SOUTHAMPTON WORLD and STAR BAR:........
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TEAM SELECTIONS

2 posters

Go down

TEAM SELECTIONS Empty TEAM SELECTIONS

Post  SFC Forever Wed 03 Sep 2008, 5:43 pm

Blackpool saw us struggle through a lack of pace in the heart of defence. At times it seemed as though Blackpool could simply waltz passed at any time.We played some attractive football but lacked a cutting edge. John should have been brought on a lot earlier because his size and strength immediately caused some alarm in Blackpools defence. When will Ollie get a chance? Can anyone think of a player who needs to be playing and in whose place?
SFC Forever
SFC Forever
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male
Number of posts : 12257
Job/hobbies : Hoping to see Saints win
Registration date : 2008-09-01

http://www.southampton.vitalfootball.co.uk

Back to top Go down

TEAM SELECTIONS Empty Re: TEAM SELECTIONS

Post  SaintMike Thu 04 Sep 2008, 1:36 am

Perhaps Skacel, Cork and Pekhart will be given a chance but not sure who should make way for them.
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male
Number of posts : 15087
Job/hobbies : Trying to control users of Southampton World
Humor : Forgotten what that is
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://www.ohwhenthesaints.net

Back to top Go down

Post  SaintMike Thu 04 Sep 2008, 10:22 am

Pinched from another site:

'Having assembled his squad from both the old guard and the new crop, Jan Poortvliet now faces the challenge of blending his chosen group with a whole host of new signings and returning players. Of the four players acquired in the week or so leading up to the transfer window closure, only Jack Cork has made his debut, leaving three new players still to make their maiden appearances. Coupled with that, reserve players Skacel, Euell and the fit again Ollie Lancashire are all set to join up with the first team again, either bolstering competition or upsetting the dynamic, depending on how you look at it.

With some tweaking, it seems that Poortvliet has now settled on his preferred starting XI. It differs for cup games and the substitutes change, but Davis, James, Perry, Svensson, Surman, Schneiderlin, Gillett, Lallana, White, Holmes and McGoldrick have played together in consecutive league appearances. There are, however, two weeks between the Blackpool defeat and the trip to Loftus Road, and I for one would be very surprised if this team does not change in the meantime, and several more times over the next month or so.

Cork has come in and will be pushing for a starting place, together with Lancashire, who has revealed on the official site that on deadline day “I was going to go on loan to Leyton Orient in League One, but the manager wanted me to stay and try and push for a starting place here, which is promising.

“The first team is hopefully where I am heading,” said the 19-year-old. “Hopefully by Christmas I will be in there.”

With Perry and Svensson looking less than impressive against Blackpool, there could well be a reshuffle in defence, as well as in midfield too. Anthony Pulis has come in, as has Romain Gasmi. The former might be utility cover and the latter is injured for four to six weeks, but to complicate matters further, Rudi Skacel and Jason Euell have also been recalled from the Reserves after the uncertainty surrounding their futures has ended, at least for now. Either player could figure at full-back or midfield, creating further potential for change.

Tomas Pekhart provides further options up front and Bradley Wright-Phillips now has both personal matters and transfer rumours cleared up and hopefully forgotten about.

All of this therefore means that up to eight new players will be knocking on Poortvliet’s door, calling for the chance to prove themselves and oust the still inexperienced first team choices. With the likes of Bialkowski, Thomas, Thomson, Wotton, Dyer and John also all competing to break through, the one thing guaranteed is competition.

But the question emerges: Is this competition healthy for the squad or will it upset the consistency and faith from their manager that our young players need, knowing that they can develop without fear of making a mistake?'
SaintMike
SaintMike
Forum Moddie
Forum Moddie

Male
Number of posts : 15087
Job/hobbies : Trying to control users of Southampton World
Humor : Forgotten what that is
Registration date : 2008-08-30

http://www.ohwhenthesaints.net

Back to top Go down

Post  SFC Forever Thu 04 Sep 2008, 9:38 pm

That seems to be a very sensibly arranged article.
I for one was very surprised that Cork didn't play against Blackpool. I would also have had Peckhart on the bench. BWP I would not pick for anything. Too lightweight and inferior to McG on my reckoning. Totally agree with doubts about our centre back pairing.
SFC Forever
SFC Forever
PILLAR OF THE FORUM
PILLAR OF THE FORUM

Male
Number of posts : 12257
Job/hobbies : Hoping to see Saints win
Registration date : 2008-09-01

http://www.southampton.vitalfootball.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content