SOUTHAMPTON WORLD and STAR BAR:........
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SHOULD SAINTS HAVE A KEEPER ON THE BENCH?

3 posters

Go down

IS IT WORTH TAKING THE RISK?

SHOULD SAINTS HAVE A KEEPER ON THE BENCH? Vote_lcap60%SHOULD SAINTS HAVE A KEEPER ON THE BENCH? Vote_rcap 60% 
[ 6 ]
SHOULD SAINTS HAVE A KEEPER ON THE BENCH? Vote_lcap40%SHOULD SAINTS HAVE A KEEPER ON THE BENCH? Vote_rcap 40% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 10

SHOULD SAINTS HAVE A KEEPER ON THE BENCH? Empty SHOULD SAINTS HAVE A KEEPER ON THE BENCH?

Post  SaintMike Wed 22 Feb 2012, 12:59 am

West Ham having their keeper Robert Green red-carded tonight made me think a little........is Nigel Adkins right to pursue his recent favoured option of not having a recognised goalie on the subs bench? not sure What do you think?

Do we have competent goalkeeper cover amongst our outfield players??
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male
Number of posts : 15087
Job/hobbies : Trying to control users of Southampton World
Humor : Forgotten what that is
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://www.ohwhenthesaints.net

Back to top Go down

SHOULD SAINTS HAVE A KEEPER ON THE BENCH? Empty Re: SHOULD SAINTS HAVE A KEEPER ON THE BENCH?

Post  matty07uk Wed 22 Feb 2012, 8:33 pm

I am not sure if worth the risk. Fact is can only play 3 subs out of the 5 so you dont gain a lot by not having a goalie as you will always have 2 players who never get on the pitch, why not have 1 of those ur goalie. With 4 outfield subs you can have 1 defender, 1 midfield, 1 striker then 1 extra midfield or striker. With players like Guly they can play in midfield or as a striker so gives you flexibility.

More times you take the risk more likely will happen.

Think Richardson is first choice "reserve" goalie so a bit of a worry last Saturday when he wasnt fit
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male
Number of posts : 3461
Job/hobbies : Golf
Humor : The Simpsons
Registration date : 2009-07-11

Back to top Go down

SHOULD SAINTS HAVE A KEEPER ON THE BENCH? Empty Re: SHOULD SAINTS HAVE A KEEPER ON THE BENCH?

Post  Gerry Gurr Wed 11 Apr 2012, 2:38 pm

Back in the 60's before we had subs,I remember Cliff Huxford going in goal after John Hollowbread sustained an injury that eventually called time on his career. Likewise Campbell Forsyth with a broken leg.And Terry Paine told me he took over in goal at Portsmouth during one game.

Goalkeeping has certain rules ie dont get beat on your near post make them take the difficult shot and hit the far one etc, know the angles that put you in the place that makes you hardest to be beaten. Having said that you can do all the right things and it goes wrong, equally do all the wrong things and it goes right, if you do the right things you wont get blamed for what happens, do the wrong things and it goes wrong and more than likely you will be dropped.

The way the game is today with so many goalkeepers getting sent off each week for next to no contact with advancing opponents I would be inclined to always have a goalkeeper on the subs bench, we always did in Ted Bates time when he was allowed for european games. Also I can remember having to play against Sheffield Wednesday after staying the night before in Sheffield. I picked up a bug of some sort and was up from the early hours continually vomitting, the doctor gave me a jab but it was too late to get a replacement for me so I had to try and play. At one point I was on my hands and knees in the penalty area throwing up, that went on for most of the game and to round it off I threw up in the bath when we came off, as I recall the highlights were on tv. We managed to draw 0-0 with Ted Bates and John Mortimore helping me off the field after the game.

I believe most sides have a goalkeeper as one of the subs, I hope he never needs one.
Gerry Gurr
Gerry Gurr
A SAINT
A SAINT

Male
Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2009-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Wed 11 Apr 2012, 6:03 pm

I think Nigel is going to risk it for rest of season. Seems he wants 2 defenders on the bench with Harding and Martin being there last cple of game, two midfield players and one striker. Guly at least gives the option of midfield or striker.

Think the red card angle is the biggest threat to the goalie nowadays and Kelvin has been known to wander a bit!
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male
Number of posts : 3461
Job/hobbies : Golf
Humor : The Simpsons
Registration date : 2009-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down