SOUTHAMPTON WORLD and STAR BAR:........
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PALACE AT ST MARY'S

3 posters

Go down

PALACE AT ST MARY'S Empty PALACE AT ST MARY'S

Post  SaintMike Mon 02 Mar 2015, 1:08 am

Can Saints remember how to get a win at home?

......I see Palace got a decent win away to West Ham on Saturday.

No vibes at all yet!!
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male
Number of posts : 15087
Job/hobbies : Trying to control users of Southampton World
Humor : Forgotten what that is
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://www.ohwhenthesaints.net

Back to top Go down

PALACE AT ST MARY'S Empty Re: PALACE AT ST MARY'S

Post  Pete from Oz Tue 03 Mar 2015, 9:49 am

Need this one to stop the rot. Not confident though.
Pete from Oz
Pete from Oz
A VOICE TO BE LISTENED TO

Male
Number of posts : 716
Humor : Improving
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintMike Tue 03 Mar 2015, 11:02 am

My vibes can't make their mind up......one minute I see a 2-0 win, the next I see a 1-2 defeat. Either way at least we would score a goal for a change.....
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Tue 03 Mar 2015, 11:13 pm

Utter relief, a win and a goal and feel exhausted.

Have to say wasn't sure it would end that way and Koeman is quite lucky tonight as he stuck to a system which for me has been sussed by everyone and needs to change the shape but seems reluctant to move from 4 3 3. The problem when you play Duricici, and Elija with Pelle is they stay to far away, Pelle gets isolated and even though tonight he won quite a few aerial challenges unlike Saturday, no one near him to pick up the knock down. When he made his first sub he took off Elija but put on Tadic so no better off. bringing on Ward Prowse towards the end was the key as it finally gave Schneiderlin and Wanyama some support. Both of them made mistakes tonight but the work they got through was huge and they looked knackered but with Ward Prowse in midfield they were able to share the load. He has to ditch 4 3 3 and play 4 4 2 or 4 3 1 2 but with 3 proper midfield players who can tackle. That means that only one out of Tadic, Elija or Duricici should be on the pitch at the same time.

first half we dominated possession but still struggled to shoot, and we had pretty poor efforts from Elija and duricic. One cross was met by Schneiderlin with a fancy flick but no real threat to Speroni. Despite dominating saints could have gone behind when a long deep cross was fumbled by Forster, under no pressure and he failed to hold onto the ball and Zaha nearly got there first. saints had a few corners but delivery by Schneiderlin was not very good. Pelle had a chance from one where ball was pulled back but he slid in with wrong foot and placed the ball wide.

Palace seem more confident second half and started the better. Puncheon had a shot that Forster saved well. They had another shot then Zaha hit the post with a rebound as we began to look ragged, a simple case that our midfield were being over run causing gaps in defence, starting to think would settle for a 0 0 draw. we had a couple of shots but neither troubled Speroni, high and over the top. Tadic came on and we nearly scored when a cross from Schneiderlin was just missed by Yoshida, I had predicted him to score! Tadic took a free kick but again wasted as went over the bar, should have waited for JWP to come on. Long came on and made a nuisance of himself, made a good run and a decent hard low cross which can be hard to defend, which was just as well as no else in the box. Just when it would looked we would never score we finally got a break through. JWP picked the ball up running to the left and as a gap opened up went more direct and had a shot, Speroni saved to his right with his feet but Mane had read well and in perfect position to bang in from 6 yards,. Cue celebrations of mass relief.

Amazingly 4 minutes of extra time added, same as against WBA who spent the whole game wasting time. Palace lumped a few balls in the box and a few scrambled moments and nervous finish but saints held out. Another poor refereeing performance from Atkinson, Keith Hackett a former referee said he should have been sacked after the Chelsea game and again a poor performance, slow in making decisions, inconsistent and unable to keep up with the play.

Mightily relieved and saints now go for a short break but hope Koeman realises he needs to drop all his creative players out wide and then we will create more clear cut chances.

Forster 6 a couple of decent saves but crosses are his weak point.
Clyne 6 again no where near his early season form
Yoshida 7 another decent game, made a few errors but always redeemed himself
Fonte 6 a few errors think the pressure as capt was getting to him
Bertand 7 not his best game but still gave us some attacking options and strong defensively
Schneiderlin 6 better than Saturday and looked more comfortable when JWP came on.
Wanyama 7 got through a lot of work, slipped a few times so some new boost wouldn't go amiss.
Duricici 5 couple of neat touches but scared if he sees sight of goal, lacks bottle and cannot see him making it in premier league
Elija 6 doesn't seem to have a left foot which is not helpful when on left wing, always has to cut back inside
Pelle 6 mostly for his aerial challenges he won, never looked close to scoring.
Mane 8 got that all important goal, and his pace did cause problems, seems also to stay on his feet more now, Duricici to note please

Subs
Tadic 6 yes played some decent balls but has to learn to tackle if in midfield
JWP 7 made some poor passes giving the ball away but helped make the goal and gave balance to the midfield
Long 6did make a difference and he surely must start soon
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male
Number of posts : 3461
Job/hobbies : Golf
Humor : The Simpsons
Registration date : 2009-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintMike Wed 04 Mar 2015, 12:21 am

Mightily relieved although the game was far from a classic.

Thanks again Matty.
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete from Oz Wed 04 Mar 2015, 5:03 am

Thanks Matty.
Pete from Oz
Pete from Oz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintMike Wed 04 Mar 2015, 11:33 pm

All the wrong results tonight.....Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal, Man United, Liverpool and Spurs all winning. I had thought (well hoped anyway) that at least one or two would slip up.
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Thu 05 Mar 2015, 7:28 pm

In reality no major surprises and if Stoke and Everton had drawn I would have had a 6 match accumulator!

As it is had to settle for a 3 and 4 match accumulator on Sky so £150 better off so I cannot complain!!!
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintMike Sat 07 Mar 2015, 12:37 am

Great stuff.....I know where to go for a loan!! Very Happy
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Mon 09 Mar 2015, 7:55 pm

At very competitive rates Very Happy
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete from Oz Tue 10 Mar 2015, 7:35 am

I'm sure it would be Matty. BTW, what's your take on the England cricket team ? They were very poor on this tour.
Pete from Oz
Pete from Oz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  matty07uk Wed 11 Mar 2015, 7:46 pm

Pete

they have been poor for some time now and I am not a fan of Moores, he maybe technically a good coach but I am not sure he really has a personality and at this level you have to be able to motivate players which is not just the Captains job.

The bowling attack is now getting old, and don't see any raw youngsters coming through plus the County championship I think is a joke, hasn't moved on in years, no pressure cricket.

probably best thing to happen not making qualification otherwise would have been like the football team get out of the group stage and say job well done. This way they will have to do something, though I wouldn't bring back Peterson, to selfish
matty07uk
matty07uk
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER
CHIEF MATCH REPORTER

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete from Oz Mon 16 Mar 2015, 10:31 am

I agree with you about KP, he is mega talented but plays for himself.

Despite this, the Ashes series later this year will be close, because the Oz team doesn't play well in England, plus our best bowler Ryan Harris is almost on one leg these days with his knee problems - this is likely to be his series. A shame really because he is a great bowler. Broad and Anderson will still be a handful as well. A key to this series is how Warner goes. Last time in England he was poor and unable to cope with the swinging ball. Since then he has improved greatly but is yet to be tested against quality swing.
Pete from Oz
Pete from Oz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content