SOUTHAMPTON WORLD and STAR BAR:........
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking at things positively....

2 posters

Go down

Looking at things positively.... Empty Looking at things positively....

Post  SaintMike Thu 09 Oct 2008, 8:21 am

Pinched from another site..........

The facts: Championship table looks good for Saints By Benny Younglove
Posted on Wednesday 08 Oct 2008 08:26:00

Any Saints fan with ambitions beyond merely staying up this season might be forgiven for looking at the current Championship table, as we go into the international break, and thinking that it does not look good. Well, in terms of our position, no, it doesn’t. But at this stage of the season what really matters is that we are in touch with the promotion contenders, or at least not that far behind. And even if we are ruling out promotion this season, it would be too early to rule out a play-off spot.

You might already be thinking that this is crazy talk, but let’s look at the facts. Saints are currently 20th out of 24 (not good), on 11 points from 10 games (very average). However, in 22nd, Barnsley only have 8 points, so there is a three point gap. Three points the other way would take Saints into the top half. Four points better off and we’d be, yes it’s true, fifth. Therefore we are practically as close to the play-offs as we are to the relegation zone. A couple of games for better or worse and everything could change.

We may be towards the bottom at the moment, but from 5th to 16th there are only two points. The mid-table positions are really tight and are subject to considerable change. Birmingham, Wolves, Reading, and to some extent Sheffield United are sitting pretty at the top, whereas Nottingham Forest, Doncaster, Barnsley, and to some extent Norwich, languish at the bottom. The other sixteen clubs are separated by just four points, and Saints currently sit at the bottom of that particular pack, as it waits to be shuffled in a week and a half’s time.

Therefore, do not be fooled by Saints’ position. We were warned at the start of the season that it would take months to get things right and we have seen glimmers of things going right already, if not in every game. Poortvliet has spoken this week that “it needs a little bit of time” and though we can’t wait too long, I don’t think there will be many fans who will complain if we are still in our current situation in April. And by that, I don’t necessarily mean 20th position. I mean three points clear of safety, and maybe more inspiringly, just four points behind the play-off places. I’d take that at any time of the season, especially when we’ve still got half a year ahead of us to improve.

Will Saints stabilise in the bottom half, or will we slip under, or even keep pace with the promotion pushers?
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male
Number of posts : 15087
Job/hobbies : Trying to control users of Southampton World
Humor : Forgotten what that is
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://www.ohwhenthesaints.net

Back to top Go down

Looking at things positively.... Empty Re: Looking at things positively....

Post  SFC Forever Fri 24 Oct 2008, 8:38 pm

We will end up mid table once our team has been established.
SFC Forever
SFC Forever
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male
Number of posts : 12257
Job/hobbies : Hoping to see Saints win
Registration date : 2008-09-01

http://www.southampton.vitalfootball.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  SFC Forever Sun 26 Oct 2008, 4:23 pm

I think I may have been a tad optimistic.
SFC Forever
SFC Forever
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  SFC Forever Mon 03 Nov 2008, 10:43 pm

After Preston I have no idea what to think. If we can do it again against Bristol City I honestly believe we will start climbing to a position of good health. Most of our defeats have come fom us not being forceful enough. At Preston it looked as if they had suddenly learned just how easy the game can be with a bit more energy being used. Long may it last.
SFC Forever
SFC Forever
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  SFC Forever Thu 06 Nov 2008, 10:42 pm

Am I right 2 points from 5 games in October. That tally makes it very hard to remain positive. Let's get November into a double figure score. £ points already, so we've had a good start.
SFC Forever
SFC Forever
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down