SOUTHAMPTON WORLD and STAR BAR:........
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HOME TO WATFORD

3 posters

Go down

HOME TO WATFORD Empty HOME TO WATFORD

Post  SaintMike Thu 28 Nov 2019, 9:20 am

The next 2 games could well shape the rest of the season. If Saints can pick up 6 points from the Watford and Norwich matches they should start to distance themselves from the foot of the table. Trouble is, as most Saints fans will realise, 6 points would be extremely unlikely. I would guess Saints will pick up 3 or 4 points at best.
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male
Number of posts : 15087
Job/hobbies : Trying to control users of Southampton World
Humor : Forgotten what that is
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://www.ohwhenthesaints.net

Back to top Go down

HOME TO WATFORD Empty Re: HOME TO WATFORD

Post  matty07uk Thu 28 Nov 2019, 7:18 pm

Not our season, see Troy Deeney and Pereyra both likely to be fit☹. Boufal hasn’t trained as stubbed his toe on a table☹.
We do need to win both games as these are 2 teams likely to be relegated as well so unless we win both games we will be joining them. Going for a 2-1 win but not at all confident
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male
Number of posts : 3461
Job/hobbies : Golf
Humor : The Simpsons
Registration date : 2009-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete from Oz Sun 01 Dec 2019, 12:30 am

Well a win it turned out to be. It was a good (and surprising) thing to wake up to this morning.
Pete from Oz
Pete from Oz
A VOICE TO BE LISTENED TO
A VOICE TO BE LISTENED TO

Male
Number of posts : 716
Humor : Improving
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Sun 01 Dec 2019, 11:05 am

Well it has been 7 months but finally seen saints win at St Marys! Not at all a good game or good performance but the 3 points were crucial. yet again Raplh worries me with his tactics and team selection. Started Obafemi, Redmond, Djenepo and Ings.  3 effectively wide player who clearly didn't know who was supposed to be where and no Romeo protecting the back four so no surprises that we looked like conceding whenever the ball was lumped into our half. With no effective midfield we also kept going backwards as no one to pass to or anyone making a run. Resulting in long ball to the 5 ft 9 Obefemi. Watford should have taken the lead in first few minutes with  another misplaced pass to their striker who fortunately hit it early and wide when he had loads of time. We really couldn't get going due to the shape, Redmond had a shot that went over, and that was about all he did all game and did not really test Foster. Their goal was so typical of the season, hopeful punt down field, easy for Stephens to do the simple thing and put into touch, instead try's to be clever, makes a mess of it and gifts the ball to Watford striker who this time doesn't miss. Could have been dead and buried as McCarthy then made two excellent saves, one with his feet when Bertrand was no where near his player with a deep cross (Arsneal goal, Man City goal all over again).

Getting in at only 1 down after one of the worst first half's seemed like not bad. Typical Ralph no subs used to change it  and was more of the same though Watford started to sit deeper to defend their lead. At last subs were made with Boufal for Redmond and Long for Obafemi, surprised at Long coming on before Adams. But Long did his usual to cause problems and certainly his more direct runs had more impact than Redmond. Boufal then created panic in the Watford penalty area, played in Long who should have scored but to close to Foster who tipped onto the bar, started to think wouldn't be our day. Last change saw Cedric off and Valeray on, guess for his attacking intent and Long should have scored having been set up by Ings but did his usual fluffed in front of goal. Pressure finally told when Djenepo got down the right picked the ball up near the byline danced towards goal and poked the ball past Foster for Ings to fire in from 1 yard. Supposedly ball hit Djenepo hand when bouncing but fortunately no VAR, never any intention of handball but under new (Stupid) rules a handball if a striker not a defender. Game had swung Hojberg had a decent run from left side towards goal when brought down. and at last Ward Prowse actually scored from a free kick, his reputation as great dead ball is not borne out by the goals, hit well and the power meant although Foster got his hand to it he couldn't stop it.

Then 5 minutes of play plus 6 minutes extra time, amazing how always a high number when we are winning. Lots of pressure of pumped balls into the box some poor defending by Valeray twice giving away corners when one he could easily have shadowed out and the other cleared for a throw in.  He really isn't a right back. Mc Carthy did well to tip over a mishit cross that was creeping in and we held on for what might be a crucial 3 points. Might not be as think Watford, Norwich and us will go down unless we spend on the defence in January and a couple of sides above us hit poor form.

McCarthy 7 no chance with goal and few key saves, wish he would kick out more then passing to his defenders but Ralphs, tactics
Bertrand 5 has the talent just not the desire
Stephens 5, cannot fault his effort or his desire but makes far to many mistakes
Bedanek 5, again to many mistakes, lacks confidence and plays better when not alongside Stephens.
Cedric 5 was okay defensively but little going forward
Ward Prowse 6 some good things plus a goal but far to many misplaced passes giving the ball away,
Hojberg 5 usual hit and miss with him this season some good bits and plain awful.
Djenepo, 6 poor first half , better in second half when played on the rightside with Obafemi out the way
Redmond 4 really gone backwards this season, completely ineffective
Obafemi 4 supposedly did well at Arsenal, looked poor against a very poor Watford side, been late for training so not sure why in front of Adams
Ings 8 easily MoTM, scored another goal, worked his socks off trying to win the ball back and showed passions that I didn't see last season, hope he stays fit

Subs
Long 6 created problems but should have scored
Boufal 7 his trickery caused problems but can he do if he starts a game.
Valeray 5 not a lot of time to do much but really needs to ne coached as full back, think Bedanek should play RB with Yoshida back in as CH.

So some hope, but to be honest not a lot, Ralph again seems to make odd team selections and forgets about the balance needed, Obafemi before Adams?, No Romeau in midfield, just 2 proper(and that includes JWP affraid ) in the middle and numerous errors by individual in the back four. Squad do not seem to be playing for him but this shower didn't play for the last 3 managers so no real surprise there, massive overhaul needed but no money from Chairman Gao or the time to do if even if there was.
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintMike Mon 02 Dec 2019, 1:08 am

Thanks Matty. Watching on Sky, I thought we were lucky to get the win. The first goal could easily have been disallowed for handball...... and McCarthy had to rescue us maybe half a dozen times.

Redmond looked upset when taken off but he needed to go as his spark has gone. Not sure why Romeu and Adams aren't nearer to getting games..... wondering if they are failing to please Ralph on the training field.

Just my humble opinion, but I thought the poorest performances were those of Redmond, Obafemi, Cedric and JWP who didnt seem to do much apart from the goal. I thought Bertrand had a pretty good game

I was surprised Sky gave JWP their Man of Match award...... if up to me I'd have given it to McCarthy, Djenepo 2nd, between Ings and Bertrand 3rd.
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male
Number of posts : 15087
Job/hobbies : Trying to control users of Southampton World
Humor : Forgotten what that is
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://www.ohwhenthesaints.net

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Tue 03 Dec 2019, 8:30 pm

would agree that JWP was not MOTM, he did do some decent work late on but first half would have scored a 3/4 with misplaced passes., he should have been embarrassed picking up the award. For me Ings was the one who was consistent throughout the game, he made decent runs but never got the ball from his colleagues, kept telling Obefemi where to go, and ran to close down players, that finally sparked the others into life. I was not his biggest fan last season but so far this season way out ahead for me for Player of the season, hope he stays fit and keeps it up.
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content