SOUTHAMPTON WORLD and STAR BAR:........
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Charlton match report

4 posters

Go down

Charlton match report Empty Charlton match report

Post  matty07uk Wed 11 Nov 2009, 10:52 pm

Just back in,absolutely soaked from walk back to car park! One step closer to Wembley and a professional job done if not spectacular. Dominated opening 15 mins then went off the ball but got back into it last 10 min before break and deserved goal, good corner from James and Thomas blasted in. Plenty of other half chances in the box but ball never quite falling to a saints player. Antonio caused problems and certainly unorthodox, did a body slam on one charlton player worthy of WWE! Jaidi was a bit wayward at times in 1st half especially when on the ground but improved second half. Connolly impressed first half very lively but just not working for him

Scheiderlin taken off at half time, didnt look up for it and wonder if carrying an injury. Meant Thomas to RB and James into midfiled and seemed to work as after dodgy 10 minutes Thomas settled in and James made a couple of crunching tackles in midfiled, the tackle he wont do as full back. Waigo came and nearly scored first move. Pressure was mounting and no surprise when Lambert who hadnt had a great gane showed just how valuable he is by rifling in second goal. From that point Saints looked fairly comfortable though did drop deeper and deeper. Charlton scored in injury time but first cross looked well offside. We should have had pen in first half after we scored and ref was up to usual standard for season, useless. Last 2 minutes were more nervous than should have been but Thomas played out clock with series of throws. Charlton were pretty poor and surprised they are still near top of league, didnt really look threatening all game.

Interesting AP gave Bart a start and did nothing wrong and grew in confidence as game went on and considering surface and wet ball handling was good. He gets assist for second goal with quick throw to Harding which started move. Would be a timely reminder to Kelvin to up his game as we have a decent back up.

My view of players

Bart 7 Handled well
James 8 (I know I had to check myself but credit when due)
Jaidi 6 Solid in the air but lttle dodgy on the groundi
Trotman 6 a couple of errors but not easy game to come into as sub
Thomas 7 Better second half, 3 great jumps in 1st half, shame he missed the ball each time!!
Harding 8 Really had a good game my Man of the Match, defended well and also got forward
Schneiderlin 5 Off the pace
Lallana 6 (AP thought he was outstanding but didnt seem that good to me)
Hammond 7 Solid but not spectacular
Antonio 7 lots of effort, caused problems and will get better
Connolly 7 lots of running 1st half
Lambert 7 Not great game but when he scores who cares
Waigo 7 controlled the ball well and pace was a problem on the left
Mellis 6 little time to impress
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male
Number of posts : 3461
Job/hobbies : Golf
Humor : The Simpsons
Registration date : 2009-07-11

Back to top Go down

Charlton match report Empty Re: Charlton match report

Post  matty07uk Wed 11 Nov 2009, 11:15 pm

Forgot to add just under 14000 there tonight which i think is really good considering on Sky and weather.
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete from Oz Thu 12 Nov 2009, 9:26 am

Thanks Matty, a good report mate.
Pete from Oz
Pete from Oz
A VOICE TO BE LISTENED TO
A VOICE TO BE LISTENED TO

Male
Number of posts : 716
Humor : Improving
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Perennial Underachiever Thu 12 Nov 2009, 1:25 pm

Good stuff, Matty. I would have gone to the match but a nasty infection put paid to that idea, so I listened on the radio. Saints certainly sounded quite good, not brilliant - but they didn't have to be - except for the dodgy last ten minutes.
But we STILL can't keep a clean sheet (and my aunt said to me 'You must be feeling better, as you're swearing at the football!' when Charlton's goal went in) and that is a concern. I don't think we have had a clean sheet since the Yeovil game and if we do get a game where we can't score (and we will) then that will hurt us.

Still, another step towards Wembley in what is becoming a very good season indeed.

I like looking at other team's fan forums, not to gloat but because I am genuinely interested in what they have to say. This gem on Charlton Life amused me:

Posted By: Jason1
Southampton are 3rd from bottom and we should steam rolling them

Posted By: BlackForestReds
Taking the points deduction out the equation and they are top half.

Posted By: Jason1
Still in the bottom three though!

LOL, someone is not paying attention, is he? In words of one syllable: Ten. Point. Def. I. Cit. Thicko. lol!
Perennial Underachiever
Perennial Underachiever
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Number of posts : 2374
Job/hobbies : Wildlife, photography, travel
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post  teamsaint Thu 12 Nov 2009, 9:34 pm

haha LOL I think Jason must be a Pompey fan really
teamsaint
teamsaint
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male
Number of posts : 1498
Registration date : 2008-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Thu 12 Nov 2009, 10:45 pm

If you had an infection much better of at home, we parked in Ocean Village and were absolutely soaked by the time we got back to the car! You dont realise sat in the stands as the pitch looks so good just how much rain had fallen so credit to the players as couldnt have been easy conditions.

Agree about how disappointing we cant keep a clean sheet. With 10 min left just got deeper but not the fault of back 4 as they were winning balls being pumped in, midfield for me is the problem. AP has said not the finished article and think this is an area which has to improve. A great example was with about 3 min of normal time left we had the ball, Lallana was playing keep ball, knocking the ball around and to be honest Charlton didnt look like winning the ball back. Ball ends up with Lloyd James at least 25 yds out who shoots for goal. If 0 0 could understand having a go but lets face it James is not known for his shooting, high and wide but more importantly gifted Charlton pocession. Mind you if we can start taking some more of the chances we create might be 4 up with 5 mins to go and then I might strat to relax!
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content