SOUTHAMPTON WORLD and STAR BAR:........
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PALACE ON EASTER MONDAY

3 posters

Go down

PALACE ON EASTER MONDAY Empty PALACE ON EASTER MONDAY

Post  SaintMike Sun 08 Apr 2012, 12:28 pm

What are our chances?
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male
Number of posts : 15087
Job/hobbies : Trying to control users of Southampton World
Humor : Forgotten what that is
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://www.ohwhenthesaints.net

Back to top Go down

PALACE ON EASTER MONDAY Empty Re: PALACE ON EASTER MONDAY

Post  matty07uk Sun 08 Apr 2012, 12:50 pm

Depends if Adkins has been able to stop them feeling sorry for themselves and more angry that they let it slip and determined to make up for it. With 6000 fans there that ought to give them a lift and Palace havent been playing that well. Despite the effort would keep most of the team that started Saturday with Chaplow replacing Guly in starting 11 and Puncheon on the bench instead of De Ridder. I probably would leave Guly on the bench as gives a couple of different options.

I am going with a win but really depends on how the palyers react. This could be our defining game as if they dont have fire in their belly and get turned over then its the Play Offs for us and dont think we would have the momentum you need for that.
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male
Number of posts : 3461
Job/hobbies : Golf
Humor : The Simpsons
Registration date : 2009-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostromo Mon 09 Apr 2012, 2:03 pm

Not confident about today, but we'll see what happens. I've adopted a 'que sera, sera' approach, it is as it is. Going to miss the next few games because I'll be away (back for the final game), I don't know if I am sorry about that or not! Probably not.
Nostromo
Nostromo
A VOICE TO BE LISTENED TO

Male
Number of posts : 774
Humor : Warped
Registration date : 2010-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostromo Mon 09 Apr 2012, 5:04 pm

I want to be not confident all the time, it means we win! When I'm confident, we cock it up. Back on track with that excellent performance. It sounded as if the team were determined not to throw it away after that disappointing Sk8 result.

We're a 'one man team' according to Wet Spam fans. Yeah? So what? Stick it up your arses, jealous rabble. Very Happy

Now, for the next 30 hours only, I am a Birmingham City and Brighton & HA fan.
Nostromo
Nostromo

Male
Number of posts : 774
Humor : Warped
Registration date : 2010-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Mon 09 Apr 2012, 9:46 pm

Well sorry to disappoint those hammer fans but not a one man team based on today's performance. Yes Rickie delivered the goods again but very much a team performance, everyone playing for each other. What is odd is when rickie scores Sharp doesnt and vice versa! Still doesnt bother me so long as one of them bangs in the goals and the rest of the team play as a team.

Chaplow back in the side and made a big contribution, breaking up play, providing cover for Butterfield and geting forward when he could. Butterfield came in at right back and while didnt look that good in first half second he was right in front of us and thought he had a decent game with Chappers. The pair of them double teamed against Zaha and gave him no room, he got frustrated then booked and moved to other side when Fox and lallana double teamed him. Apart from a couple of cases when he got in crosses was kept well controlled.

6000 saints fans made plenty of noise, Weatherspoons must love us for drinks b4 the game, pitch was greasy and rained most of the game so ball zipped aorund so probably helped us. Kelvin had to be alert early on when a palace header had to be saved but saints gradually got more in the game beginning to control the midfield. Sharp tried a lob but Speroni was under no pressure. Lambert then tried a shot from distance which was going just wide but speroni tipped around for a corner. That came to nothing but saints had the ball in the net from Lambert but Fonte had clearly fouled in the build up. Saints took the lead without 5 mins to half time, Butterfield hit a deep cross and Lambert got up at the far post to head in. Confused us as ball came back out really quick as they have advertising boards close to the goal but lino no doubts. Saints so nearly got a second when there was some good build up and ball fell to hammond about 20 yards out who met with a sweet volley but just wide with goalie well beaten. Saints didnt have all their own way and Palace had a great chance right at end of half with martin well placed at far post but smashed over the bar.

Saints were working hard at start of 2nd half closing down well then got that so all important second goal. Saints closed the palace players down, Cork fed Lambert he took the ball on his right but then pulled back on to his left which took the palace defender out of the way then buried with his left foot into bottom far right corner. So much for "fattie rickie", great feet to get ball under control then power and accuracy.

Kelvin then had to make a great save down to his right at the post, had looked like it might sneak in. Rickie nearly got his hat trick when ball fell to him on edge of box and his volley just dipped onto top of the net with speroni beaten. Zaha then caused a problem with a low cross into the box which looked like reaching a Palace player but Fonte diverted out of harms way.

Adkins then subbed Fox with harding and Lambert with Guly. Have to admit worried me as there were still 15 minutes to go and you know if they get one goal would be immense pressure. Really wanted the third and Fonte had a downward header blocked by speroni and rebound went to Guly who had the goal at his mercy but couldnt get any power into his header and straight at Speroni.

saints played last 10 minutes out without any more major scares, 4 minutes extra time where saints kept the ball well and ran down the clock, unlike against the skates. Sharp fired wide with a fierce shot right at the death and the final whistle was met with cheers as well as great relief for the saints fans. Could see the belief back in the players faces after the disappointment against the skates.

Davis 8 looked confident all game some good punches and key saves.
Butterfield 7 good second half and his cross lead to first goal
Fonte 7 good game at his old club, got a good reception from palace fans as did Butterfield well done to them.
Hoovield 8 thought he really bossed the air today, dominant game
Fox 7 good defensively and better delivery today
Chaplow 7 glad to see him back, looked knackered at the end but worked his socks off and gave us balance, should start against Reading
Cork 8 real powerhouse game in the midst of everything
Hammond 7 lot of effort some great blocks
Lallana 7 not much sight of goal but plenty of effort today and good link play
Lambert 8 great performance in terms of his goals, he just has to be fit for rest of our games as he holds the ball so well.
Sharp 6 not a great day for Billy with few opportunities but his turn next game to score.

Subs
Harding 6 did well when he came on and a couple of runs with good crosses
Guly 6 did his job shame he couldnt convert his chance
de ridder only for last few minutes but held the ball well.

Have to say ground is awful, took forever to get out with just one small exit and chance to leave via other gates left locked. With 6000 fans there should make sure they manage the crowds properly.
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintMike Tue 10 Apr 2012, 12:27 am

Cheers yet again Matty..........hope you'll soon become a Premiership Reporter!
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male
Number of posts : 15087
Job/hobbies : Trying to control users of Southampton World
Humor : Forgotten what that is
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://www.ohwhenthesaints.net

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Tue 10 Apr 2012, 1:52 pm

So do I Mike but I should warn you my charges will have to reflect my premiership status, just like everyone else who wants a slice of the cake!!
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintMike Tue 10 Apr 2012, 11:33 pm