SOUTHAMPTON WORLD and STAR BAR:........
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Better to watch Saints alone or with friends?

4 posters

Go down

Better to watch Saints alone or with friends? Empty Better to watch Saints alone or with friends?

Post  SaintMike Tue 09 Sep 2008, 1:12 am

I nearly always went to matches alone. This may have been partly due to the experience on my 21st birthday, 8th September 1965. In those days I mostly went alone but was sometimes accompanied by my fiancee.

I celebrated my 21st birthday by going to the Dell. It must have been a Tuesday or Wednesday and Saints had a midweek game at home to Coventry. It was early in the 65/66 promotion year. Being my 21st, it seemed right that I should be with my fiancee but I did not want to miss the game so we compromised by going together.

I don't know whether any of you remember the match, but it was the game when Saints keeper John Hollowbread unfortunately broke his leg. The sound of the bone snapping seemed to echo around the ground.........and my fiancee promptly fainted!! I had to leave the ground with her and did not get to see any more of the match. A great 21st!!

For the record I believe Saints' left-half Cliff Huxford went in goal as substitutes were not allowed in those days....and Saints won the game 1-0!
It is lucky that Saints did manage to win it because Coventry ended the season just one point behind Saints, and any other result would have meant Coventry went up and not Saints.

Anyway, enough of my rambling, do you prefer to go to games alone or with friends....and why??
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male
Number of posts : 15087
Job/hobbies : Trying to control users of Southampton World
Humor : Forgotten what that is
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://www.ohwhenthesaints.net

Back to top Go down

Better to watch Saints alone or with friends? Empty Re: Better to watch Saints alone or with friends?

Post  deanovski Tue 09 Sep 2008, 4:04 pm

going to qpr game with my mate,bro,dad,mum,dads friend celebrate my 18th!!!!!!!
deanovski
OCCASIONAL WORDS OF WISDOM
OCCASIONAL WORDS OF WISDOM

Male
Number of posts : 107
Humor : amazing lol
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Better to watch Saints alone or with friends? Empty Re: Better to watch Saints alone or with friends?

Post  SaintMike Tue 09 Sep 2008, 4:53 pm

OK Dean, we need a reporter at the match, will you give your analysis of the game afterwards?
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintMike Mon 15 Sep 2008, 2:59 pm

A few years after the experience on my 21st, my fiancee (by then my wife) went with me to see Saints play at the Hawthorns in the Cup. At half-time she wanted a cup of tea and, not wanting to risk another faint, I queued for it even when I could hear the second half was underway. Of course, the inevitable happened and I missed Saints' goal in a 1-1 draw. I was not amused.

I definitely prefer going to matches alone...
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  SFC Forever Mon 15 Sep 2008, 8:29 pm

I am slowly getting my 4 yo ready to watch a game. At the moment he doesn't have the staying power but soon I hope. At the moment I would be going alone but will be happier once he starts going. Money permitted of course.
SFC Forever
SFC Forever
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male
Number of posts : 12257
Job/hobbies : Hoping to see Saints win
Registration date : 2008-09-01

http://www.southampton.vitalfootball.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  A Pagansaint Tue 16 Sep 2008, 1:02 pm

i been going with my dad since the late 60s and my brother before he passed over. only match i went to alone was the 76 fa cup my old man took me to the ground but didnt have a ticket never got it tell later how peed of with me he was Rolling Eyes mind he did get in to wembley but at the wrong end lol.
were i sit in st marys the guys around us were with us at the old dell so we get on well just seems right.
A Pagansaint
A Pagansaint
REGULAR CONTRIBUTOR
REGULAR CONTRIBUTOR

Male
Number of posts : 148
Job/hobbies : local goverment
Humor : wicked with a hint of sarcasm
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post  SFC Forever Fri 26 Sep 2008, 12:56 am

Bit of a horror show at moment so with someone I would think.
SFC Forever
SFC Forever
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male
Number of posts : 12257
Job/hobbies : Hoping to see Saints win
Registration date : 2008-09-01

http://www.southampton.vitalfootball.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down