SOUTHAMPTON WORLD and STAR BAR:........
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PHILIP MARTIN BROWN.......GRANTLY BUDGEN

+21
LennyLion
Jimmy Melia's Barber
Its All SouthamptonFC
AlbionBandMarchesOn
GROUCHO
SaintRobbie
DellBoy
Give it some Welly
Hot Cross Ben
get stuck in
SaintsChick
play it again sam
half pint
another fine mess
saint_lambden
Bantly Grudgen
Owen D Saints
North End Mam
Jillyanne
Bob's your Uncle
SaintMike
25 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

PHILIP MARTIN BROWN.......GRANTLY BUDGEN - Page 2 Empty Re: PHILIP MARTIN BROWN.......GRANTLY BUDGEN

Post  SaintMike Tue 21 Jun 2011, 6:43 pm

I've had this message from Philip on Twitter....

"hi mike I started replying to some Questions but then my Internet went down. I hope to continue tomorrow. Please explain ta"

I think Phil has given us some great answers today and am just real pleased he is giving his time to us. Look forward to hearing from him again.
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male
Number of posts : 15087
Job/hobbies : Trying to control users of Southampton World
Humor : Forgotten what that is
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://www.ohwhenthesaints.net

Back to top Go down

PHILIP MARTIN BROWN.......GRANTLY BUDGEN - Page 2 Empty Re: PHILIP MARTIN BROWN.......GRANTLY BUDGEN

Post  AlbionBandMarchesOn Tue 21 Jun 2011, 11:43 pm

Hi Philip

Of course to win the 76 cup final was fantastic, but I thought when we met again in the 5th round (think it was 5th round) the following year it was a far better game of quality football. Think it was 2-2 but we narrowly lost the replay at Old Trafford. Football's a funny old game, all saints fans remember 76 when we won but to my mind it was a pretty ordinary match (sorry fellow saints fans) but very few remember 77 when we were f.(for pardon my french) amazing!
AlbionBandMarchesOn
AlbionBandMarchesOn
A VOICE TO BE LISTENED TO

Male
Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2009-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post  AlbionBandMarchesOn Tue 21 Jun 2011, 11:50 pm

Philip, do you have hanging around Old Trafford any players who can't get a chance in the first team but who deserve a game and have enough quality to help a championship club like saints push for promotion? Please have a quiet word with Sir Alex and get him to send them in our direction on loan!
AlbionBandMarchesOn
AlbionBandMarchesOn

Male
Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2009-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Its All SouthamptonFC Wed 22 Jun 2011, 12:24 am

Hi, I love Waterloo Road, but then I have watched /read many school films, tv series and books.
I count among my favourites Goodbye Mr Chips (top of my list), Tom Brown's Schooldays (although the film scared me as a kid), Mr Holland's Opus (2nd on my list) and The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie.
Embarassed And I also enjoyed Billy Bunter of Greyfriars, Jimmy Edwards and Arthur Howard in Whacko, Please Sir and Grange Hill.
The only one I could not stand was St Trinians! (although I admire Alistair Sim as an actor).

Do you have any favourite school novels, films and series?
Its All SouthamptonFC
Its All SouthamptonFC
SPEAKS WHEN HAS TO
SPEAKS WHEN HAS TO

Male
Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2010-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimmy Melia's Barber Wed 22 Jun 2011, 12:35 am

Welcome onboard Philip, I hope you will keep in touch and that you will continue to look in now and again after this question and answer session is finished.

I noticed with interest that you work as a supply teacher when you are not acting. Do you find that the experience you gain when teaching helps in your role as Grantly Budgen? And vice versa??
Jimmy Melia's Barber
Jimmy Melia's Barber
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male
Number of posts : 1049
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  LennyLion Wed 22 Jun 2011, 1:22 am

Good to see you here.

In appearing in approximately 60 episodes of the series, how many Headteachers has Grantly worked under? I think I can count at least four. If Grantly were a real teacher how do you think he would have rated his bosses? Which Headteachers would he have approved of and which would he have disliked? And please give your reasons.

Oh my.....that sounds like an English Lit 'O Level' question.....sorry.
LennyLion
LennyLion
SPEAKS WHEN HAS TO
SPEAKS WHEN HAS TO

Male
Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2009-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Saint-Paddy Wed 22 Jun 2011, 1:43 am

Hey there!
Over the years I have been a great fan of Casualty.
Some of my favourite characters have been Baz (played by Julia Watson), Charlie (Derek Thompson), Duffy (Cathy Shipton) and Ruth (Georgia Taylor). Did you work with any of them. Can you tell us anything about them?
Saint-Paddy
Saint-Paddy
REGULAR CONTRIBUTOR
REGULAR CONTRIBUTOR

Male
Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2009-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  beatlesaint Wed 22 Jun 2011, 5:12 pm

Hi Philip,

I have to see the wife and I always watch Waterloo Road. You are my favourite character, probably because when I was at school I had an English teacher who was very much like the character of Grantly.

Did you base him on anyone or has he purely developed as a result of the scripts you are given ?

Thanks, Lee
beatlesaint
SILENT OBSERVER
SILENT OBSERVER

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

PHILIP MARTIN BROWN.......GRANTLY BUDGEN - Page 2 Empty giggling

Post  Bantly Grudgen Wed 22 Jun 2011, 5:56 pm

[quote="North End Mam"]Waterloo Road is great entertainment although the storylines can be a little far-fetched sometimes, you might agree. Are there any amusing behind-the-scenes stories or bloomers you can tell us about please?[/quote
hi , i'm glad you find the show good entertainment . thanks . yes the storylines are a bit far fetched but who would want to see teachers filling in forms and completing paperwork for an hour ?we have to use dramatic licence .lots of us forget lines from time to time and today chalky , tom and i had a terrible fit of the giggles . the more serious the scene the harder it is to keep a straight face .
Bantly Grudgen
Bantly Grudgen
SPECIAL GUEST
SPECIAL GUEST

Male
Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2011-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob's your Uncle Thu 23 Jun 2011, 1:09 pm

Sorry it's me again...

Is there any series you would specially like to be given the chance to appear in?

You have played Grantly for quite a long time now, do you think there is any likelihood of you becoming typecast??
Bob's your Uncle
Bob's your Uncle

Male
Number of posts : 845
Humor : Yep, I laugh whenever I look in a mirror
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob's your Uncle Sun 26 Jun 2011, 11:54 pm

Mike, has Philip's internet gone down again?
Bob's your Uncle
Bob's your Uncle

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintMike Mon 27 Jun 2011, 10:56 am

I have received a message from Philip this morning to say that he hopes to have time to get back here soon.
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Bantly Grudgen Mon 27 Jun 2011, 5:00 pm

Owen D Saints wrote: hi

The acting when Fleur had to go into care was absolutely great, you deserved an award for that. What memories do you have of those scenes?

I hugely enjoyed that storyline as it gave me something dramatic to do rather than "sniping" from behind a newspaper . I loved working with Lorraine Cheshire ( Fleur ) and , of course , having Denise Welch back was great .
Bantly Grudgen
Bantly Grudgen
SPECIAL GUEST
SPECIAL GUEST

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Bantly Grudgen Mon 27 Jun 2011, 5:17 pm

saint_lambden wrote:Hi Phil, great fan of Waterloo Road and the drama involved every week.

Do you think it is important that scenes/events on programmes like Eastenders and Waterloo Road, examples being the Ronnie Mitchell 'baby snatch' storyline and Denzil's daredevil stunts recently, are broadcasted on TV as they create debate and controversy?

Football related ones - do you see United often or does your work restrict you? Do you think the club will be as successful after Sir Alex leaves or will it take time for a similar level of success to be obtained? Are you as concerned as other United fans about the Glazers and the huge debt that is rising at the club through their spending?

I believe it is important for the show to tackle relevent and topical issues for school age children . It is amazing how often we shoot a storyline and then see the same topic in the news soon after . I do see Utd. often , especially when working in Manchester . It will be difficult for any subsequent manager and the best thing Fergie can do is KEEP OUT OF THE WAY. I remember Sir Matt retiring and the pressure of him meddling in each new managers business proved too much to bear . I don't much care for the green and gold campaign as you can't turn the clock back .
Bantly Grudgen
Bantly Grudgen
SPECIAL GUEST
SPECIAL GUEST

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintMike Tue 28 Jun 2011, 1:12 am

Thanks Philip, you're doing a great job.
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Give it some Welly Tue 28 Jun 2011, 10:41 am

You must have been stopped in the street many times by people recognising you. Have there been times people thought you were someone else or any other amusing incidents when meeting members of the public?
Give it some Welly
Give it some Welly
SILENT OBSERVER
SILENT OBSERVER

Male
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post  McGrathTakesNoPrisoners Wed 29 Jun 2011, 11:45 am

Hi Philip

When you work as a supply teacher are there times you find yourself slipping into Grantly's character or is Grantly completely separate?
McGrathTakesNoPrisoners
McGrathTakesNoPrisoners
REGULAR CONTRIBUTOR
REGULAR CONTRIBUTOR

Male
Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2009-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob's your Uncle Thu 30 Jun 2011, 8:33 pm

I understand if you want to ignore this one but can you say how pay is worked out for a series like Waterloo road? Would you get paid for the series as a whole? Or would you get paid for each episode you appear in? And would you get paid less for an episode if you were only in it briefly? not sure
Bob's your Uncle
Bob's your Uncle

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriel the Saint Sat 02 Jul 2011, 12:13 am

Hi I always enjoy watching you on Waterloo Road.

Would you consider taking a part in a soap? Which soap would you choose?
Gabriel the Saint
Gabriel the Saint
SILENT OBSERVER
SILENT OBSERVER

Male
Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-07-22

Back to top Go down

PHILIP MARTIN BROWN.......GRANTLY BUDGEN - Page 2 Empty Friends

Post  Bantly Grudgen Mon 04 Jul 2011, 9:01 am

another fine mess wrote:The Waterloo Road series has thrown up many memorable characters over the years........which actors and actresses were the 'characters' behind the scenes? Who were the jokers/pranksters? Who were the serious joes?

Which actors and actresses have you been closest friends with?

Did you, or any of the others, have superstitions you can tell us about please?
Without doubt the biggest joker on WR was Denise Welch . She could be in the middle of telling a rude story but when the director called action she immediately became Steph Haydock . Quite a feat ! Mark Benton runs her a very close second though . He never fails to make me giggle . He has a naturally funny face and if I know he is looking at me and trying to make me giggle then I don't have to see him - I just start giggling . Will Ash who played Chris Mead was serious but lovely never the less . My closest friends on the show are Jason Done ( Tom ) and Denise .
Bantly Grudgen
Bantly Grudgen
SPECIAL GUEST
SPECIAL GUEST

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Bantly Grudgen Mon 04 Jul 2011, 9:05 am

Saint-Paddy wrote:Hey there!
Over the years I have been a great fan of Casualty.
Some of my favourite characters have been Baz (played by Julia Watson), Charlie (Derek Thompson), Duffy (Cathy Shipton) and Ruth (Georgia Taylor). Did you work with any of them. Can you tell us anything about them?
Hi , Derek Thompson is a lovely guy and generous to a fault . I enjoyed my time on Casualty very much but didn't get the chance to work with the others you mention .
Bantly Grudgen
Bantly Grudgen
SPECIAL GUEST
SPECIAL GUEST

Male

Back to top Go down

PHILIP MARTIN BROWN.......GRANTLY BUDGEN - Page 2 Empty Work

Post  Bantly Grudgen Mon 04 Jul 2011, 9:12 am

Gabriel the Saint wrote:Hi I always enjoy watching you on Waterloo Road.

Would you consider taking a part in a soap? Which soap would you choose?
I would consider any job . Corrie is my favourite soap as it is so well written and acted . I enjoy the humour in the show . I did appear in 9 eps of it as D.I. Pinnock investigating Tommy's murder .
Bantly Grudgen
Bantly Grudgen
SPECIAL GUEST
SPECIAL GUEST

Male

Back to top Go down

PHILIP MARTIN BROWN.......GRANTLY BUDGEN - Page 2 Empty barnet

Post  Bantly Grudgen Tue 05 Jul 2011, 7:09 am

another fine mess wrote:Apparently this was you as John Adams in 'The Bounty'. You have changed a lot!! Was it a wig?

PHILIP MARTIN BROWN.......GRANTLY BUDGEN - Page 2 67821-2295
no , not a wig , all my own . I was only 27 though !
Bantly Grudgen
Bantly Grudgen
SPECIAL GUEST
SPECIAL GUEST

Male

Back to top Go down

PHILIP MARTIN BROWN.......GRANTLY BUDGEN - Page 2 Empty typecasting

Post  Bantly Grudgen Tue 05 Jul 2011, 7:15 am

Bob's your Uncle wrote:Sorry it's me again...

Is there any series you would specially like to be given the chance to appear in?

You have played Grantly for quite a long time now, do you think there is any likelihood of you becoming typecast??
All actors are to a degree typecast as producers want actors to be as close to the character as possible . I would never play Romeo now for instance . I would like to think I'M open to any offers of work .
Bantly Grudgen
Bantly Grudgen
SPECIAL GUEST
SPECIAL GUEST

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Bantly Grudgen Thu 04 Apr 2013, 12:31 am

Ta for the message about me leaving Waterloo Road Mike. very excited about the future
Bantly Grudgen
Bantly Grudgen
SPECIAL GUEST
SPECIAL GUEST

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2