer

Gordon Strachan
Admin
Admin
Forum Admin

Male
Number of posts : 1526
Registration date : 2008-08-29

https://ohwhenthesaints.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

IN ORDER OF PREFERENCE...... Empty Re: IN ORDER OF PREFERENCE......

Post  Perennial Underachiever Sun 12 Jul 2009, 1:09 pm

If 1 is your preferred choice and 12 is an absolute no no at all costs then here's mine:

1. Gordon Strachan - Yes please! Despite reports of him taking a break would he fancy a challenge?

2. Steve Coppell - would actually be my joint first choice with WGS

3. Nigel Pearson - knows how to get out of L1, but would he even come here again after being sacked by L**elife?

4. Kevin Keegan - be awesome, a real fan pleaser and player-attracter but would he come?

5. Alan Curbishley - I wouldn't say no, decent enough manager and 'a name'

6. Glenn Hoddle - HCDAJFU, but would he come?

7. Micky Adams - has ruled himself out (hasn't he just joined Port Vale?)

8. Iain Dowie - hit and miss. Mostly miss

9. Alan Shearer - not convinced of his managerial credentials

12. = Peter Reid - see TA and JFH: NO NO NO!

12. = Tony Adams - No thanks, joint 12th with JFH and PR

12. = Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink 12 - is JFH even a manager?
Perennial Underachiever
Perennial Underachiever
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Number of posts : 2374
Job/hobbies : Wildlife, photography, travel
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post  SFC Forever Sun 12 Jul 2009, 10:08 pm

Gillingham's manager or Paul Tisdale would do for me. I don't think we stand a chance of either though unfortunately.
Of those on the list I would only really go for a couple.

1/ K Keegan because we would get one hell of a ride before he disappeared into the sunset.
2/ A Curbishley as I feel certain he could do a good job for us.
3/ G Hoddle because he will help us with attacking flair. He does have his enemies down here but some good results would see them vanish until such time as he disappeared again.
4/ N Pearson but with several doubts as to why. He did keep us up but only just.
5/ Wee Gordon would possibly have been higher in my list if he hadn't been here already.
6/S Coppell but only if with one of the promising young managers this country has but who are not on this list.
12/ All of the rest as none will put bums on seats. JFH has no experience. T Adams is a loser pure and simple. And an ex skate. A Sheare is a loser along with Reid and M Adams. I Dowie is just one illiterate sounding explayer who only seems able to get teams playing one boring style.
SFC Forever
SFC Forever
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male
Number of posts : 12257
Job/hobbies : Hoping to see Saints win
Registration date : 2008-09-01

http://www.southampton.vitalfootball.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 12 Jul 2009, 11:40 pm

It's a bit worrying that a number of sites are thinking it could be Tony Adams.......
Admin
Admin
Forum Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  SFC Forever Mon 13 Jul 2009, 7:38 am

Worrying is not the word that I would use. At first when I heard that, I tried to find a reason but couldn't. I find it totally incomprehensive that anyone would pay out a small fortune for a football club and then place the club in such turmoil as that Tony Adams would bring. He has failed twice and does not, repeat not, deserve a chance to do to us what he did to the blue side of town so to speak.
SFC Forever
SFC Forever
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintMike Mon 13 Jul 2009, 12:42 pm

SFC Forever wrote:Worrying is not the word that I would use. At first when I heard that, I tried to find a reason but couldn't. I find it totally incomprehensive that anyone would pay out a small fortune for a football club and then place the club in such turmoil as that Tony Adams would bring. He has failed twice and does not, repeat not, deserve a chance to do to us what he did to the blue side of town so to speak.

Perhaps we should petition St Marys before its too late?
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male
Number of posts : 15087
Job/hobbies : Trying to control users of Southampton World
Humor : Forgotten what that is
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://www.ohwhenthesaints.net

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintMike Mon 13 Jul 2009, 12:43 pm

Pinched from another website...

Now let’s look at all the names mentioned for manager, and think about this, how many of them will have any idea who is who in the 3rd and 4th divisions? What I mean by that is quite simply, I believe we should be looking at poaching a manager from one of the clubs either in our league or the one below, perhaps even the one above if he has already had proven experience of the lower leagues in recent years.

Now this already knocks some out of the equation right away, mainly the big guns such as WGS, Keegan and Coppell. None of them will have much idea of who is who in these leagues. Tony Adams had some experience hear some years ago, but none of it that recent and none of it that good. Micky Adams again has not been back in these leagues for that long but is the best bet of all of these so far, as he will at least know some of the names and faces worth buying in these leagues.

I can run a list of other names out such as young Adkins at Scunthorpe and Tisdale down at Exeter. Both of them have done some good work so far. Gary Johnson at Bristol City also may feel his work is done there and fancy the new challenge, but I doubt it. But these are the sorts of names we should be looking at. Maybe there are even some others in the lower leagues, young Fergie who has just taken the Posh up to the CCC perhaps?

How many of these guys would actually take the job I don’t know, many of course will see their current job as a better/safer bet. But as I say I honestly believe we have to look in this direction rather than up to the lofty heights of Strachan and Keegan. Yes good managers in their own way, but this maybe not their bag. Anyway, I expect some sort of news on the manager front very soon, so we may not have to second guess much longer.
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male
Number of posts : 15087
Job/hobbies : Trying to control users of Southampton World
Humor : Forgotten what that is
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://www.ohwhenthesaints.net

Back to top Go down

Post  SFC Forever Mon 13 Jul 2009, 4:14 pm

Someone is speaking with some deep thinking which seems almost impossible being connected to a saints topic. Seeing some of the rubbish being spouted as gospel and fact it makes a nice change.
I agree that we should be looking for a manager that can get us some players suitable to the task in question. Not necessarily from a manager down at our level but certainly a man who is more than capable of guiding us to a higher level. The main consideration must be how much he is going to have to spend and how long he will have to succeed. We are not a cast iron certainty for promotion at present and I can see us struggle at the start as we waste more and more time.
Time we do not have to spare so please please get the manager sorted asap and let us start building.
SFC Forever
SFC Forever
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  littleoldladysaint Mon 13 Jul 2009, 9:02 pm

1. Gordon Strachan by a country mile! Unfortunately, it is very unlikely that he would want to come back to a club that is now 2 divs lower than when he left it. Having said that, I would have thought that if there no chance of his return he would have said so publicly by now. He must know of the interest in him!

2. Kevin Keegan - I would quite like to see him back as manager but I thought that due to a compensation claim that he is pursuing against Newcastle he is unable to accept any job. Does anyone know if this is a fact?

3. Nigel Pearson would be excellent I think, but after the shabby way he was treated at SFC why should he walk away from Leicester after his achievement with them to return to us.

They are the 3 that I personally would prefer. I can't see us getting any of them.

From what I have read and heard about our new owner, he is quite a conservative (with a small 'c'!) man with a very reserved manner - I could see him liking the sound of people such as Alan Curbishley, Steve Coppell or Alan Pardew. Of these 3, I have heard that Alan Curbishley is holding out for a Prem Club (could be a long wait Curbs),Steve Coppell has apparently already turned down a couple of job offers. I did hear that Alan Pardew has actually applied for the job and had been added to the short list. So maybe he is a possibility. I think that he would do a reasonable job.

Still, what do I know? Lets just hope there is a decision made soon. We have'nt got too much time. scratch scratch

Last edited by littleoldladysaint on Mon 13 Jul 2009, 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bad puctuation)
littleoldladysaint
littleoldladysaint
A VOICE TO BE LISTENED TO

Number of posts : 741
Registration date : 2008-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post  SFC Forever Mon 13 Jul 2009, 11:39 pm

Alan Pardew is an interesting option. I wouldn't be to disappointed if he was given the job
SFC Forever
SFC Forever
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 13 Jul 2009, 11:55 pm

Thanks for the thought given to the posts on this thread. They make very interesting reading.
Admin
Admin
Forum Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Stockysaint Tue 14 Jul 2009, 3:51 pm

Admin wrote:Place these names, 1 - 12, to show who you would like to see as Saints manager. We will see who are the forum's favourites and who we would fear!! Shocked
PLEASE PLACE ALL 12 IN ORDER.

Micky Adams...................10

Tony Adams......................12

Steve Coppell....................2

Alan Curbishley....................3

Iain Dowie.......................5

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink ...............9

Glenn Hoddle.....................11

Kevin Keegan...............4

Nigel Pearson.................7

Peter Reid........................6

Alan Shearer.................8

Gordon Strachan
Stockysaint
SILENT OBSERVER
SILENT OBSERVER

Male
Number of posts : 1
Job/hobbies : Royal Mail/moaning about Saints
Registration date : 2009-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post  HarryMonk Tue 14 Jul 2009, 11:23 pm

I think we would all like to see the return of WGS but I can't see him being interested in coming back with the club where it is.

Pearson would be ideal, but I agree with what has been said before, would he leave a club who he has just got into the Championship to go back to league one and a club who treated him so poorly.

Curbs would be a good choice in the same breath as Pardew, both have something to prove so I would be happy with either, and both play good football.

At the other end of the scale you have JFH no experience what so ever so in my book that is him out and Tony Adams really that has to be a joke!!!

One more name to put in the pot is Adie Boothroyd, I am led to believe he is quite keen???
HarryMonk
SILENT OBSERVER
SILENT OBSERVER

Male
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-07-14

Back to top Go down

IN ORDER OF PREFERENCE...... Empty manager

Post  saintchris Wed 15 Jul 2009, 9:28 am

I keep reading that the bookies are making Adams fav!!!!!!!!!!
I have looked at Ladbrokes, william hill,paddy power and corals. None of these are making a book....where is this information coming from or is it a wind up by skates
saintchris
saintchris
SILENT OBSERVER
SILENT OBSERVER

Male
Number of posts : 7
Job/hobbies : GOLF
Humor : QUICK
Registration date : 2009-07-15

Back to top Go down

IN ORDER OF PREFERENCE...... Empty Manager

Post  matty07uk Wed 15 Jul 2009, 9:34 pm

First post on here so be kind. Like all fans just cannot see why Tony Adams should be seen as favourite. While a good player his two stints have manager have been consistent in failing and simply has poor man management skills. Hopefully Oldknow will pick up the phone and ask someone like MLT for a view, just not either Adams please.Would like to see Strachan back as nothing else he would restore fitness into the squad, sadly missing last couple of years. That said I'm not convinced he really is interested if he had made known he was then sure they would have simply appointed. Keegan great for publicity but wont stay if it gets tough. Reality is someone not in a job has to be an easier option. That could give Coppell, Curbishley, Boothroyd and Pardew as a decent pool we could choose from but who knows who is on the list. I would be happy with any of these and if we did go for a lower league manager then Paul Tisdale would be my choice, done well at Exeter and will know players to go after.

Would be nice to get sorted quickly as most are available now, unless of course we are waiting for Capello to become available!
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male
Number of posts : 3461
Job/hobbies : Golf
Humor : The Simpsons
Registration date : 2009-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post  SFC Forever Fri 17 Jul 2009, 9:31 am

Good first post Matty.
LOLS you hit it right on the nail. Excellent choice. Pardew has the job. Now let us see what players he can bring in to bolster our weak squad.
SFC Forever
SFC Forever
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  littleoldladysaint Fri 17 Jul 2009, 10:22 am

Well, I did consider Alan Pardew but only very briefly! I had completely forgotten his achievements at Reading. After a few minutes more careful thought he so obviously 'ticks all the boxes' with his experience of promoting teams from the lower levels plus his Prem experience I'm surprised that he was'nt one of the front runners from the beginning. After an initial pang of disappointment that it was'nt WGS who I was not really expecting but was hoping for I am really pleased with his appointment. I think the board have made an excellent choice and we would beon to a reall winner! Smile Smile
littleoldladysaint
littleoldladysaint

Back to top Go down

Post  SFC Forever Fri 17 Jul 2009, 10:43 am

Funnily enough his was the only name that we were told had actually applied for the job. Shows that he must fancy his chances. All in all I am looking forward to seeing him at SMS tomorrow. Should now have a great crowd atmosphere and no matter how we fare against Ajax we have someone to get behind. Let us greet him with a song which shouldn't be hard to find as tomorrow is his birthday. I fancy SSN could be there as well.
Right now it feels as though all my birthdays have come at once. My club has been saved. We now have a manager that has a good past history
and still has ambition. Tomorrow I can take my 5yo boy to SMS and the start of our revival.
He doesn't know it yet but Graham is going to be a lifelong saints supporter. He is starting to learn his letters etc and soon will be able to join us on here as well. Twizzle is starting to moan because I never take her so looks as though she is getting hooked as well.
I think you can say I am a happy dad at he moment.
SFC Forever
SFC Forever
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  littleoldladysaint Fri 17 Jul 2009, 8:21 pm

Hopefully, Mr Leibherr will get a welcome that will warm the cockles of his heart! Very Happy Very Happy
littleoldladysaint
littleoldladysaint

Back to top Go down

Post  SFC Forever Fri 17 Jul 2009, 8:46 pm

I do hope so. I will be there with 2 of the kids and maybe a nearly filled ground. Twizzle doesn't know she is going yet so she will get some surprise in the morning. I am having to borrow my garages spare car to get there. The owner knew me over 50 years ago when we played in the rec off violet road. At least I think it was violet road.
SFC Forever
SFC Forever
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum