SOUTHAMPTON WORLD and STAR BAR:........
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BURNLEY AT ST MARYS

4 posters

Go down

BURNLEY AT ST MARYS Empty BURNLEY AT ST MARYS

Post  SaintMike Wed 08 Feb 2012, 10:03 am

Birmingham and Cardiff just 2 points behind now.........gotta start winning!!
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male
Number of posts : 15087
Job/hobbies : Trying to control users of Southampton World
Humor : Forgotten what that is
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://www.ohwhenthesaints.net

Back to top Go down

BURNLEY AT ST MARYS Empty Re: BURNLEY AT ST MARYS

Post  village idiot Thu 09 Feb 2012, 3:31 pm

Bitterly disappointed after the loss to Millwall,I have not felt so gutted after a game for a long time.I know the cup is not our priority but we really should have won,the manager in my view put out a much better side than I was expecting and I think he had every right to expect a better level of performance and commitment.The buck for this performance stops 100% with the players in my view,tactics come into it obviously,but application comes from the players and the effort at times was not there,apart from the keeper that was virtually our main defence.I hope the players are ready for Burnley because I for one am not,the rot needs to stop now and get our season back on track,Its within them, they just have to go for it.Rant over ,
village idiot
village idiot
OCCASIONAL WORDS OF WISDOM
OCCASIONAL WORDS OF WISDOM

Male
Number of posts : 74
Job/hobbies : saints,nature, esp.birds of prey
Humor : milligan,phython etc
Registration date : 2009-07-22

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Thu 09 Feb 2012, 8:21 pm

Another difficult game and hope to see 100% commitment from the start. Defence has not looked solid lately and have to say Martin has looked short of confidence, not surprising when you see the run of results. Think Hoovield will start but really would like an experienced centre half brought in on loan. Midfield has not dominated since Chaplow was injured but might take a few games before he is back 100%. Schneiderlin and Hammond need to be told step up or find yourselves not even on the bench. Both have had good spells in games then ease back.

I like Guly but at the moment would want Chaplow right side, Lambert and sharp up front, subs would be Lee, Guly, Ham or Schn, Martin.

Does mean likes of Connolly, Barnard, Puncheon, De Ridder might not even make bench but the emssage should eb to everyone with those guys waiting whoever gets on the pitch better deliver. Cple of youngsters should be loaned out for games
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male
Number of posts : 3461
Job/hobbies : Golf
Humor : The Simpsons
Registration date : 2009-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintMike Sat 11 Feb 2012, 12:51 am

Feeling more than a little nervous here. While Saints play at home, West Ham Birmingham and Cardiff are all away so that on the face of it we should have a great chance of improving our position. The trouble is that it won't work out like that (will it?) and I think it much more likely that Saints will slip to 3rd or 4th. I can somehow see it finishing a draw against Burnley followed by losing at West Ham. After that we should be solidly be down in 4th or 5th place......and no doubt Nigel will be telling us that we should appreciate the positives and how well we have done this season to be in the top 6.

Make or break time methinks......1 point from the next 2 games would be a disaster, we must really pick up at least 4.........please!
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostromo Sat 11 Feb 2012, 1:33 pm

I agree with the above comments. Saints need to start winning from now on if we are to go up. Yes, the season's been beyond our wildest expectations so far, top of the league for most of it until recently, and fans' expectations have grown. Maybe our expectations have grown too much, but that doesn't mean that failure to get promoted now won't be a disappointment because it will. People say, we're second and let's be thankful for that and we shouldn't complain when we lose - and I agree up to a point, considering where we were a few years ago (and look at the Skates...!) - but there's no glossing over the fact the team are on a crap run of form, which would be a disastrous run if we hadn't been doing so well up until late November.

I think that this is the game that will probably define the rest of our season.
Nostromo
Nostromo
A VOICE TO BE LISTENED TO

Male
Number of posts : 774
Humor : Warped
Registration date : 2010-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Sat 11 Feb 2012, 7:54 pm

Well hopefully now saints are back on track. 3 points, first home league win of 2012 and a good all round team perfomance.

Sharp started with Guly out right which is team I expected. No goalie on bench which at least gave some options. Glad to see we changed it around and attacked Chapel end first. Sharp looked lively up front with good ball control. saints got the lead after just 10 minutes which allowed them to settle down. Guly and Richardson linked together with a decent cross in by Richardson and Lallana met with a header which went over the top of their goalie (actually their best player). Lambert had a shot soon after their goalie tipped onto post and out for corner and from that a header was cleared of the line, Bright start and Burnley looked quite decent with neat pasisng but not a great threat, they did have a shot from outside box but Kelvin was down well and held onto with no spills.

Saints got the second and shows the benefit of someone like Sharp. Lambert won the ball out on the left and knocked the ball into the box, Sharp was there with a couple of defenders and the goalie and somehow the ball was knocked past the goalie. We were opposite end and looked like an own goal as Sharp didnt celebrate that much even though announcer gave to him. So many time this season when Lambert is wide we dont have a presence in the box but you know with Sharp he will be in there. Sahrp again got on the end of a ball knocked into the box and from a tight angle tried to knock over their goalie who was able to knock away for another corner.

Second half got underway with Burnley with two subs on getting more pressure and plenty of crosses into box which Fonte and Hoovield dealt with albeit we got deeper. One goal mouth scramble form a corner where we were unable to clear the ball and bounced aorund before Kelvin was bale to fall on. Saints seemed to have weathered the storm after the first 15 minutes but Adkins took off Sharp for Connolly, not a good decision for me. Saintst nearly got the third almost immediately with great run by Lambert who beat his player on right cut in box and pulled the ball back, Lallana met but unbelievably ball hit their goalie who didnt have a clue and bounced to safety. Connolly then had a chnace but was to slow to shoot and cleared. Thought we had got the third when Lambert had a shot saved but ball fell loose and Connolly on the rebound scored only for lino to have flag up. One to watch on tv highlights if they show.

Hammond came on for Guly with about 15 minutes left and although Saints couldnt get that third goal to calm the nerves we did have plenty of pressure. In last 5 minutes we had a spell where we kept the ball in their area had about 4 corners and just able to keep pressure on Burnley so they couldnt mount any fightback. 4 minutes of extra time and Lee came on at the end. Managed to win a couple of headers and had a sight of goal so shot, wide into the Northam but a lively player.

Davis 7 solid few high crosses to deal with and one shot well held
Foxe 6 looked reasonably solid and a couple of decent deliveries
Hoovield 8 really looked solid at the back dominant in the air.
Fonte 7 solid game and looks a bit calmer since come back from injury
Richardson 8 another good game and think he will form a decent link with Sharp
Guly 7 bit unpredictable and never quite sure where he would turn up next but does create problems for opposition.
Scheiderlin 7 decent game in the middle
Cork 7 worked hard
Lallana 8 getting back to his old form, one goal and very unlucky with another effort.
Sharp 7 Can only get better as he gets to know the team and style but at last a penalty box striker.
Lambert 8 Really worked hard all game laying the ball of well, took on players and good delivery.

Subs
Connolly 6 unlucky with his "goal" but for me will be sharp first choice every time
Hammond 6 kept the middle ticking over with fresh pair of legs
Lee 6 only couple of minutes but is lively.

Much better performance , looked solid at the back with Hoovield and Fonte together, Lallana and Guly wide gives us good attacking options and Lambert and Sharp up front gives teams a lot to think about creating space for others.

Tough game on Tuesday at West Ham but go into it in much better spirits, if we repeat the performance no reason why we cant get a result there then back at St Marys next week against Derby
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintMike Sat 11 Feb 2012, 11:32 pm

Thanks again Matty, don't know what we would do without you!!
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Sun 12 Feb 2012, 10:30 am

Pleasure Mike, know not everyone has the chance to get to games and can at least give a fans view even if it will be biased!! Look at other saints sites and seems someone will always have a go at you for having a view, might be a bit quiet on here at times but everone behaves like adults!
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostromo Sun 12 Feb 2012, 11:22 am

It's appreciated by those of us who can't get to games, Matty Smile

It sounded yesterday as if Saints were back to their early season best, no coincidence that everyone is now fit/over suspensions and available.
Nostromo
Nostromo

Male
Number of posts : 774
Humor : Warped
Registration date : 2010-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Sun 12 Feb 2012, 1:35 pm

Nostromo wrote:It's appreciated by those of us who can't get to games, Matty Smile

It sounded yesterday as if Saints were back to their early season best, no coincidence that everyone is now fit/over suspensions and available.

Spot on in my opinion, This looked like the siaits in the early part of the season. Was a good balance to the team, attacking down both sides plus Lallana was back to his early season form, maybe taken some time to get over last injury. Think 9 games since Fonte and Hoovield together and the pair did look strong yesterday.

One point Burnley did play 4 4 2 yesterday where as teams that have caused us problems lately have packed the midfield with 1 up front.
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content