SOUTHAMPTON WORLD and STAR BAR:........
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WHY THE LOW GATE FOR CHELTENHAM?

2 posters

Go down

WHAT DO YOU BLAME FOR THE LOW GATE? (multiple answers allowed)

WHY THE LOW GATE FOR CHELTENHAM? Vote_lcap12%WHY THE LOW GATE FOR CHELTENHAM? Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 2 ]
WHY THE LOW GATE FOR CHELTENHAM? Vote_lcap18%WHY THE LOW GATE FOR CHELTENHAM? Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 3 ]
WHY THE LOW GATE FOR CHELTENHAM? Vote_lcap12%WHY THE LOW GATE FOR CHELTENHAM? Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 2 ]
WHY THE LOW GATE FOR CHELTENHAM? Vote_lcap0%WHY THE LOW GATE FOR CHELTENHAM? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
WHY THE LOW GATE FOR CHELTENHAM? Vote_lcap18%WHY THE LOW GATE FOR CHELTENHAM? Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 3 ]
WHY THE LOW GATE FOR CHELTENHAM? Vote_lcap0%WHY THE LOW GATE FOR CHELTENHAM? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
WHY THE LOW GATE FOR CHELTENHAM? Vote_lcap24%WHY THE LOW GATE FOR CHELTENHAM? Vote_rcap 24% 
[ 4 ]
[ 2 ]
WHY THE LOW GATE FOR CHELTENHAM? Vote_lcap6%WHY THE LOW GATE FOR CHELTENHAM? Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 17

WHY THE LOW GATE FOR CHELTENHAM? Empty WHY THE LOW GATE FOR CHELTENHAM?

Post  SaintMike Mon 29 Nov 2010, 4:10 pm

Found this on another site.......

There have been many excuses put forward as to why the attendance was so poor for the visit of Cheltenham on Saturday including the cold, a run of home games in quick succession and Xmas looming, however it has to be said that up until this season all those factors were present yet the crowd didnt drop that low, not even last season when the visit of luton in similar circumstances drew over 18,000.

The two FA Cup attendances this season have both been over 5,000 under the previous lowest FA Cup crowd since we have been at SMS, so the giste must be that for a drop of 33% from that number its something other than the cold etc.

Some will say that this 9,276 is something to be proud of in that it was the biggest crowd of the round, that may well be but the facts are that it was also our lowest home attendance since 1912/13 season when 9,000 turned up to see us play Bury, given that attendances were more of an estimate back then its likely that the Bury game had more there it was also the first home FA Cup crowd to drop to below 10,000 since then, indeed its amongst our lowest FA Cup attendances since we moved to the Dell in 1898, so if people feel that having the biggest crowd of the round is something to shout about then more fool them, I personally see it as symptomatic of just how far we have fallen and the fact that we no longer seem to set ourselves the same standards as in the past.

As I have mentioned many times on the message board, there are many excuses why the crowd were so low, but only one real reason and that was the failure of the club to be pro active both in the way it treated its fans and how it marketed the game.

A few weeks back it was clear that the ticketing arrangements and the shutting of stands sent out the wrong message to supporters, it told them that this game was a nothing game and not worth the effort, the fans took their lead from the club and the result was a crowd that was 5,000 below the previous SMS FA Cup low. Whilst the Club could not set the prices any lower and therefore could not be blamed for this they did not learn the lessons from the Shrewsbury tie.

Firstly they repeated the closure of the Kingsland, whilst this could slightly be justified on a cost basis, last season for Luton the stand was opened on a block by block basis as it was in JPT games, this therefore negates the cost aspect, as to open one block has little cost and the more tickets sold the cost becomes less, this worked last season so surely it was folly to repeat an action that had already failed this season and not revert to one that had worked well last season and indeed in both the JPT andCarling Cup this season.

Secondly there was little marketing, games of this nature have to be well marketed, surely this was the opportunity to do some decent kids prices ie kids for a quid, suddenly a father and child can go for £16 which is good value.

Thirdly why, for a match that quite clearly was going to be poorly attended did the Club put on a £2 surcharge on tickets bought on the day, this levy was not there for the first round, so why given the poor turnout that day, was it added,

Fourthly all of these reasons all add up to perception, the fans will come if they perceive th game to be good value and worthwhile, to do that you have to get things right from the start and build up the excitement, this hasnt been done in any shape or form in the two FA Cup ties this year.

Going back to the excuses, if we look at them, they were all present last year, but the crowds still turned up in the Cup, so we have to assume that the reason that many didnt come was not because of those excuses, but for the latter which to be blunt are reasons and there is a big difference.

I dont make these points lightly, I dont say them merely to have a go at the Club or any individual, I point them out because i genuinely wanted a big crowd on Saturday, I wanted us to get 15,000 I wanted the attendance to be double that of every other club in the round and quite frankly i was disapointed when it wasnt, in the past I have helped the club to promote games like this on this website, OK it might not bring in 1000's but if it brings in one extra person its a bonus and its always been part of encouraging fans to go as part of a bigger picture, despite my documented issues with the club at present i would still do whatever i could to help get more people through the turnstiles.

Im sorry if you are one of those who considers that having the highest attendance in the FA Cup 2nd round a success, Im sorry,I dont measure us against Carlisle or Bury or other league 1 or 2 clubs we may find ourselves down there at present and i respect those clubs supporters, but we are made of different stuff and our standards should match our aspirations.

In lidfe there is a saying and it especially applies to football

"Success needs no excuses, Failure needs many."
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male
Number of posts : 15087
Job/hobbies : Trying to control users of Southampton World
Humor : Forgotten what that is
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://www.ohwhenthesaints.net

Back to top Go down

WHY THE LOW GATE FOR CHELTENHAM? Empty Re: WHY THE LOW GATE FOR CHELTENHAM?

Post  matty07uk Mon 29 Nov 2010, 7:01 pm

Saint Mike

I think it was a number of the factors you mentioned but think the Peterborough and Brighton games, where we had 20000 and 26000 meant many people forking out at least £50 in the space of a few days so those folk who are not season ticket holders would have had another £15 to find without travel, drinks etc. When you add in Christmas as well I can understand why so few turned up. We have also taken large followings to away games so even more expense and think its a fact fans would rather pay to go to away games in league 1 then see a Div 2 team at home in the cup

As season ticket holders me and my mate went as we just had to find £15, I think if we had come to the last two games would have not bothered with cup game. Yes we had to pay up front for the season ticket but once you have paid its done and makes the games cheaper than those having to pay on the day. The £2 surcharge for this game does seem a dumb idea but not sure with the weather if it would have put many off coming. We were chanting "stand up if you're freezing cold" as the stewards made their way up the Northam! Plus it wasnt a great game of football, not often you think of a 3 nil win as boring!

I do think the club missed a trick in not inviting schools to attend but that said they had quite a few in chapel for Peterborough game. Plus I don't know how it works for FA Cup games if they are even allowed to give away freebies as the other club take half the gate. I take the point about the marketing folk, another example of not being "in touch" is the after match entertainment in the Itchen concourse. We were going to go after Peterborough game and take the wives, checked website, nothing, checked matchday programme, nothing, on the day couldnt even download the matchday programme as not available! We finally found out when we got to ground and had to ask a steward! What is nuts is it is really good, 3 for 2 drinks (hic), good acoustic band, man of match meeting the fans plus any footie if on TV.

I thought we would have had around 12000 so a bit disappointing but our prices are not cheap for league matches so at the end of the day I am not overly surprised. Hopefully will be a much bigger gate for Blackpool game with plenty of ex saints and an attack minded opposition.

matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male
Number of posts : 3461
Job/hobbies : Golf
Humor : The Simpsons
Registration date : 2009-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintMike Mon 29 Nov 2010, 11:42 pm

Thanks Matty, another well thought out post.
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male
Number of posts : 15087
Job/hobbies : Trying to control users of Southampton World
Humor : Forgotten what that is
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://www.ohwhenthesaints.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down