SOUTHAMPTON WORLD and STAR BAR:........
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AWAY TO WEST HAM

4 posters

Go down

AWAY TO WEST HAM Empty AWAY TO WEST HAM

Post  SaintMike Thu 29 Mar 2018, 8:16 am

A must-win game......I seem to be saying that about practically every game!

Saints need the 3 points but the vibes are saying they could play well but end with a draw, which might well prove not to be good enough.

I can't help thinking it's rather a pity Saints had to accommodate West Ham by switching the early season match to St Mary's as a home game now might have been more winnable. But then again who knows??
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male
Number of posts : 15087
Job/hobbies : Trying to control users of Southampton World
Humor : Forgotten what that is
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://www.ohwhenthesaints.net

Back to top Go down

AWAY TO WEST HAM Empty Re: AWAY TO WEST HAM

Post  matty07uk Thu 29 Mar 2018, 9:48 pm

Yeah a difficult one to call and suspect WHam fans may feel the same that would have preferred this was at our place as opposed theirs. Whoever scores first will gain a big advantage. Really hoping we win this one, keep it goalless for first 70 minutes then bring on Austin for a quick fire double however Arnautovic is also going to be fired up to get one over Hughes so going for a draw 1-1, not a great result for us but would keep us alive but needing to win one of our games against Chelsea or Arsenal. Wins against Swansea, Bournemouth plus even 3 draws from next 3 games would mean we would have a chance.
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male
Number of posts : 3461
Job/hobbies : Golf
Humor : The Simpsons
Registration date : 2009-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete from Oz Sun 01 Apr 2018, 5:08 am

Now I am depressed.
Pete from Oz
Pete from Oz
A VOICE TO BE LISTENED TO
A VOICE TO BE LISTENED TO

Male
Number of posts : 716
Humor : Improving
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Mon 02 Apr 2018, 4:06 pm

Well an awful performance but then again he started with Tadic and Redmond with also Austin and Gabbadini which again meant the midfield had only 2 players, Lemina and Hojberg. I guess its hard when new but no one seems to see, aside from the fans, that Redmond and Tadic are the problem. Neither are capable of making a tackle and fail to track back which places the midfield and defence under pressure pulling players out of position. If they were great at going forward, create numerous chances score goals it wouldn't matter but they are useless at that as well. Plus to make matters worse Gabbadini played as if no longer interested and has his flight booked back to Italy. If you dropped those 3 and brought in Ward Prowse, Romeau and Long then at least the work rate would be there, the midfield stronger. Romeau has to come back and start though they may wait until after Arsenal as I think after that he will avoid the 2 match ban for 10 bookings in a season. If he plays against Arsenal and gets booked would miss both Chelsea games. If you play JWP in midfield drop Redmond and Tadic, Lemina might play better as not trying to have to do to much plus could always risk Davis in the team.

I would also start Yoshida don't think it matters who you drop out of Hoedt or Stephens, neither are that good.

Game was poor to watch, first goal from our corner where Lemina gave the ball away, second goal when Hojberg gave the ball away and third goal again Lemina making a mistake. Austin made a comment about someone getting back to make a foul etc but when Redmond and Tadic do not track back just who is going to do.

Reed is the real culprit at the club continuing to rake in a ridiculously high salary for such an incompetent, arrogant individual, its not just all the poor buys, poor managerial appointments, failure to have a spine and object to a takeover from someone with dubious intent, making sure he was all right with guaranteed contract for 3 years. He made the manager start the season with just 3 strikers, Long, Austin and Gabbadini knowing Charlie is injury prone. It was Reed who arranged for Gallagher to go on loan when we only had 3 strikers then buys Cabrillo for £20m who is certainly no better than Gallagher, then loans out Targett. Fulham doing really well since he went there yet had a left back everyone is after. Fulham didn't get Targett then sell like Reed would but played both with Segnuson playing further forward and been really successful so why could Targett and Bertrand not play together? Any other club with a chairman that had a clue would have got rid of Reed.

In second half at least Long managed to battle, won a few balls and Austin had a couple of shots on target that were blocked.

McCarthy 6 didn't do much wrong though think at best he is a back up goalie, no wonder saves and his blocks tend to fall back into play.
Cedric 4 probably worse game I have seen him play
Hoedt 4 won a few balls in the air but all over the place on the ground
Stephens 4 don't think he will be anything more than a decent Championship player.
Bertrand 4 pretty awful, would much rather have Targett in the side, will be gone in summer.
Lemina 4 gave the ball away for 2 goals but know there is a good player there he needs support around him
Hojberg 4 again at fault for the second goal, but being asked to do to much and needs to be further forward
Redmond 3 just completely ineffective. Hope he is gone in summer
Tadic 3 not only ineffective but I think worse as he is talented but cannot be bothered, gone in summer
Austin 5 rusty but at least second half had a couple of shots.
Gabbadini 2 real shame as was a decent player, not sure he even touched the ball more than 3 times and lasted just 45 minutes
Subs
Long 5 tried hard and at least won a couple of aerial challenges
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintMike Thu 05 Apr 2018, 10:43 am

Thanks Matty, I agree with a lot of your comments, but would also like to see Sims involved. I see he wasn't even on the bench for this one.
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male
Number of posts : 15087
Job/hobbies : Trying to control users of Southampton World
Humor : Forgotten what that is
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://www.ohwhenthesaints.net

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Fri 06 Apr 2018, 7:54 pm

Mike, we all said that about Sims but was apparently carrying an injury, if fit will expect to see him in the squad on Sunday
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  SFC Forever Wed 11 Apr 2018, 8:59 pm

The Hammers game was frightening. We were worse than I have ever seen us play in all the years I have followed the Saints.

No heart, no leader, no hope unless we can drastically improve.
SFC Forever
SFC Forever
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male
Number of posts : 12257
Job/hobbies : Hoping to see Saints win
Registration date : 2008-09-01

http://www.southampton.vitalfootball.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content