SOUTHAMPTON WORLD and STAR BAR:........
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MOVE SKACEL FORWARD?

3 posters

Go down

MOVE SKACEL FORWARD? Empty MOVE SKACEL FORWARD?

Post  SaintMike Wed 15 Apr 2009, 4:39 pm

From another website...

Czech international Rudi Skacel has expressed why he feels that his time at Southampton has not been a career highlight, suggesting that he has never really had a chance to play in his favoured position.

The £1.6million signing is one of many high wage earners at the club whose contract is due to expire and is unlikely to be renewed.

Speaking in the matchday programme ahead of the Crystal Palace game, Skacel reflected on his experiences when first joining the club:

“My favourite position is playing just behind the striker on the left side. But when I started to play for Southampton it was in more of a holding role. I played left side midfield, but Gareth Bale also liked to get forward and was often ahead of me. And when that happened I had to cover for him.”

Skacel was effectively converted into a left back at Southampton, before he secured a loan deal in Germany, playing for Hertha Berlin. This was a spell that managed to earn a recall into the national squad and is a happy recollection for the 29 year old.

“I was back playing mostly in my favourite midfield position. We improved from 15th place in the Bundesliga to ninth and for me it was like going home, because Berlin is not very far away from Prague.

“I’m 30 in the summer and I still believe I can play at the top level and I am still ambitious to do that. I think I proved at Hertha that if I’m used in my strongest position, I can still perform on the bigger stage and hopefully win some more caps.”

It has never been a surprise to Saints fans that Skacel has wanted to be elsewhere. However, this revelation provides some food for thought.

Could we benefit from the international’s experience in a more attacking role for the last three games?
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male
Number of posts : 15087
Job/hobbies : Trying to control users of Southampton World
Humor : Forgotten what that is
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://www.ohwhenthesaints.net

Back to top Go down

MOVE SKACEL FORWARD? Empty Re: MOVE SKACEL FORWARD?

Post  SFC Forever Wed 15 Apr 2009, 6:43 pm

We have said a few times that we are in our present precarious position because players have been played out of position all season. James and Skacel have done okay as backs but would surely do a far better job played in their best positions.
Young Hatch has never been given the opportunity to try his hand as our right back. Mills had a chance as left back but we had no help for him from midfield because Rudi was not being picked at the time. Even Surman has done okay as leftback once Mills was dropped. Playing Hatch would allow James to play in midfield as Surman playing leftback would allow Rudi to play in his more favourable position.
The worst problem we have had this season is the way we have played and with whom. Even though we are now doing better, we are still showing the same faults in our play that have been on display all season. When we attack our defence is left exposed. There are two reasons for this happening. One is the simple fact that the defence does not keep up with the play, thus leaving wide open spaces for the opposition to exploit. The other is that when attacking the kids forget their responsibilities as a team and go for broke and then fail to get back. Both ways our defemce is exposed and unable to permanently repel the attackers.
Euell and Saga are another pair that weren't allowed to play for a long time. DMG and BWP could possibly find themselves thrust more into midfield positions as we try to find a winning formula for our last three games. Euell has looked out of sorts lately as has Saganoski with neither looking like the players that they once were.
Davis is a good shot stopper but is not good at crosses. Saeijs has brought some much needed strength to our defence. Perry is slow and steady but keeps going and has made some very timely blocks this season. His days are numbered but he could still make a useful cover if we can get another halfback.
I would like to see both backs played in their prefered positions but don't believe this is an option Wotte is considering. I just hope that we can find a scoring partnership to fire us to safety over the next couple of weeks. Mainly because I cannot see us keeping clean sheets.
SFC Forever
SFC Forever
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male
Number of posts : 12257
Job/hobbies : Hoping to see Saints win
Registration date : 2008-09-01

http://www.southampton.vitalfootball.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  teamsaint Wed 15 Apr 2009, 7:31 pm

I think it was you SFC who suggested we play with 3 centre backs with Skacel and James as wing-backs. It would be silly to start trying things out like that now but earlier in the season it could have worked, especially as we have lacked wingers this season but had too many centre midfielders to pick at times.
teamsaint
teamsaint
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male
Number of posts : 1498
Registration date : 2008-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post  SFC Forever Wed 15 Apr 2009, 11:00 pm

The main problem has been the fact that none of our kids were ready for the rough and tumble of the CCC.As you say I first raised the possibility of three at the back because we were too weak and were getting brushed aside to easily. The added CB could and should have helped kids like Ollie learn their trade. The whole season has been a shambles and no matter what we think we have really been screwed by those at the top.
I worry now in case nobody steps forward to offer a rescue bid. I can't believe that we are close as this to the wall. Yet that is exactly what the admin people are telling us.
Please win on Saturday so we can really pack the ground for Burnley.
SFC Forever
SFC Forever
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male
Number of posts : 12257
Job/hobbies : Hoping to see Saints win
Registration date : 2008-09-01

http://www.southampton.vitalfootball.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down