SOUTHAMPTON WORLD and STAR BAR:........
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Super fans"

4 posters

Go down

"Super fans" Empty "Super fans"

Post  Perennial Underachiever Sun 27 Dec 2009, 10:18 am

I don't know about anyone else, but I am more than a tad p1ssed off with [sarcasm]super fans[/sarcasm] berating those who can't get to games that often. Some of the posts on Saintsweb and elsewhere are full of this rubbish, calling people 'JCLs', 'pikeys', 'plastics' and so on. It just doesn't seem to occur to these morons that a lot of us who don't go on a regular basis either can't afford to go, or can't because of distance or other sound reasons and not because we're plastics or can't be arsed.

This is the sort of thing I mean and it's complete bollix:

It was certainly the case that our masses were outsung by the Exeter fans. And them singing 2-0 and you still don't sing, you're supposed to be at home, you've only got one sons, etc, was an embarassment. OK, great to have a full house, but when block 43 is opened, plus the Itchen corner, they are filled with Johnny come latelies and pikeys who are either disinclined to sing, or do not know the chants. It is almost better not to have block 43 filled from the the point of view of reaction between the two sets of fans, because the block 42 lot react much better when they can see the rival fans.

I am not denying that the Northam was a tad quiet, but to say that Block 43 was filled with JCLs and 'pikey's is an insult. I was in 43 and I am not a JCL or a pikey and neither were the people around me. And, yes, we did do the singing.

Bloody morons.
Perennial Underachiever
Perennial Underachiever
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Number of posts : 2374
Job/hobbies : Wildlife, photography, travel
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

"Super fans" Empty Re: "Super fans"

Post  Jimmy Melia's Barber Sun 27 Dec 2009, 10:42 am

I must have a massive gap in my education because I have no idea what a pikey or JCL is. Embarassed

On Wikipedia it say:
'Pikey is a pejorative slang term used mainly in England to refer to Irish Travellers, gypsies or people of low social class.'

Is it something Saint Paddy would take offence at? And what's a JCL??
Jimmy Melia's Barber
Jimmy Melia's Barber
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male
Number of posts : 1049
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Perennial Underachiever Sun 27 Dec 2009, 11:30 am

JCL = Johnny Come Lately. A perjorative term indicating fans who have recently started attending matches just because the team is doing well.
Perennial Underachiever
Perennial Underachiever
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Number of posts : 2374
Job/hobbies : Wildlife, photography, travel
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Superred Sun 27 Dec 2009, 5:28 pm

As we all know I have two ST's in the family enclosure(Chapel) I was surrounded by the groups of adults that had obviously bought the cheap tickets that had been advertised. Graham my 6 yo tried to do some of the chants and was frozen by some of the looks he got from them. Needless to say I leant forward and told them to either move or shut up. Very politely of course. Then they started on the kid sat next to mine. His dad nearly had a scrap but the family causing the disturbance soon shut up when they realised that they had several season ticket holders around them and they were not being looked upon with favour.
I joined in some of the chants and my boy began making his own up.
I love the fact that we are starting to fill the stadium again. If we are going to have our old wall of sound I think we need to have a major rethink about where certain sections of the fanbase sit. Ther must be a way to return the stadium seating to how it used to be.
PU next season I will probably be in the same position as you. Unable to make as many games as I would like. for me to go with 2 0r 3 of my kids i can kiss £100 goodbye. This season I am pushing the boat out because we have been saved but to continue this will break me financially. So I know how you feel.
Superred
Superred
REGULAR CONTRIBUTOR
REGULAR CONTRIBUTOR

Male
Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2009-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Sun 27 Dec 2009, 8:55 pm

My mate was having a moan about the "missing fans" at the game but I think its great that the club got the pricing right for a game over Christmas and who knows some of those fans may have been their first game and will come back. As for away fans singing all the time well if you go to away games that is what happens, our support at away games has been great and fans there tend to sing most of the game, might have something to do with beer before and on the way there.

This is the first season I have been a season ticket holder despite following saints for far to many years and I dont think any of us have the right to criticise other fans who cant go to every game. As far as I am concerned all are welcome, especially as those fans end up paying more per game and every £ SFC receives is worth the same.
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male
Number of posts : 3461
Job/hobbies : Golf
Humor : The Simpsons
Registration date : 2009-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content