SOUTHAMPTON WORLD and STAR BAR:........
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Those clean sheets - the lack of - have come to haunt us

2 posters

Go down

Those clean sheets - the lack of - have come to haunt us Empty Those clean sheets - the lack of - have come to haunt us

Post  Perennial Underachiever Sun 15 Nov 2009, 8:15 pm

I said a couple of times that our defensive frailties and inability to keep a clean sheet would cost us when a game came along where we just couldn't score, and today I have been proved right (I hate being right, sometimes!). Until now, since September we have outscored the opposition and got the results (although we had a near miss against Leyton Orient). Yes, we had a penalty, but that is a goal on a plate and we would not have scored otherwise, even if we had been there until midnight, while B&HA took their chances.

And that's the crux of the problem: we cannot just rely on scoring loads to defeat the opposition and not being concerned that we can't keep clean sheets, because we will have matches - such as the Leyton Orient game and today's game - where they will shut us out or we are having a bad 'day at the office' in the scoring department. We need to keep the opposition out totally, but we are not doing so and this is worrying. The whole team today had an off-day, especially the defence who were slack and just not performing, yes, Brighton were 'up for it' they had a new boss to impress; that does not detract from the fact that we were more than a tad poor, but does highlight these defensive frailties.

What is it? Lack of concentration? Carelessness? Poor defenders? I don't know, I am a mere fan but I hope AP can sort this out soon because, while I feel that today could be a blip, there will be more matches where we will be hurt and lose points because of these elusive clean sheets.
Perennial Underachiever
Perennial Underachiever
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Number of posts : 2374
Job/hobbies : Wildlife, photography, travel
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Those clean sheets - the lack of - have come to haunt us Empty Re: Those clean sheets - the lack of - have come to haunt us

Post  matty07uk Sun 15 Nov 2009, 10:45 pm

Couldnt agree more that the lack of clean sheets is now becoming a problem, one of the worse records in the league so not a one off. My regular posts show I am no fan of James at RB and because he doesnt,cant tackle it pulls other defenders across and out of position. Murty if fit will improve the situation but would rather have Thomas or Perry there but would target an attacking RB in transfer window. Other problem for me is Midfield who do not tackle and as we always play a wide man on right we end up 4 3 3 most of the time. Hammond and Lallana are two of the best midfield players in the league so hard working midfield players alosngside should be enough.

Tortman has gone of the boil lately but is young and learning the game which is why he is on loan with us. Preston media want him back and looks like he will go in Jan, perhaps not as keen because of that. Either we look to buy him and accept he is learning the game or look for a more experienced CB in transfer window
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male
Number of posts : 3461
Job/hobbies : Golf
Humor : The Simpsons
Registration date : 2009-07-11

Back to top Go down